Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vanished Android Tesla App? [Update: app is in the Google Play store]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to install the Android Tesla app on another Samsung phone, looked on the Google Play store, where I got it before, and all it now shows are third party apps. So I checked from the phone it's installed on, and that doesn't show it either. Is this more anti-Musk activity? WTF? Anybody know where to find it?

I have been checking for the last week or so and it's not in the play store. I have not been notified that there is a new version, wanted to update and can't.

What's interesting is that when I go to the play store app and look under installed apps on my phone, the Tesla App isn't identified as being on my phone. Only when I go to the phone settings under apps do I see it. Very strange.

What OS are you running on your phone? Stock Android or rooted?
Is your phone time/date/location all correct?

It is still on my phone, and showing in the Google Play store as seen in the screenshot.

Attachments

• TeslaApp.PNG
    TeslaApp.PNG
    630.9 KB · Views: 82
Stock Android 5.02 (ATT says up to date) Samsung SM-G920A Galaxy 6

The one that has it already installed (but doesn't show in Play Store now either) is a stock Samsung Note 3 (SM-G900A).

It's possible they have released a version that no longer runs on these Android versions. That would suck big time, I'd have 3 (three) perfectly functional phones to repla$$. Hope not !

Last edited:
A little crazy to jump to anti-Musk conspiracies...

Another thread pointed out that the newest version of the app requires newer versions of Android, probably related to a new NFC feature. Perhaps it's not visible on your device because it's no longer compatible? Your Samsung Note 3 is a fairly old Android device at this point -- do you know what version of Android it is running?

Last edited:
Stock Android 5.02 (ATT says up to date) Samsung SM-G920A Galaxy 6

The one that has it already installed (but doesn't show in Play Store now either) is a stock Samsung Note 3 (SM-G900A).

It's possible they have released a version that no longer runs on these Android versions. That would suck big time, I'd have 3 (three) perfectly functional phones to repla$$. Hope not !

unfortunately that’s one of the downsides to android. It isn’t up to date (it may have the latest release Samsung created but it isn’t up to date). It’s been a while since I’ve been in the Android game but check out XDA developers forum to see if there’s a more up to date OS for your phone made by the community.

unfortunately that’s one of the downsides to android. It isn’t up to date (it may have the latest release Samsung created but it isn’t up to date). It’s been a while since I’ve been in the Android game but check out XDA developers forum to see if there’s a more up to date OS for your phone made by the community.

Oops, missed the note that OP was on Android 5.x. Android 5.x hasn't even received critical security updates for 1.5 years, and I think the newer Tesla app requires Android 8.x. For what it's worth, the newest major version of Android is 10.x so it's not like Tesla is saying you need a bleeding edge smartphone with the newest OS in order to use the Tesla app. @Fernand you can leave a review on the Google Play Store through your browser to note your concerns, but seeing as the OS itself lost support long ago I don't know if Tesla will give you much sympathy. Especially for the Note 3, that's a 6 year old Android device. I'm shocked it even runs and has battery life, bravo!

Apps no longer working on old versions isn't just an Android problem, it's a smartphone problem. I had the same issues with my iPhone 4 (iOS too old for some apps) before moving to Android. The industry changes rapidly and people keep buying new phones on 1-3 year cycles, no matter which OS it is.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Well, who knows who's doing what and why, with all the money at stake. But they throw crumbs of API additions and obsolete older gear, programmers don't get paid to maintain long term programs. There's no a priori reason for the constant version push, we're just dumb meat.

Security my butt. None of this stuff is even remotely secure. I misdialed someone's number once with some extra digits and suddenly I was listening to him and his friends talking. The phone never rang. That was a bit of an eye-opener. The cameras are on tap too. Our great-grandchildren won't believe we paid (!) to be monitored and to feed the advertising machine 24x7.

The one security feature that matters is being able to pull the battery when you want privacy. And THAT is just one advance that newer phones have lost, and my Note 3 has, and why I keep it. New batteries cost like $20, an impact-resistant case costs $10. Of course it runs fine, and I'm angry to have to start looking for a replacement.

Last edited:
I have the same problems...Samsung sm327w....android 8.1.0....updated this year..annoying...

It's not like the Tesla App needs some new fancy new Android features, it's pretty basic.

And aren't there apps on the Play store that you see, and can start to download and only later find you need a newer OS? So why should the Tesla App not even be visible to some of us?

And wait, if you have android 8.1.0 isn't that supposed to be new enough (per @camalaio ) ???????

On the web page they are showing INSTALLED on one of my Galaxy 6 and "incompatible with your device" on another identical phone. Something is messed up here.

And there's this Google business of having to log in with your e-mail account to do anything - Am I the only person who feels ... boxed in? Whatever happened to the Internet? This may not be the ideal place to vent, but it's not just social media, it's a hideous trap and I'm sick of it all.

Maybe back to an iPhone next? But it's a contest of lunacy and abusers.

Here's what it shows on the web page:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Updated
November 27, 2019
Size
64M
Installs
500,000+
Current Version
3.10.2-388
Requires Android
5.0 and up
Content Rating
Everyone

Last edited:
Apps no longer working on old versions isn't just an Android problem, it's a smartphone problem. I had the same issues with my iPhone 4 (iOS too old for some apps) before moving to Android. The industry changes rapidly and people keep buying new phones on 1-3 year cycles, no matter which OS it is.

Apple isn't THAT much better, but it is still supporting devices 5 years old with the latest iOS. Even computers now aren't supported that many generations old due to driver support, etc.

Security my butt. None of this stuff is even remotely secure. I misdialed someone's number once with some extra digits and suddenly I was listening to him and his friends talking. The phone never rang. That was a bit of an eye-opener. The cameras are on tap too. Our great-grandchildren won't believe we paid (!) to be monitored and to feed the advertising machine 24x7.

You do realize we are google's product right? Same thing with this site. If it is free (or way too cheap to make sense), we are the product being sold for advertisements. Gmail is free... This site is free... YouTube is free... etc.

This issue of the missing (or "incompatible") Tesla app isn't limited to just really old Android versions. Even phones with 8.1.0 or 9 are experiencing this problem. The key appears to be whether or not your device has NFC support. They've apparently added NFC support to the app so you can use it like the keycard by tapping your phone to the reader on the B-pillar. That's all well and good, but they shouldn't prevent people with non-NFC phones from installing the app since they can still use the BT-as-key function. Hopefully, it's just a screw-up with the compatibility criteria specified for the app at the Play Store.

This issue of the missing (or "incompatible") Tesla app isn't limited to just really old Android versions. Even phones with 8.1.0 or 9 are experiencing this problem. The key appears to be whether or not your device has NFC support. They've apparently added NFC support to the app so you can use it like the keycard by tapping your phone to the reader on the B-pillar. That's all well and good, but they shouldn't prevent people with non-NFC phones from installing the app since they can still use the BT-as-key function. Hopefully, it's just a screw-up with the compatibility criteria specified for the app at the Play Store.

Interesting. As far as I can tell, OP's devices have NFC so that doesn't seem to be the only variable at play here.

Let's get some more info.

Netflix had some steps for a similar issue.

The Netflix application may be missing from the Google Play Store if your device is not Google Play Protect certified. To check your certification status:​

1. Open the Play Store app.

2. Select the Menu
    482e4a2b-c645-47bb-a41c-b00cdd4648a3_icon_menu_en.png
    icon.

3. Select Play Protect to view your certification status.
NOTE:​

If you don't see Play Protect, select Settings and then scroll down to Play Protect certification.​

Well, who knows who's doing what and why, with all the money at stake. But they throw crumbs of API additions and obsolete older gear, programmers don't get paid to maintain long term programs. There's no a priori reason for the constant version push, we're just dumb meat.

The one security feature that matters is being able to pull the battery when you want privacy. And THAT is just one advance that newer phones have lost, and my Note 3 has, and why I keep it. New batteries cost like $20, an impact-resistant case costs $10. Of course it runs fine, and I'm angry to have to start looking for a replacement.
tin-foil-hat.png

• Funny
Reactions: Evoforce
Try a direct link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslamotors.tesla&hl=en

If not, you can always download from one of the apk repositories at your own risk, but I have never had a problem when I had to revert an app due to bugs

Tesla APKs - APKMirror

Well, no, don't do this unless absolutely necessary. For all the misgivings about OP needing to sign in to use the Play store, it's at least a somewhat more trustworthy option than a mirror site. Especially for an app that you're giving a password and access to your car to.

The car still works without the app. Please leave notes on the Tesla app on the Play store (via web browser so you can see it) so Tesla has a chance to fix it first, before jumping to potentially risky options.