Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vandalism: Someone tried to steal my windshield. (Pasadena / SGV / San Marino)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This occurred a few days ago, but sharing to the community here for awareness.

An individual attempted to remove my Model 3 windshield over the course of nearly 6 hours (11:45 PM to 5:30 AM) on Friday, July 15, while parked on the street outside of my house. He was unsuccessful, but botched the entire job in the process by cracking the glass in multiple places.

The weather stripping was removed in small fragments from all sides of the glass, and there are paint scratches down to the primer on both pillars.

Video surveillance footage from my neighbor captured the entire incident, and a vehicle with distinctive markings. Sentry mode was unfortunately off (I'll never stop getting grief over this), it is what it is and I won't make that mistake again.

Police report was filed with LA Sheriff's Department. Insurance claim already in process.

Later in the evening, the same vehicle ID'ed in the footage returned to my neighborhood in broad daylight, most likely to case the situation / attempt to return again to finish the job. My neighbor spotted this vehicle, captured photos of it, and then ran after it to get the license plate (vehicle sped off through a stop sign).

A community member posted these photos to Nextdoor, and apparently there was sighting of the same vehicle driving near Pasadena City College / Allen & Walnut intersection (~1 mile from my residence) around 8:15 - 8:30 AM on Friday morning, just hours after they vandalized my car. Suspect is described as an Asian male, 20's to 30's.

If you live in the area, keep an eye out for this vehicle:
  • 2011-2014 Toyota Sienna (3rd Generation), possibly XLE trim level
  • IntelyCare corporate branding affixed to both sides — White “IntelyCare” logo with image of female nurse on a pink background
  • I've contacted this company in hopes that this might be a fleet vehicle with GPS, but I don't expect a response from them—might have to use social media to get their attention
  • By luck, perhaps there's someone who recognizes this car, or has had dealings with IntelyCare (which is ironically a tech company...)

Vehicle 8.jpg

All in all, watch your back and turn on sentry mode 24/7. Thieves are getting more desperate (and idiotic). I've parked my car on the street for years without incident, and even though there are several other Teslas parked within my neighborhood (another one being just a few houses down), I guess I was the lucky winner.

With supply problems and a general lackadaisical world attitude at the moment, I'm also expecting the repairs to take more than a month. I can only hope there's a local shop that has the glass in supply.

Photos of the suspect and damage below:

Suspect 1.png
Suspect 2.png
02 - IMG_4107 - Driver Pillar.jpg
03 - IMG_4114 - Driver PIllar Close Up.jpg
05 - IMG_4111 - Passenger Pillar - Suction Cup Placement - Close Up 1.jpg
07 - IMG_4111 - Passenger Pillar Close Up 3.jpg
12 - IMG_4083 - Suction Cup Packaging.jpg
31 - 07-17-2022 - Windshield Crack 4.jpg
32 - 07-17-2022 - Windshield Crack 5.jpg

Last edited:
Truly incredible story. Are you going through insurance for this? I'm sure they would appreciate the footage showing the IntelyCare fleet vehicle - their attorneys are more likely to get a response from IntelyCare than you are (and in the end, they will want to subrogate any claim to get back the money they pay for the claim.

Reactions: ksoon
Truly incredible story. Are you going through insurance for this? I'm sure they would appreciate the footage showing the IntelyCare fleet vehicle - their attorneys are more likely to get a response from IntelyCare than you are (and in the end, they will want to subrogate any claim to get back the money they pay for the claim.

Oh there's more to this saga since my original post, and yes I am going through my insurance. They've already completed original claim. Anything else will be supplemental through the body shop.

Another Nextdoor community member (let's call her Sally) spotted the suspect vehicle traveling near Old Town Pasadena and managed to jot down the license plate: 6MOV515.

One day later, I was informed that yet another Nextdoor member reached out to IntelyCare and actually received a response from their VP of Operations—who provided a photo of the vehicle with license plate, the vehicle owner's name, and phone number. Screenshot attached with owner's name and phone number redacted, though I do know it's a local resident, and still can't confirm if the owner was actually the person who vandalized my car. I wouldn't be surprised if a friend or family member borrowed it.

Vehicle positively ID'ed:
  • Make / Model: 2011 Toyota Sienna LE
  • Color: White
  • CA License Plate: 6MQV515
The best part is that the plate number was one character off from what Sally on Nextdoor jotted down (6MOV515).

Apparently, IntelyCare hires contractors who can opt to wrap their vehicles in their corporate branding for extra pay. The account manager for the company that produces and wraps the vehicles (Onescreen.ai) was also ID'ed.

All of this information was passed to LASD, but of course, here we are almost one month later and absolutely nothing has been done to bring this person to justice. Since the vandal didn't actually steal anything, I'm sure this is below the lowest priority pile for law enforcement.

I can't express how frustrating it is having all of this information, and not being able to do jack with it (beyond what's already been done). I was offered to speak to the media about this entire episode, but at some point you wonder if it's worth the (potentially unwanted) extra attention. I'm just pressing forward and waiting for the repairs to be done at this point.

Vehicle.png

Reactions: XPsionic and Zorg
All of this information was passed to LASD, but of course, here we are almost one month later and absolutely nothing has been done to bring this person to justice. Since the vandal didn't actually steal anything, I'm sure this is below the lowest priority pile for law enforcement.
I think even if they managed to steal the windshield, it is petty theft since the windshield is like $930 just under the grand theft limit. I think you just need to let this go OP. Be happy that your car does not have a catalytic converter.

I think even if they managed to steal the windshield, it is petty theft since the windshield is like $930 just under the grand theft limit. I think you just need to let this go OP. Be happy that your car does not have a catalytic converter.
There is nothing OP can do or LASD will do due to the law which is f*****up and created favorable environment for the criminals.

Reactions: Scubamikey
Sure as hell it won't be $930, the paint damage around the windshield will make the overall repair cost significantly higher.

Reactions: XPsionic
Sure as hell it won't be $930, the paint damage around the windshield will make the overall repair cost significantly higher.
Probably have to ask an attorney or lawyer, but the rest of the damage could count toward "vandalism" instead of adding to the value of the "theft" if they actually got the windshield. With OP's situation, they didn't get the windshield, so the person got arrested, it would be for "vandalism" I think.

Reactions: XPsionic

Current / Total Estimate for all repairs is ~$9,000.00, which insurance is covering sans my deductible:
  • Windshield Replacement
  • Roof Glass Replacement (due to chipping)
  • Pillar / Rail Repainting (both sides)
  • Front Fender Repainting (both sides)
  • Front Fender Repeater Replacement (both sides - due to front fender removal, which voids the safety warranty on the cameras, based on Tesla certified repair spec)
  • Recalibration of repeater / camera system

Let us know if the insurance company ever informs you of getting anything back from the vandals. They may not share that with you. The police will do nothing, as I have dealt with them multiple times in the past. Have video and car license plate numbers of people stealing our mail multiple times and zero effort by the police or postal service investigators. You are on your own unfortunately.

RT

Hey I live in Pasadena. Random I saw this post and random because my wife and I walked past this car today on Colorado Ave just off Hudson I believe. Me and neighbors have Teslas and someone crept around one night but was scared away by big dogs barking and causing a scene. Crazy. If you want I can see if the car is still on our block and help you nab him.

Hey I live in Pasadena. Random I saw this post and random because my wife and I walked past this car today on Colorado Ave just off Hudson I believe. Me and neighbors have Teslas and someone crept around one night but was scared away by big dogs barking and causing a scene. Crazy. If you want I can see if the car is still on our block and help you nab him.

Wow what are the odds. If the car is still on your block, I would tip off Pasadena PD or LASD asap. Keep an eye out for this person, clearly they need to be stopped before someone else ends up with thousands in damage—or worse.