TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vancouver WA to/from Vancouver BC trip

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by pilotSteve, Apr 11, 2013.

1. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

#1 pilotSteve, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    I'm planning a trip from Vancouver WA to downtown Vancouver BC in a few months and looking for suggestions for a "mid point" charge. I have the 85kW and made it easily from Vancouver to Kirkland. I'm looking for an HPWC as I have the dual chargers.

Anybody have any ideas other than asking Tesla Bellevue Square if I could charge there for two or three hours? Guess I would hang out of the square.

Once in BC I'm going to stay at a hotel near the Harbour Center which has 30A/J1772 chargers. Since I'm there for a several days that should not be any problem.

On the return trip I have the same issue except (thanks to V12-to-12V) I can access the Roadster charger in Centrailia WA. That means I only need to charge for an hour or so at Bellevue Square and then for an hour in Centralia.

I'm open to better/other plans.

Of course, what we really NEED NEED NEED is a supercharger or two along I5!

Just found this about BC installing over 450 EV charging stations! Cool
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/09/12/bc-electric-charging-station.html

2. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

#2 Puyallup Bill, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    For high power charging without a Roadster adapter, I think the Tesla store in Bellevue is about it. BUT, that can be dicey. I stopped by there last Sunday just to check it out. There are two HPCs - one Roadster, and one Model S. Both were in use, and there was no contact info posted on the S. The S had temporary plates, so I doubt it was the store's test drive car. Also, I read somewhere that the Roadster to S adapter that was available grew legs and walked off.

I guess your alternative is to plan for an extended J1772 charge. Kirkland is a good choice for such. If you can get one of the two spots in the garage under the library, have a long lunch at the very nice Trellis restaurant and read some magazines in the library. Or, go on down to Marina Park - there is a decent Italian restaurant a stones throw from the ChargePoint J1772. Other eateries a bit up the hill.

A quick aside: I wish folks using public charging facilities would leave contact info on the dash. I think it is the courteous thing to do.:smile:
    Since the charge cable is not locked onto the LEAF, the card I carry specifies a time I can be unplugged and provides a contact number. With the Tesla, I just provide a contact number.

3. antochat

antochat Pearl White P85

I've done the trip from Portland to Vancouver BC several times. I called ahead to the Bellevue store (Genny is awesome) and they made sure to have a free plug for me. Charged for a couple hours and was on my way, worked out great. I believe you can also plug in at the Tesla store downtown, although their space is limited.

4. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

Good to know - I didn't realize Bellevue would take reservations, so to speak.

Another possibility might be the Bellevue Service Center, when it opens - probably a few months away.

5. Seattle

Seattle Member

There are zillions of 30amp j1772 plugs around Seattle, but downtown Kirkland is a nice place for a few hours. Bellevue Square does have lots more shopping.

It's too bad you can't make it to Blaine WA at the border - there's a high power J1772 but that looks like 275 miles from Vancouver WA.

6. wcalvin

wcalvin Member

HSWC in Seattle

Tesla in South Lake Union in Seattle has HSWC. Call ahead to reserve; enter garage from the north.