Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver to Disneyland! 2013 in a 60... with little planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was at the San Andreas koa! Fabulous place with tons for the kids. In the morning we drove from the re up to San Francisco along the coast and then back down through Palo Alto. Stopped in for the opening of tesla Palo Alto and saw the x

a6y7upaz.jpg

ha2yqany.jpg

ehe8ydyj.jpg

a4adagu6.jpg

5yda9yza.jpg

yrytytez.jpg

Finally arrived at Disneyland a day early ! From San Andreas koa things were stupid east on the super chargers! Only complaint is that hawthorn has no bathrooms after 7 and so I had to pee on one of elons trees! And my daughter had to pee as well and and and....

Lots of cars there as the picture below shows.

Ok so the trip from yreka was the only tough part where we had some scare. After making it to mt Shasta we spent the night and continued from there all the way to Folsom. Ok, in a 60 this cannot be accomplished!!!!! Don't try!!!

We had to stop at a Nissan dealership in redding and charge up for an hour or so. Then we drove under the limit to Folsom. Not sure how we will fair on the way home, though it appears some new chargers are opening.

We drove from Folsom to Fremont which again was east - complaint: elon, let's get some bathrooms or wifi at the sc stations!

Rest of the trip is documented above and I'm excited to walk into Disney tomorrow and will write about the return trip on the weekend!

7a8y7y4u.jpg

yze4u8av.jpg

qube3uzy.jpg

asanyre6.jpg

Congrats and enjoy Disney...

One question when you get a chance... How long did it take to charge at the SCs? Since you also have a 60, I'd like to get a feel for how long we'll need to plan for charges when we do our trip from AZ to BC next summer (especially since the 60s charge a bit slower on SCs...).

Finally arrived at Disneyland a day early ! From San Andreas koa things were stupid east on the super chargers! Only complaint is that hawthorn has no bathrooms after 7 and so I had to pee on one of elons trees! And my daughter had to pee as well and and and....

When I tried out the Hawthorne SC (this was a Friday night at 1 am) I went to the security guard in front of SpaceX (where you turned into off of Jack Northrop), who had a 2nd security guard take me to a back entrance to SpaceX (i think) and guarded the bathroom door, while I did my thing (I guess he didn't want me slipping out). I had to go #2 and I could hear him pacing.... felt bad for the guy.

When I tried out the Hawthorne SC (this was a Friday night at 1 am) I went to the security guard in front of SpaceX (where you turned into off of Jack Northrop), who had a 2nd security guard take me to a back entrance to SpaceX (i think) and guarded the bathroom door, while I did my thing (I guess he didn't want me slipping out). I had to go #2 and I could hear him pacing.... felt bad for the guy.

Well, there is a level of detail I wasn't expecting..... :/

Only complaint is that hawthorn has no bathrooms after 7 and so I had to pee on one of elons trees! And my daughter had to pee as well and and and....
Perhaps it's changed since then, but when I was there (3 times...4 times...I forget...) you could find the "restroom truck" down one of the alleys. Best I could tell it's unlocked 24x7.

Perhaps it's changed since then, but when I was there (3 times...4 times...I forget...) you could find the "restroom truck" down one of the alleys. Best I could tell it's unlocked 24x7.

I was there 2 Fridays ago. If by the "restroom truck" you mean the portable bathrooms they had, they got rid of them after the remodeling was completed of the SC. The folks from SpaceX that I ran into desperately looking for a bathroom told me that, and told to me to speak to the security guard up front.

One question when you get a chance... How long did it take to charge at the SCs? Since you also have a 60, I'd like to get a feel for how long we'll need to plan for charges when we do our trip from AZ to BC next summer (especially since the 60s charge a bit slower on SCs...).

When I SC with my 60, I typically peak around 60-65kW of power. So depending on how much charge you already have and how much you need, expect to plan about 40 minutes to replenish most of the battery. If you need to range charge, plan for just over an hour because the rate slows down to less then a mile a minute after you get about 180 miles of range. Even then, I couldn't get above 200 (I guess the SC aren't as good at getting the battery at 100% as the on-board charger).

When Tesla ups the rate to 120kW for the 85s, hopefully they up the rate for the 60s too. Even if they don't, it still at least makes road trips manageable in a 60!

When I SC with my 60, I typically peak around 60-65kW of power. So depending on how much charge you already have and how much you need, expect to plan about 40 minutes to replenish most of the battery. If you need to range charge, plan for just over an hour because the rate slows down to less then a mile a minute after you get about 180 miles of range. Even then, I couldn't get above 200 (I guess the SC aren't as good at getting the battery at 100% as the on-board charger).

When Tesla ups the rate to 120kW for the 85s, hopefully they up the rate for the 60s too. Even if they don't, it still at least makes road trips manageable in a 60!

Thanks Chris!

Interesting, when I've used the SC here in Ft Myers I was able to get to 208 miles from 45 in right at an hour. I used it twice on a trip from Seminole to Miami and back and had the same experience both times.

We are home! 36 hours drive from Disneyland to abbotsford! Would have been a bit faster if mt Shasta and Eugene were alive! More details to come

Might have missed your details in another thread, but was wondering when you left Disneyland, did you head straight to Tejon or did you stop somewhere along the way? Wondering how many rated miles are needed to go from Disneyland to Tejon in a fully loaded 60.