Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Variance in hand wound motors of the Sport models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was getting service at the Dallas store and one of the techs asked if someday we could do a drag race (half kidding). I was like sure! But the Model S has more HP so should start to pull on me.

He then mentions that since the Roadster Sports motors where all hand wound, there is some variations in power/torque between cars. They mentioned mine felt particularly fast.

Is this true???? Is there much variation in the hand wound motors?

Is this true???? Is there much variation in the hand wound motors?

I used to fly model airplanes for a hobby. This was a few years ago but you could buy pretty good machine-wound brushless DC motors really cheap. You could also pay a lot more money and get a hand-wound stator. The motors with hand-wound stators were generally 1 - 2% more efficient than computer-wound stators. So more powerful for the same energy use. Apparently an experienced human can anticipate several turns ahead to get a tighter wind than the machine. To answer how much variance there is from one hand-wound motor to another - I'll bet nobody knows except a couple of engineers at Tesla who tested this stuff way back when.

Most people would have trouble noticing the difference between a sport and non-sport, so I'd think the difference here would be pretty subtle.

(My Model S P85 out-drags my non-Sport Roadster quite handily. Roadster is a little faster 0-60, but the Model S beats by 0.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile - Model S is much better at higher speeds.)

I don't believe anybody could "feel" the difference from one sport motor to another. Variables such as temperature of the pack, tire temp, road surface, and other things would have a greater impact than the tiny variance in windings.

Roadster easily wins the 1/8th mile every time.

Model S P85 easily wins the 1/4 mile every time. Top speed is also significantly higher.

At a drag race event a couple of years ago my Roadster was the fastest in the 1/4 mile against over 60 other cars. But they also measured 1/2 mile top speed, and it was second last. Beat out one Mustang.

Roadster easily wins the 1/8th mile every time.

Model S P85 easily wins the 1/4 mile every time. Top speed is also significantly higher.

At a drag race event a couple of years ago my Roadster was the fastest in the 1/4 mile against over 60 other cars. But they also measured 1/2 mile top speed, and it was second last. Beat out one Mustang.

Good info! As a Roadster only owner, it's nice to know it can at least beat the Model S in 0-60 time. :biggrin: I presume you meant 1/4 mile top speed instead of 1/2 mile?