TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vancouver to Disneyland! 2013 in a 60... with little planning

Discussion in 'Model S' started by nleggatt, Oct 9, 2013.

1. nleggatt

nleggatt Member

Hello all, welcome to the show! In about an hour we will leave our place in Abbotsford with 4 people on a trip to Disneyland! I've tried not to over plan the trip, but rather approach it like someone who doesn't have TOCD would approach the same situation. I have the latest software on the car and so super chargers are displayed nicely, and I have plug share for comfort, + we've decided to stay at KOA camp grounds as a result of some uncertainty with the Gov Camp Grounds at the moment.

We are fully loaded, ready to go, and I'll keep this thread up-to-date during the trip. Afterwards, I'll make a really pretty website or graphic... we'll see, that others can use when planning their own crazy long distant trip... oh, and I have 2 iPads for the kids :)

2. texex91

texex91 Banned

Have a great trip. You can also post a blog in that section which is perfect for trips like this. Plenty of pics and GOOD LUCK!

3. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Good luck and have fun. When you leave Disneyland on your way back home, I'll be curious if you try to make it from Disneyland to Tejon nonstop and bypass Hawthorne SC. If you're going to go that route, check the winds and do some research first. Perhaps others have real world experience with this route with 60s. I know people had relatively little difficulty going from Hawthorne to Tejon with no headwinds, but OC is probably another 25 miles of distance.

4. ipryor

ipryor Member

very cool!!! I will be following along to see how everything goes...how old are the kids!?

5. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

@nleggat - HUGE thumbs up on the trip, the approach, and the attitude. Pack that Frunk and happy trails!

6. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Good luck...

We're waiting for the Supercharger gaps to fill in before we do a trip from AZ to BC -- looking like next summer. Still need 2 SCs to be added between Phoenix and LA, plus the NorCal and southern Oregon ones to fill in before we'll be ready to attempt...

7. nleggatt

nleggatt Member

Ok here's the first update! Well with kids (6 and 2 you do need to stop every 2 hours for bathroom diaper change and sanity!!)

Here's is our car

ada4ujuj.jpg
    re3ebenu.jpg

Cci came in handle for passports and wallet and money and things we need along the way

9a4uvuva.jpg

First stop was Burlington and we had 150 km and were only charging at about 170 miles per hour see photo for exact numbers

yrejesed.jpg

Not too much to hear but then off on our way to centralia. Really impressed at centralia!! Wow!

Tons to do here like soooo many stores. Walked to McDonald's and kids used bathroom. Then walked to Starbucks for some actual coffee. Ps they close at 9pm. Walked back to mcdonalds and had some not so bad coffee and by the time I ordered we had collected 200km or range!!

So so far we have travelled for 5.5 hours for free and not felt like we were waiting or anything! Let's see what woodburn had in store for us

6atubadu.jpg

5ysebe7y.jpg

8. DGates

DGates Member

Very nice! I bet I'll be doing a similar trip before too long. I'll definitely be following your story, thanks for sharing it!

9. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Great trip, I just did an LA-Vancouver roundtrip a week ago. Gotta drive slow in the Supercharger-less areas to save time on charging, good luck!

10. Sshrivas

Sshrivas Member

Wonderful trip and thanks for sharing the experience. Enjoy your trip.

11. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

#11 Jason S, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    Just went to Disneyland. On way down we charged to about 200 miles at Tejon, went to hotel @ Disneyland, then next morning went to the Chargepoint station at the Convention Center. The parking lot was closed but the attendant let us park there to use the charger. After 10 hours at 30A, the car was at full (~260 miles) so didn't worry about Hawthorn on the way back or the local driving for dinners out. Had plenty of charge to return to Tejon for a quick top up then Harris.

I think the long stretch between Harris and the next spot north may be of some difficulty for a 60. Best wishes!

12. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

Nice job on the trip log! Following with interest as a fellow British Columbian.

It's pretty amazing how much stuff you can haul, isn't it!

13. ElectricFarmBoy

I somehow can't get holiday road out of my mind as I read this thread. But I gotta believe the Model S is better than the family truckster and should have no problem beating Christine Brinkley off the line. Enjoy but take it easy on fellow Canadian John Candy if Wallyworld is closed when you arrive.

14. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

#14 SFOTurtle, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    I'd like to know how many rated miles are needed to get from OC to Tejon with moderate headwinds. I know it's no problem for an 85, but with a 60 (that range charges to just over 200), that is less certain. I will try EV Trip Planner to see what it says if I can figure out how to use that.

Update: EV Trip Planner indicates that a fully charged 60 would make it from Anaheim to Tejon driving with moderate speeds (65 mph max) and with moderate headwinds. But real world data would be helpful.

15. nleggatt

nleggatt Member

Stayed the night at koa just between Eugene and Medford. Now stopped at Stanton park by seven feathers. Wow nice place for a Picnic and let the kids play! And charge on 14-50

vujujyvy.jpg

ehabepet.jpg

16. Apoclyps

Apoclyps Member

Nice! have a safe and fun trip down. The OC will have some beautiful weather for the next 10 days (78 to 82 deg F, or 25 - 28 deg C.. at least that is what the AccuWeather says). Perhaps somewhat chilly at night for us California weather wimps (~55 deg F, ~13 deg C).

17. nleggatt

nleggatt Member

Ok, so far the journey has been really really easy. Today is the big question mark. We're going to try and leave Seven Feathers with a full 200 miles, and then make it past Medford to Mt Shasta (anyone know elevation changes there? sounds reasonable?)

Ok, then tomorrow morning we will leave Mt Shasta an make a slowwww run for Sacramento SC... that's 212 miles... on a 200 mile pack... might need to stop for lunch on a level 2 EV Charger to give some buffer... thoughts? Maybe I should pray for red lights along the way.

18. SBerg

SBerg Member

Forgive my ignorance, but I presume you camped in a tent at the KOA - correct? How many charging stations do they have?

19. nleggatt

nleggatt Member

Koa have 14-50 plugs so we tented but on an RV site :)

20. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

Here's a site you can check elevation gain/loss with:
    Google Maps elevation for a route

Either I'm not using it right or EV trip planner is not considering that.

Good news its a little downhill from Shasta to Folsom but I'd expect the hills to use up another 10 miles of your range so I'd definitely stop for a long lunch on a level 2.

good luck,
    trent