Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vandalized twice - Bigotry is alive and well on San Francisco Peninsula

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
use a small battery

a cheap way to power cameras when you are not in the car is to attach them to a 12 volt gel type battery as used in alarm systems. The cameras use 1/2 to 1 amp so the battery doesn't have to be big to get you 12 to 24 hours time. Since it's gel if it tips over no problem,but keeping it in the side wells of the trunk fixes this too. I use two, a front facing one on the windshield and a dual camera one on the trunk cover pointing out the side windows.
I use mine only when charging overnight at a motel. Hopefully a potential vandal will see the cameras and be deterred. If not you may have his picture.

I thought about this, and decided to use the power magic box anyway. It can't hurt anything. If the DC-DC does its job, then no worries. If there was ever any issue then the last thing I want is my little dash cam setup to be blamed for draining the 12V battery...

Three weeks ago I had my 9 month old car in for a few service bulletins and the battery shield install. And they also replaced my 12volt battery no questions asked. I do have the duel camera Blackvue installed.

There is really no need to brush all people with the same stroke simply by where they live. I'm sure the people who do these lowly deeds are less than 0.001% of the population of San Francisco. Sure, there may be many more people who carry some kind of resentment may be more but not enough to destroy someone's property.

I love this play of anger/tolerance. The person vandalizing the OP's car could have just been some schizophrenic lady walking by. There is a tension now though, because the health indicators of our economy are not being reported accurately, and there are a lot of people suffering unnoticed. I.e. things are probably worse than they seem.

Let's be thankful for what we have, but cautious not to flaunt it in a "cake" sort of way....

I have been worried about these types of incidents since day one. I finished my front and rear dash-cam install the other day, motion or bump activated while parked, constant while driving. I also plan on installing a second set facing out to both sides of the car.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKA04HY/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BlackVue Wi-Fi 2 Channel DR550GW-2CH

They're not overly expensive, so I bought two and two 64GB microSDs. Bit of a pain to install yourself, but not too bad if you can stomach ripping panels off of your Model S.

Well worth it IMO, especially if it helps out in any future legal battle.

-wk

More on this please. We have dash cams in all our cars that turn on when the power is turned out. But with the Tesla, you could leave them on all the time as the contactors will close and keep the 12v charged. If you've got a workable setup, I would like to replicate what you've done.

Mine was just keyed tonight. Sad. Any recommendations on repair shops or the pens, or if Tesla helps out.
I opened up TMC and saw this thread had popped up and instantly thought, "Oh no, what happened?" Sorry this happened.

Don't panic yet, there may be options. How deep is the scratch? Does it look like it was just paint or was some of the aluminum scratched away?

Briefly, your general options are:
  1. Buffing out: Minor scratches can often be buffed out using an abrasive that essentially files off nearby paint and uses it to fill the gap. Not as bad as it sounds, and can be very effective.
  2. Filling in: This is where the paint is touched up. Keyings rarely look good repaired using paint pens or brushes. You need something like Dr. Colorchip or Langka to do a proper job. I've used the former on a past vehicle and was astonished how good the results were, but I hear great things about the latter for larger damage areas.
  3. Repainting: The last resort, IMO. Others sometimes just skip right to this step, but I'd rather have factory paint that's been repaired than repainted panels. You may disagree. Either way, it's an option.

If you go to a body shop, they're going to recommend 3. That's really all they do. 1 & 2 could be done yourself, or through a detailer. Depending on how bad it is, my first stop would be to a reputable detailer in the area. I was very impressed with Joe Torbati in Orinda (this is his current shop, though I visited him while he was with a different shop): OCDetaling

Good luck! Let us know if we can help.

Reading this thread makes me really sad that this **** happen's.. Sorry for your bad luck/losses OP.

This kind of **** makes me think of buying a powerful Tazer, Can't just shoot someone up here in Canadurr, but you can disable them while the Po-Po come! Zzzzzzzzzap! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap!!!!!
Fry the m***********r

Sorry to hear it mstew.

Chilton Autobody in San Carlos is fantastic. Both Tesla recommended and from a colleague of mine who had a fender bender, and Mike Chilton treated me like a king as well. He's an absolute rubbish perfectionist, and does work for the Tesla factory.

Reading this thread makes me really sad that this **** happen's.. Sorry for your bad luck/losses OP.

This kind of **** makes me think of buying a powerful Tazer, Can't just shoot someone up here in Canadurr, but you can disable them while the Po-Po come! Zzzzzzzzzap! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap!!!!!
Fry the m***********r

Not tazer, but you reminded me of this old video.. :) South African Car Flamethrower - YouTube

Sorry to hear it mstew.

Chilton Autobody in San Carlos is fantastic. Both Tesla recommended and from a colleague of mine who had a fender bender, and Mike Chilton treated me like a king as well. He's an absolute rubbish perfectionist, and does work for the Tesla factory.
Useful info! I've had 2 cars keyed, and it's awful. My sympathy to the OP. I try to stay in secured garages now, but it's nice to have a shop in mind in case there ever is an issue.

Mine was just keyed tonight. Sad. Any recommendations on repair shops or the pens, or if Tesla helps out.
So sorry to hear. Good advice from gizmo. Hope they find the POSs doing this and good luck with the repair.

In the meantime, remember that visible cameras are not necessarily part of the solution, as you may find those being taken through breakins.

i much prefer the idea of 400V+ dc attached to the exterior of the car with multiple warning signs posted ;-)

OT, but can you please let me know how you found 12 Volt power to run the rear facing camera? I have the front dash cam installed, but haven't found a simple way to power a rear facing one.

With the blackvue 650GW the rear camera gets one cable which carries both power to it and the signal from it. So you don't need to find power in the back of the car.

In the front the mic cover may (depends on your car) have a permanent 12V supply available. Otherwise you can solve it several ways, I used a hack on the ODBII connector near the drivers left foot to get permanent 12V so I could catch things while parked like what the OP said (fortunately never happened to me as I think i'd have a heart attack).