Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vandenberg launch viewing recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live in Newport Coast CA are thinking about traveling a couple of hours north to the Vandenberg CA area to witness Tuesday evening's Delta 4-Heavy launch in either our 2015 Tesla Model S P85D or our
We live in Newport Coast CA are thinking about traveling to the Vandenberg CA area to witness Tuesday evening's Delta 4-Heavy launch or the next SpaceX Falcon launch in either our 2015 Tesla Model S P85D -OR- our 25' fully self contained 2011 Winnebago View (Mercedes Sprinter) RV "mobile condo".

What are the best launch viewing areas?

What hotels / motels would you recommend?

Where are the best places to camp? (boondock or campgrounds)

We live in Newport Coast CA are thinking about traveling a couple of hours north to the Vandenberg CA area to witness Tuesday evening's Delta 4-Heavy launch in either our 2015 Tesla Model S P85D or our
We live in Newport Coast CA are thinking about traveling to the Vandenberg CA area to witness Tuesday evening's Delta 4-Heavy launch or the next SpaceX Falcon launch in either our 2015 Tesla Model S P85D -OR- our 25' fully self contained 2011 Winnebago View (Mercedes Sprinter) RV "mobile condo".

Eagles Nest is good for viewing if it is open, or On Ocean Avenue on the side of the road close to 13th street .

I would recommend staying in Buellton, or Solvang. Lots of good choices and restaurants.

For camping I would stay at Jalama Beach. call for availability (805) 568-2460 . Viewing is good there also. A little further away is Cachuma Lake.

Last edited:
Eagles Nest is good for viewing if it is open, or On Ocean Avenue on the side of the road close to 13th street .

I would recommend staying in Buellton, or Solvang. Lots of good choices and restaurants.

For camping I would stay at Jalama Beach. call for availability (805) 568-2460 . Viewing is good there also. A little further away is Cachuma Lake.

Thanks for the great suggestions !!!

I watched a launch from Harris Grade road. It's hard to miss... there's a nice turnout. The downside is there there aren't any facilities nearby and you're a couple miles away but you do get a fairly unobstructed view of the launch. Once the F9 goes vertical you can actually see the top of the rocket over the hill. I arrived ~4 hours early... I think ~2 should be fine to find a spot but it filled up quick.

Just make sure you charge up BEFORE the launch. There was a line ~60 cars deep at the Buellton Supercharger.

It was kinda funny; The CHP came by shortly after the launch because there were some cars block traffic.

CHP: 'Who's Tesla? It's about to get towed.'

Crowd: 'Which one?'

CHP; 'The Blue one'

Crowd: 'Which Blue one?'

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 12.10.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 12.08.36 AM.png

Reactions: BrokerDon
I watched a launch from Harris Grade road. It's hard to miss... there's a nice turnout. The downside is there there aren't any facilities nearby and you're a couple miles away but you do get a fairly unobstructed view of the launch. Once the F9 goes vertical you can actually see the top of the rocket over the hill.
That’s the first time I’ve heard of that location as a launch viewing site. I measured the distance from there to the launch pad using Google Maps: it’s 11.6 miles. The location I have used, W. Ocean Ave and Renwick Ave, is 4 miles from the pad.

From Harris Grade Road can you really see the top of the rocket without binoculars?

That’s the first time I’ve heard of that location as a launch viewing site. I measured the distance from there to the launch pad using Google Maps: it’s 11.6 miles. The location I have used, W. Ocean Ave and Renwick Ave, is 4 miles from the pad.

From Harris Grade Road can you really see the top of the rocket without binoculars?

It was a very crowded sight. Lots of Space X people there too. Yes, you can see the top of the rocket without binoculars... if you look carefully.

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 12.24.53 PM.png

Going back to 1994 in Google Earth it looks like might have been mobile homes.
View attachment 362072
Thanks, interesting. I wonder if it is possible to drive onto that property now? Would be great place to boondock (meaning camp off grid) in my trailer and watch a launch!

Google Maps lacks the resolution to show me if there is a gate where Azalea Ln connects to Hwy 1.

58EE6B27-710C-4669-A079-015FDCE5CEF2.jpeg

Thanks, interesting. I wonder if it is possible to drive onto that property now? Would be great place to boondock (meaning camp off grid) in my trailer and watch a launch!

Google Maps lacks the resolution to show me if there is a gate where Azalea Ln connects to Hwy 1.

There’s a gate there so I’m certain you won’t be able to overnight or anything like that.

We drove past after sso-a and there was a stream of cars coming out. There were also base guards so it’s obviously a controlled area, but given that there are so many better places to view from on-base, I can’t imagine that credentials are required to gain access to this particular viewing site.

Thanks, I did not realize the location I was discussing was on base. Google Maps does not demarcate the base perimeter.
There’s a gate there so I’m certain you won’t be able to overnight or anything like that.

We drove past after sso-a and there was a stream of cars coming out. There were also base guards so it’s obviously a controlled area, but given that there are so many better places to view from on-base, I can’t imagine that credentials are required to gain access to this particular viewing site.

Reviving this thread. I'm planning to fly up (private) from San Diego for the launch currently planned for the 25th. I have seen one other launch from the air, which was good because the ground was fogged in. But this launch is in the afternoon. Land at Lompoc, and then?