Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver to Alberta Trip Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do we report this?
Good question. I think the first step would be to ask the MODERATOR to start a new thread in a more appropriate section, move posts 158-160 into it and see if we get more responses in addition to the Coquihalla Highway corridor. I should have made my post that way, instead of dropping it in here (20/20 hindsight).

If it's more appropriate for me to start a new thread elsewhere and paste in some of the comments from here, that's fine too. Just not sure what the best action is.

If Tesla is watching (I suspect they are), that's probably the best way to get it to them, with multiple examples.

I believe they are using someone else's vision system and software to read the signs, so how much ability Tesla has to fix it I don't know... but constructive feedback is always good.

I offered up my name for the testing program, but have never been called for duty.

Last edited:
Not entirely related to trip planning in this corridor, but related to the corridor itself... has anyone had *any* success with the on-board camera recognizing the 120 km/h signs on the Coquihalla? My experience has been largely with the Merritt-Kamloops section (both directions). I like to set the cruise and watch the limit marker on the speedo... it has not correctly read any of the signs along that route, ever, that I've noted.

Yesterday, heading north, it decided the limit was 60 km/h around the top of the climb out of Merritt (about opposite the southbound brake check)! I didn't actually see the sign that might have triggered that. No other roads around to add confusion.

The nav system seems to rely upon the Google information, which apparently still shows the highway as 110 km/h. I'm actually starting to wonder if there is a speed above which it simply ignores the signs, because they're big, relatively close to the highway and very clearly marked. It's successfully read far worse.

I've had pretty good luck with the recognition system on other highways and byways in the region, but the Coq is apparently a complete enigma for it.

Anyone else taken note?

I also experienced this. It appeared to me that on these signs they pasted a "2" over the original "1" in 110 and I was wondering if the "2" was a different (possibly non-reflective) material that confuses the camera.

I also experienced this. It appeared to me that on these signs they pasted a "2" over the original "1" in 110 and I was wondering if the "2" was a different (possibly non-reflective) material that confuses the camera.
I couldn't detect the actual sticker very easily, but I did note that the actual digit was a little narrower than seemed appropriate for the font. However, when I was looking for a place to make my first post, I saw this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/37514-Prank-road-sign-fools-Speed-Assist which suggests the camera system should be able to read this one... if it was able to read the spray paint!

It makes me wonder if there is something else going on, like the offset of the sign from the edge of the traveled lane, or the location of the telspar sign post relative to the placard. Sounds like it's a completely repeatable problem though, on several cars.

Creston Chargers

I'm looking at Creston BC as an option to getting the Spokane WA. Plug share and Tesla both show two HPWC on the same street close together. But the only pictures I can find show it attached to the Visitor Centre. Does anyone know if there are actually two chargers in town? (sorry it's not Vancouver to Alberta planning).
http://creston.ca/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=59&ARC=124

Now that I've looked at it again. I think Canmore to Creston would be a 100% run (409 km). Once Kelowna is up and running I could do it that route with a short stop in Greenwood.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder if there is something else going on, like the offset of the sign from the edge of the traveled lane, or the location of the telspar sign post relative to the placard. Sounds like it's a completely repeatable problem though, on several cars.
Or maybe, just maybe, the simplest explanation is that the system just can't read a 120kph sign because it's sanity check says "not a chance!"

Far simpler than any of the other convoluted explanations you've been giving...

Or maybe, just maybe, the simplest explanation is that the system just can't read a 120kph sign because it's sanity check says "not a chance!"

Far simpler than any of the other convoluted explanations you've been giving...
Well my post you've quoted was from July. Since that time, we saw improvements in the camera system with the AP release (IMHO anyway) - signs it used to miss it now reads reliably. But not the 120 signs. I've since stated elsewhere that I suspect there is an issue with the system accepting the idea that 120 km/h is actually a legitimate speed. The digits are clear so I don't think the recognition of the digits can be the problem. But given the bizarre behaviour and even the completely ridiculous speeds it introduces (apparently) from the GPS on the Coq, one has to wonder where the problem is. 120 is apparently accepted by the cars in Europe.

Now is the time to drive highway 5A between Kamloops and Merritt.

Yesterday I was up in Kamloops for soccer and decided to take highway 5A back from Kamloops to Merritt. In the spring, this drive is somewhat reminiscent to driving in the highlands of Scotland. Everything is green and the road runs along the terrain with views of rolling hills and grasslands. I didn't take any pictures, but I really should have. It is a MUCH preferred drive to taking the Coquihalla.

5A starts pretty much at the supercharger in Kamloops and crosses over the freeway and climbs out of town. The road surface is a bit beat up until you are out of town and then it is absolutely pristine down to the north end of Nicola lake. From there it is still good with a few cracks into Merritt, where it intersects the Coquihalla (exit 290) at the airport/Tim Hortons/Starbucks/Walmart/McDonalds/Home Restaurant/Canadian Tire/Extra Foods/pretty much everything. Chances are the promised Merritt supercharger will also be at this intersection.
Saw half a dozen to a dozen northbound vehicles along the entire route and didn't see a single southbound vehicle until we reached Quilchena. Distance is ~90km; battery consumption ~110km of rated range. That was with a considerable headwind and driving at 100kph. This route stays quite a bit lower than the Coquihalla.

As I stated at the top, now is the time of year to drive this route. In a month or two everything will be dried out and brown and the road full of RVs. I expect that the fall will also be a great time of year to ride this road. I do not know how well it is maintained in the winter.

• Informative
Reactions: doubeld and Lon12
Now is the time to drive highway 5A between Kamloops and Merritt.

Yesterday I was up in Kamloops for soccer and decided to take highway 5A back from Kamloops to Merritt. In the spring, this drive is somewhat reminiscent to driving in the highlands of Scotland. Everything is green and the road runs along the terrain with views of rolling hills and grasslands. I didn't take any pictures, but I really should have. It is a MUCH preferred drive to taking the Coquihalla.
Absolutely! This is my favourite local road to take 'just for a drive'. I would add that even in the heat of summer, the terrain and scenery is still very interesting and photogenic. I find that driving it north is a completely different drive than going south. Both great. Just different perspective on the land, thanks to the way the shadows fall. I like heading north in the later afternoon or early morning when the sun is lower on the horizon and the shadows are more defined.

it's a longer drive, time-wise, that going over the Coq... but much more interesting and easier on power consumption. Generally well-maintained in winter, but you do need to be careful as there is no median space between opposing directions as on the Coq!

I went even more remote than the 5A yesterday. I was at my cabin in Tulameen and I needed to get to Kelowna to help my daughter move out of UBCO in Kelowna. So I could either backtrack to Princeton to get to the 5A, or I could take Coalmont Road through the scenic valley from Tulameen to the connector at Aspen Grove. In my Tahoe Hybrid there's no question -- I take the shortcut. In my Tesla, I did think twice about it but I went for it since it's such a beautiful drive, especially this time of year, even though it's gravel for 32 km after you leave Tulameen, and it's narrow at places. Plus, there's no cell phone coverage for practically all of it and it's rare to see anyone else the entire drive. I wasn't concerned about range, since I charged fully in Tulameen and it's less than 2 hours to Kelowna . I was more concerned about sharp rocks on the road and potholes -- and no spare! But they keep that road pretty well maintained and even plough it in the winter (although I wouldn't do it with my RWD S in the winter). It was a great early morning drive. I saw a small black bear and plenty of deer.

but you do need to be careful as there is no median space between opposing directions as on the Coq!

I'd take just a dividing line! I worry most about logging trucks coming the other way on the gravel back roads.

As an aside, I tested my new Chademo in Princeton (free Chademo there) and it worked great!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: doubeld and Lon12
I went even more remote than the 5A yesterday.
As more charging locations appear, the ability to take the road less traveled improves. At first I thought you meant the Brookmere road, but then I read again and saw Aspen Grove. I don't think I've been over that one! I'm a little nervous about the gravel myself... not flats, but chips. I just can't let it go yet... ;-)

I'd take just a dividing line! I worry most about logging trucks coming the other way on the gravel back roads.

As an aside, I tested my new Chademo in Princeton (free Chademo there) and it worked great!
Well, I've had enough of that sort of experience even on the 5A. On days the trucks are using it, they're really using it (all of it, if you know what I mean). You do have to keep your eyes open and in the dead of winter, it isn't quite as much fun. They assume the road is almost unused and take bigger risks...

I used my CHAdeMO in Merritt the other day. Not impressed by the 35 cents per kWh, but it does save time! At least there are Level 2's in town in case the DC unit is offline.

Reactions: doubeld
If it makes you feel better, the centreline on 5a between Kamloops and Merritt has been repainted very recently, apparently on a windy day. I saw 2 semis headed north on a Sunday afternoon, and I would consider that road to be a lot safer than quite a few highways, at least on a sunny afternoon.

The WORST highway I've driven on recently is the Sea to Ski between Whistler and Squamish on a rainy Friday evening headed south into a continuous stream of hi-beams. I pretty much came to a stop at one point as there were no road markings and I was unable to determine where I was on the road, or which way I was oriented. In a discussion at dinner with other drivers I found out that visibility was no better for other models of vehicles and that one driver did a come to a full stop at one point.

I was more concerned about sharp rocks on the road and potholes -- and no spare
2 weeks ago I drove the Smith Dorrien from Canmore south in to Kananaskis, no cell coverage, gravel road 62km
At about half way I punctured the sidewall on my summer tires (21" wheels) I think it was a small pothole that did it. Although you can't patch a sidewall (and it was the inside sidewall too so side of the road repair attempts would have been quite challenging) it was at least a slow enough leak that my compressor could keep up. losing about 1psi per minute, I drove for 10-15 minutes, topped up the tire, drove for another 10-15, etc. Got all the way home though.
First sidewall puncture of my life (barring the idiot who slashed 2 tires on my work truck with a knife) And the first time in my entire driving career where I ever would have actually used a spare tire had I had one.

Hi Guys,
I am planning a road trip in 2 months from Vancouver to Edmonton (and back) with the family. I am wondering if there are interesting places to stop along the supercharger route that would be entertaining for the kids? It seems like there are a few you you guys who do this trip regularly and might have some ideas. For instance, I am thinking of stopping for a couple hours at the new Revelstoke single track coaster, and the day in Drumheller. That 5A route seems interesting for at least one way, and I think I would have to charge up at the Merrit Chademo for that, given my lowly S60. Even a good ice cream stop near a charger would be good to know! @green1, I am definitely bringing a tire patch and slime kit. :) Thanks.

• Love
2 weeks ago I drove the Smith Dorrien from Canmore south in to Kananaskis, no cell coverage, gravel road 62km
At about half way I punctured the sidewall on my summer tires (21" wheels) I think it was a small pothole that did it. Although you can't patch a sidewall (and it was the inside sidewall too so side of the road repair attempts would have been quite challenging) it was at least a slow enough leak that my compressor could keep up. losing about 1psi per minute, I drove for 10-15 minutes, topped up the tire, drove for another 10-15, etc. Got all the way home though.
First sidewall puncture of my life (barring the idiot who slashed 2 tires on my work truck with a knife) And the first time in my entire driving career where I ever would have actually used a spare tire had I had one.
Is this a video of the same gravel road you got your puncture on? :eek:Looks nasty:

Reactions: Footbag
Is this a video of the same gravel road you got your puncture on? :eek:Looks nasty:
That's the one, it's actually a very well maintained road, and it's only that really twisty stuff up at the north end, most of it is more gradual curves and/or relatively straight. Speed limit is officially 80 on most of it, but it's way too easy to find yourself well over 100.
It was originally supposed to be the main entrance to Kananaskis Country, but then they decided to build Hwy 40 instead. As a result, it's fairly wide, built on a good road base, and many of the corners are banked. It just never got paved.

Hi Guys,
I am planning a road trip in 2 months from Vancouver to Edmonton (and back) with the family. I am wondering if there are interesting places to stop along the supercharger route that would be entertaining for the kids? It seems like there are a few you you guys who do this trip regularly and might have some ideas. For instance, I am thinking of stopping for a couple hours at the new Revelstoke single track coaster, and the day in Drumheller. That 5A route seems interesting for at least one way, and I think I would have to charge up at the Merrit Chademo for that, given my lowly S60. Even a good ice cream stop near a charger would be good to know! @green1, I am definitely bringing a tire patch and slime kit. :) Thanks.
Tons of great things to see on that trip, depends what the kids are in to. Revelstoke has a good railway museum, there are nice beaches along the shuswap, 3 valley gap looks interesting (if rather much of a "tourist trap") speaking of "tourist trap" I've actually heard good things about the enchanted forest in that area as well, though I've never been.
Drumheller as you mentioned is neat with all the dinosaur stuff. Sylvan lake is not far west of Red Deer and has some of the best water slides around, plus the lake and various other things to do. If you just want to get out for some nature, there's great hiking at so many places along that route, I'm partial to the area between about Field and Canmore.

That road looks nice and wide to me and it even has guardrails, although I'm not too concerned about going off the side (except in winter when icy). This is Coalmont Road... I'm surprised the Google car actually drove this road past the town of Tulameeen. Notice the sharp rocks and narrow, windy, almost one lane road, as you move forward with the car...

Google Maps

Hi Guys,
I've been told in the past that the Enchanted Forest zip line west of Revelstoke is quite good, but I've never stopped in. Revelstoke also has a community pool that young kids enjoy. If the kids are older, and you can get them out of the car for a few hours, there are day hikes (3-5 hours) just before Rogers Pass at the Illecillewaet Glacier that can be spectacular (many years ago I drove up from Kelowna for the day, on a couple of occasions, and I thought that it was worth the 3 hour plus drive each way!). There are no doubt other short hikes in the national parks as well as some spectacular water falls just off the road (e.g. Takakkaw Falls in Yoho National Park).

The Dutchman Dairy on the east end of Sicamous is popular for ice cream. And as you enter Salmon Arm from the west, there is a fruit stand/ farm market that has great in-season fruit and produce, and even better pies. Problem is that I can't remember which one it is, but I think it must be either Pedro Gonzales or maybe DeMille's.

That's the one, it's actually a very well maintained road, and it's only that really twisty stuff up at the north end, most of it is more gradual curves and/or relatively straight. Speed limit is officially 80 on most of it, but it's way too easy to find yourself well over 100.
It was originally supposed to be the main entrance to Kananaskis Country, but then they decided to build Hwy 40 instead. As a result, it's fairly wide, built on a good road base, and many of the corners are banked. It just never got paved.

That road looks nice and wide to me and it even has guardrails, although I'm not too concerned about going off the side (except in winter when icy). This is Coalmont Road... I'm surprised the Google car actually drove this road past the town of Tulameeen. Notice the sharp rocks and narrow, windy, almost one lane road, as you move forward with the car...

Google Maps

I drove this road for the first time two weeks ago as well on my Subie Forester. It was a total blast to drive. The scenery is outstanding. I agree with you the condition of the gravel road is not bad at all and I would drive a few more times this summer. The best part is there are very few visitors comparing to the rest of Banff and Canmore.