Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Variants of Model S & Roadster at the SAME Drag Strip, Same Day/Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Members of "Elon's Army,"

Sacramento Electric Vehicle Association (SacEV) just had a group gathering last night (17 June) at the local drag strip's "open running Wednesday Drags.

WE had a Tesla Roadster, and 3 Model S variants (S85, P85+, P85D) among our various electrics showing up.

NONE of the Tesla's had ANY problems launching at FULL STOMP force. By the way it was officially 99 degrees for this "event," and several of us saw dashboard reports at the track of 102-105 degrees.

We all made 4-5 runs each. All Tesla cars were basically stock, though the P85+ was on his second (?) set of non OEM tires. All had the latests software upgrades.

As expected under identical conditions, one of the FIRST TIMES ever such a range of Tesla's got "hard data" under exactly same settings, the pecking order fell in "logical ranking" and performance levels were ...reliable and consistent.

S85 13.5 seconds and 105 mph
P85+ 12.89 ".................109 "
P85D 11.63 "................ 115.24
Roadster 13.19 "................ 101.46

Remember all those You Tube videos of the "Tesla Grin" featuring the early Roadsters? We were ALL grinning last night in Sacramento!

As a footnote, we had a couple of Rav4 EVs which ran in the low 15 second range, an i3 running in the mid 15 second territory and even a Smart EV turning in the 17 second range...:biggrin:

No chargers, but no problem

Very interesting set of stats and sounds like a GREAT time.

Just curious, were there charging facilities at the track?

Nope, but even the Smart EV had no problem making 3-4 runs and still getting back the 20 miles or so home. ALL of our EVs returned about 50+% of the power used during each speed run via regeneration as we slowed down at the end of those "speed bursts." The beauty of EV-land vs ICE.

1/8 mile times

any chance you have the 1/8 mi times and/or speeds?
does the 'no problem ' comment mean no spinning at all on launch? I have never hooked up 100% but temps are always ~55-65 here.

and... sounds fun!
Yes, I do have those, at least for the P85+ and the P85D at this time, and waiting on time sheets from the S85 and Roadster.

Here are the best times for what I have now:

P85D 7.397 seconds @ 93.34 mph
P85+ 8.387 seconds @ 89.07 mph