Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VanMoof S3 in Model 3 Boot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I'm looking at getting a VanMoof S3 in the near future. I don't have the roof rack nor tow hitch (will get that on Model Y, eventually). I was wondering if anyone here happens to have a VanMoof S3 and knows if it would fit in the Model 3 boot with the rear seats down?

I know it's not the question you're asking, but my experience with the Model 3 is that you'll get just about any bike in, but even a little one you'd need to take the front wheel off.

I've a "Large" gravel bike and it fits without the front wheel.

I have a traditional framed e-bike, motor in the crank, rear derailleur, removerable battery. Overall weight looks similar though. iirc without battery ours comes in at 18-20kg.

I've not yet used it with Model 3, but based upon experiences with a Passat Estate, we got the tow hitch and a 2 bike rear rack.

I've twice tried to put it in the rear of the Passat, albeit without removing the front wheel (didn't have the brake caliper 'wedges') and I can say that unlike a normal weight bike, an e-bike of the weight we are talking about here, even without battery, is a bit of a handful to have to stretch and support whilst manoeuvring into the rear. The other issue was that once in, finding a position that did not risk putting undue pressure on some of the moving or more fragile parts (mostly the derailleur so hopefully less of an issue for the S3), and preventing the bike from moving when travelling was also a time consuming task, although with practice would get easier I am sure.

On the few other occasions we transported the bike, a dead lift onto the roof bar, but equally not recommended, especially if just the one person. I'm looking forward to getting use of the bike with the rear carrier this year. I need to bleed the brakes first though.

I have a traditional framed e-bike, motor in the crank, rear derailleur, removerable battery. Overall weight looks similar though. iirc without battery ours comes in at 18-20kg.

I've not yet used it with Model 3, but based upon experiences with a Passat Estate, we got the tow hitch and a 2 bike rear rack.

I've twice tried to put it in the rear of the Passat, albeit without removing the front wheel (didn't have the brake caliper 'wedges') and I can say that unlike a normal weight bike, an e-bike of the weight we are talking about here, even without battery, is a bit of a handful to have to stretch and support whilst manoeuvring into the rear. The other issue was that once in, finding a position that did not risk putting undue pressure on some of the moving or more fragile parts (mostly the derailleur so hopefully less of an issue for the S3), and preventing the bike from moving when travelling was also a time consuming task, although with practice would get easier I am sure.

On the few other occasions we transported the bike, a dead lift onto the roof bar, but equally not recommended, especially if just the one person. I'm looking forward to getting use of the bike with the rear carrier this year. I need to bleed the brakes first though.
Thanks for that. Kind of confirms what I was afraid of. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for my Y although, judging by the delivery times I'm seeing. on the VanMoof website, it's entirely possible we'll have a Berlin built Y available here before my bike would arrive!

Any chance of plucking up the courage for a trip to an e-bike shop like Halfords and seeing how manageable lifting on its side a similar weighted bike?

Whilst I had been researching buying an e-bike for some time, the day that I actually purchased the bike was just meant to be test ride. I was so smitten by the test ride that I got back and asked how long would it take to get it ready for me to take it away. No planning involved (unusual for me as I normally double check everything), just a "I'll race you half way back" (Brighton Marina to Goring) then stick the bike in the car for the remainder. I won btw, but they did give me a 20 minute head start and it was rush hour, but I still beat them by more than 20 mins.

It was that half way point that we realised the flaw in the plan - 3 people and a bike simply didn't fit in the same car - pretty much anything fits in a Passat Estate, but not this combo. So I had to ride out the remainder. Even with an e-bike it was a bit of a shock - I hadn't ridden any bike for around 20 years so 25 miles into a brisk westerly along the south coast was a rude awakening to e-bike ownership. I got back with an indicated 3 miles range remaining. The trouble was, getting back wasn't actually home, so later in the week the bike had another 45 mile trek to cover to get it home. Decided to make a special second trip with just two of us and an empty car just to get the bike.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha