TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Variance in hand wound motors of the Sport models?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by 7racer, Feb 27, 2014.

1. 7racer

7racer Member

Was getting service at the Dallas store and one of the techs asked if someday we could do a drag race (half kidding). I was like sure! But the Model S has more HP so should start to pull on me.

He then mentions that since the Roadster Sports motors where all hand wound, there is some variations in power/torque between cars. They mentioned mine felt particularly fast.

Is this true???? Is there much variation in the hand wound motors?

2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I used to fly model airplanes for a hobby. This was a few years ago but you could buy pretty good machine-wound brushless DC motors really cheap. You could also pay a lot more money and get a hand-wound stator. The motors with hand-wound stators were generally 1 - 2% more efficient than computer-wound stators. So more powerful for the same energy use. Apparently an experienced human can anticipate several turns ahead to get a tighter wind than the machine. To answer how much variance there is from one hand-wound motor to another - I'll bet nobody knows except a couple of engineers at Tesla who tested this stuff way back when.

3. efxjim

efxjim Member

I was also told by a store manager mine was the fastest he had ever driven and what did I do to it. The only thing I've done is love it.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Most people would have trouble noticing the difference between a sport and non-sport, so I'd think the difference here would be pretty subtle.

(My Model S P85 out-drags my non-Sport Roadster quite handily. Roadster is a little faster 0-60, but the Model S beats by 0.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile - Model S is much better at higher speeds.)

5. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I don't believe anybody could "feel" the difference from one sport motor to another. Variables such as temperature of the pack, tire temp, road surface, and other things would have a greater impact than the tiny variance in windings.

6. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

I think I got one of the bum Sport motors - I only pull 294 lb-feet of torque as the best I've seen (in cockpit display), over the listed 295 lb-ft of torque. It's been tough, but I'm managing to live with it though :)

7. andybm3

andybm3 Member

I have a 2008 1.5 and did a back-to-back drive with a 2.5 sport and could not feel a discernible difference

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've driven a Sport (the old Toronto demo car) and non-Sport (mine) back-to-back. You certainly can tell the difference, but it's all in the launch. Once you're moving if feels the same.

9. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

The 1.5's have more torque / punch off the line than the 2.0 (when driven in std. mode) and if you do feel a difference it would be more apparent with a 2.x non-sport vs. a sport rather than a 1.5 vs. a 2.x sport.

10. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I did get to go against a P85 Model S on a 1/8" track several tiems last year. My 1.5 was in front every time. But I could see him catching me in an 1/4 mile run.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Roadster easily wins the 1/8th mile every time.

Model S P85 easily wins the 1/4 mile every time. Top speed is also significantly higher.

At a drag race event a couple of years ago my Roadster was the fastest in the 1/4 mile against over 60 other cars. But they also measured 1/2 mile top speed, and it was second last. Beat out one Mustang.

12. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Good info! As a Roadster only owner, it's nice to know it can at least beat the Model S in 0-60 time. :biggrin: I presume you meant 1/4 mile top speed instead of 1/2 mile?

13. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

Or as I like to tell people I bump into out and about, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, if you want to LOOK fast, you drive the Roadster. If you want to BE fast, drive the Model S.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

No, 1/2 mile top speed. It was a charity event and they were doing things a little differently.

15. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Cool, sounds like fun!

16. asgard

asgard Member

A Roadster with a battery pack with the newer model S chemistry would probably smoke anything out there excepting a Veyron ;-)