Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Variation On A Theme by ElSupreme and tommyboy808

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As per the post title the idea is not original but I thought I'd rather do it this way. I decided to do both sides, not only for symmetry but to halve the weight load of each hook. I took 2 clear medium Command hooks and sawed off the tops with a carbide rod blade so that the entire hook would fit within the flat part of the hatch molding. Filed the cut ends smooth then painted them matte black. Used two adhesive strips per hook to cover the entire hook back, then trimmed the excess off with a blade and blackened the white adhesive cut edge with a marker pen. Not wanting to give the car holes that it was not born with, I used binder clips for the shelf attachment. The shoe lace is a round heavy type used with boots. I sewed a loop on one arm of the clip and finessed it with 1/4" heat shrink tubing. Holding the shelf at the desired elevation/angle, I stretched the shoelace to the hatch molding keeping the lace at right angles to the shelf surface. This gave me my mounting point for the hooks. Working from the inside with the hatch closed, I formed the upper loop on the hook with the desired amount of slack and temporarily fixed it with a clip. Since the lower attachment is removable, further work on the shoelace can be done away from the car - in your significant other's sewing room or whatever. Just be sure you slip on the second heat shrink tubing before sewing the loop permanently. Shrink the second tubing in place and the only thing left to do is hook everything up. Attached are pictures.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Last edited:
Variation on a Variation on a Theme

Inspired by caddieo's simplification using binder clips, command hooks, and shoelace I set out to do this today only to discover an even easier way to do this mod.

Instead of using command hooks to attach the lace to the inside of the truck hatch, you can just slide the lace between the gap between two plastic trim pieces. There's a hole just large enough to slip the plastic tip of the shoelace into at the top, right by the glass, and then slide the lace down. It narrows as you go down the notch, trapping the plastic lace tip behind. Once you have slipped it down it holds pretty securely.

I still went with a binder clip to attach the lace to the parcel shelf, but I just cut the lace, melted the frayed tip with a lighter, and clipped it to the shelf with the binder clip. No loops or shrink tubing. I put the clip on the side of the shelf so it gets pulled down by the magnets that are in the parcel shelf rails in the car to deal with a pet peeve of mine - seeing the parcel shelf flop around in the rear view mirror while driving.

To further simplify, I just did one side. Seems plenty strong to pull the shelf up.

All in all, took less time to do than it did to write this up.

IMG_20131201_170836.jpg

IMG_20131201_170752.jpg

IMG_20131201_170852.jpg

IMG_20131201_170913.jpg