TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vanity Plates

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by JOH, Jun 8, 2014.

1. JOH

JOH Member

Curious as to what interesting vanity plates people are getting, or if they will stick with standard issue plates? I've got TESLA85 on order!

2. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Had my plates with my initials for 30 years. I will be getting them restyled to.match the car though.

3. timpoo

timpoo Member

will get standard plates probably in European style...never been a huge fan of custom plates myself...

4. Adapptor

Adapptor Member

I've never had vanity plates but I might make an exception for a Model S. My company is called Adapptor, which is somewhat fitting to put on this car.

5. Johnwill

Johnwill Member

Saw one on Tradme the other day... OIL LOL. Starting bid $6k. Buy now price $9.5k.

6. DavidRM

DavidRM Member

A friend of a friend has three NSW plates to sell including TESLAS. The are on the NSW my plates site at http://www.mrplates.com.au/ride/tesla. His name is Adam but we have never met and I have no financial interest. My own are already reserved : END.01L

7. MangroveMike

MangroveMike Member

:) I could have reserved TESLAS about a month ago on MYPLATES and decided it was a bit obvious. I should have thought commercially, not personally. I'll stick with my existing HTML.

8. Zroiron

Zroiron Poodle Pack Leader

9. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

I have ordered NSW plate 85KWH

10. lonewolf313

lonewolf313 Member

Checked "MyPlates" in NSW and found OIL LOL is available $440 pa + plate ordering fee

11. Johnwill

Johnwill Member

$440 pa? Do you only lease vanity plates in Australia?

Someone has obviously bought the NZ version in an effort to get a return on their investment. There are still variations such as O1L LOL, OIL L0L, etc for sale at the normal $939.00.

12. JOH

JOH Member

13. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

This whole annual payment for plates is plain old government robbery. I accept a single once-off payment, and custom plate making fee, but ongoing fees is criminal, much like our taxes on taxes on taxes!!! Fortunately my custom plates were issued 30 years ago - just my initials and a number, but i like it. I will be remanufacturing them though - over $200 for the pleasure. Just how much labour is actually involved? probably $5 worth!!

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#14 brianman, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    I think we use the word "criminal" differently.

15. Mark E

Mark E Member

Yep, I'm glad that I have the personal plates on my bike and current car, but annoyed that I can't get some for my wifes car without paying a minimum of $99 per year for them.
    I have thought about some for the Model S though, including LOL 01L, and will probably go for something similar for a year or so.. if you can get it to fit into standard format then the rip-off is $99 per year. Its not actually the cost of manufacturing them that I object to, its he audacity to charge extra for standard plates - If you want a plate that says 'TESLA' then I don't object too much to the annual fee, but standard format???

If there was a way to find the owner of some of the plates that I'd like, I'd be happy to arrange to take the plates off their hands - i.e. put the plates on a cheap car and buy the car, then sell it afterwards. I've used the NSW rego app and found that there are a number of combinations that I'd like that are out in the fleet already.

16. 420weblazeit

420weblazeit Banned

Can't you just transfer the plates and then use one of these sites like we have in the UK to make your plates for '$5's worth'?

banner1.jpg

17. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Nope. Only one company is licensed to manufacture license plates in NSW. Myplates.com.au however, it, in my case, it was a single once off fee.

18. 420weblazeit

420weblazeit Banned

But how will they know? You transfer plates, and then order plates with that company's name inscribed?

19. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

We do that all the time. That is, register new cars with a transfer of the registration number. They issue a new number for the old car so it can be sold in a registered state. To remanufacture your number with a new design as I have done, you are obliged by law to use the company I mentioned above. If you don't, and like everything else you are not caught, good luck to you. The plates need to be made with reflective paint so law enforcement cameras can detect them. You would be for the high jump in court....

20. wpapua

wpapua Member