Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver to Disneyland! 2013 in a 60... with little planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so far the journey has been really really easy. Today is the big question mark. We're going to try and leave Seven Feathers with a full 200 miles, and then make it past Medford to Mt Shasta (anyone know elevation changes there? sounds reasonable?)

Ok, then tomorrow morning we will leave Mt Shasta an make a slowwww run for Sacramento SC... that's 212 miles... on a 200 mile pack... might need to stop for lunch on a level 2 EV Charger to give some buffer... thoughts? Maybe I should pray for red lights along the way.

So far on your trip, how fast have you driven? what was the distance traveled? and what was the remaining rated range prior to the next charge?

At 70 mph (typical CA speeds) you lose 10% of rated range. and then there is the elevation...

Ok, so far the journey has been really really easy. Today is the big question mark. We're going to try and leave Seven Feathers with a full 200 miles, and then make it past Medford to Mt Shasta (anyone know elevation changes there? sounds reasonable?)

Ok, then tomorrow morning we will leave Mt Shasta an make a slowwww run for Sacramento SC... that's 212 miles... on a 200 mile pack... might need to stop for lunch on a level 2 EV Charger to give some buffer... thoughts? Maybe I should pray for red lights along the way.

IIRC, I was able to get slightly better than rated range (~295 Wh/mi) going 50-60 mph in good conditions, luggage but no passengers.

That 212 on a 200 miles is tough. Drive slow, follow safely behind a big rig, try not to brake, consider minimizing regen unless you're good at keeping it out of the green. Might be easier to just stop for lunch.

I assume you checked Plugshare to see if there were any chargers near by.

Also, some of the campgrounds with cabins have 50 amp plugs that they plug the cabins into. If you ask nicely they may be willing to let you unplug the cabin and plug your car in. Though those plugs are not always in easy to reach, with the UMC, places.

One other word of advise. If you didn't know this already, you may want to lower the amperage overnight. During the day it's not a big deal cause your up and can check it. But if the breaker blows while your asleep its no fun to wake up to a less than full battery. Had this happen on my trip from Denver. Luckily my husband is a night owl and noticed on the app the car had stopped charging and called me to let me know.

Good luck on the trip. Hope you found an outlet to use.

Any chance Zextraterrestrial is reading this? You can try sending him a PM. He lives up in the Eureka area, I believe, and may be able to help.

Edit: oops, you meant Yreka (didn't know there was one such town):

Here's a site I found on Recargo:

vy6yhy6e.jpg

Last edited:

On your return through Nor Cal and Southern Oregon, I think you need to plan for more stops at Level II chargers and take longer breaks rather than try to make it 200 miles nonstop and arrive at your next charging station with 1 or 2 rated miles, if you're lucky and there is a space available.

Wow thanks all for the super quick help!

Yep checked plugshare and recargo. Problem was the campsites/rv places were all full and 14-50s used

So we ended up bribing someone to let us plug in for an hour. Collected just enough and made it mt Shasta!!!

Get to the koa and plugin... ...umc won't work. Red red red!! Plugin again and it starts then red red red . Crap. 8km range now what

Tried three other plugs and finally it works

Ok here's a good note: camped in the car with 4 people with the heater at 20degrees. Almost zero out side. Love this car!

It was VERY comfortable. We put the tent up and then put the trunk stuff in there. Folded the seats down. Kids slept in front seats folded down.

A lot of our stuff is ironically blankets so making the back a soft place to sleep was easy. I'll take a pic tonight.

Congrats!!! Great story. We were at Fremont one month ago (9/11) to take the tour. Our girls are 9 and 7. I jokingly told them that they were 12 year old twins!! I was shocked when Tesla let them take the tour. If you get the chance, take the tour. It is awesome and when you get out you will want to buy many more Tesla's. Have fun.