Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Various charging rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In reviewing my supercharge bill I found that I was charged various rates at one particular charger in Brunswick, GA
6 min@ 0.28/min $1.68
2 min @ 0.83/min $1.66
8 min @ 0.52/min $4.16
It was also labeled at Tier 2, Tier 3 & Tier 4.
I don't understand why this happens? Is it because I stayed longer than the prompt indicated that I had enough charge to continue my trip or what?
Suppose I wanted to charge longer should I just cancel the navigation trip before connecting to the charger?

(From the Tesla website...)
How does pricing work?

Whenever possible, owners are billed per kWh (kilowatt-hour); in other areas, owners are billed per minute.

When billing per minute, there are four tiers to account for changes in charging speeds: ‘Tier 1,’ ‘Tier 2,’ ‘Tier 3’ and ‘Tier 4.’

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3Tier 4
Charging at or below 60 kWCharging above 60 kW, at or below 100 kWCharging above 100 kW, at or below 180 kWCharging above 180 kW
Lowest price per minuteSecond-lowest price per minuteSecond-highest price per minuteHighest price per minute

As a follow up to my last post, the more interesting numbers are if you convert the cost to $/kWh so you can 'compare' it to charging at home. My home rate is about $0.14/kWh. Based on the rates listed by the original poster, Tier 2 is 0.17 to 0.28 $/kWh: Tier 3 is 0.17 to 0.31 and Tier 4 is 0.28 or lower.
So, depending on your Tier and charge rate, the cost is either close to, or about double home charging (if you get a charge rate at the 'top' of the Tier, then it's really close to my 'home' rate...charge rate at the bottom of the tier is close to double the home rate).

Some superchargers are flat rate per kWh, others are "tiered" pricing depending on minutes used at different wattages. It all has to do with how Tesla is licensed to sell electricity in different municipalities.

If you knew how many kWH you added to your car you could divide the price by that amount and it would tell you the equivalent flat rate you paid. Unfortunately Tesla does not show this on your invoice, so you would have had to notice the amount on the screen at the time you charged, or use an app like Teslafi or Optiwatt that tracks charging sessions.

You are correct in that charging much longer than necessary to reach the next supercharger does unnecessarily increase your invoice (batteries charge slower the fuller they become, and at tiered superchargers you are paying by the minute), but cancelling the navigation before connecting to the charger would have had no effect.

Attachments

• tiers.jpg
    tiers.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 87