Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Various thoughts on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has probably been covered elsewhere but as I'm just about to hit 4k miles and recently did my first road trip here's what I learned:

- The speedometer reports a higher speed than being driven (confirmed with service manager this morning)
- Nissan dealers are invaluable
- 120V charging is useless
- Even a 2 minute test drive produces the Tesla grin on everyone in the car, including me
- Still missing my parcel shelf...

/Ed
- by how much? (Speedo)
- I'd sooner not comment; mine is malignantly useless.
- never tried it
- Yes, yes and yes!
- Never ordered one

I'm seeing 2 MPH of over-reporting on the speedometer at ~75MPH. This (1-3MPH of over-reporting was confirmed by the service manager this morning).

My old skool GPS (I didn't order the tech package) has been used by me in 3 other cars (Chrysler, Honda, Audi) and always matched exactly.

The killer for me was being passed by my 80 year old father on the way back from the roadtrip...

With regard to the speed error, it is required by Federal law that the speedometer read high (faster than real). Due to tolerances, most manufacturers used to set the speed about 2 mph high at 60 mph. Now with digital speedo's, they may be able to cut it closer. I have never had a car with a digital speedometer before. I get something like 1/2 mph high at 70 with the 19" wheel option. Of course with a digital speedometer, you can only see in 1 mph increments so the two displays could be nearly 1.5 off and still read the same.

With regard to the speed error, it is required by Federal law that the speedometer read high (faster than real). Due to tolerances, most manufacturers used to set the speed about 2 mph high at 60 mph. Now with digital speedo's, they may be able to cut it closer. I have never had a car with a digital speedometer before. I get something like 1/2 mph high at 70 with the 19" wheel option. Of course with a digital speedometer, you can only see in 1 mph increments so the two displays could be nearly 1.5 off and still read the same.

I've never owned an American car, but all the German ones I've owned have always read high and it was usually worse as your speed increased.

Not saying the S isn't high, but it's certainly lower than the cars I've tested against

It just seems odd with the other two digital cars (2010 Audi, 2008 Honda) they were spot on...and with the analog 2005 Chrysler it seemed in-line too.

The ~1.5MPH difference could be what I'm seeing.

QUESTION ABOUT MODEL S SEATS:
Anyone else finding them stiff? I am having a little right thigh pain from the seat being hard there. Wondering if this is just me. Not an issue if I shift alittle, but seems I should not have to do that. Feedback welcome. Else, the car remians amazing.
Yes, I had a fairly serious issue with right hip/thigh pain initially. I found that tilting the seat upward (the seat itself, not the back support) provided more thigh support and helped a great deal. The MS seats, although thinly padded, have a lot of adjustment options, so if you're not comfortable, keep playing around with alternatives.

I think the seats are my least favorite thing about the car. Not that they're terrible, but I drive two other cars, and the Tesla's seats come in third in a field of three.

(Actually, I also drove a rental Hyundai Elantra last weekend, and the seats felt better than the Tesla's.)

QUESTION ABOUT MODEL S SEATS:
Anyone else finding them stiff? I am having a little right thigh pain from the seat being hard there. Wondering if this is just me. Not an issue if I shift alittle, but seems I should not have to do that. Feedback welcome. Else, the car remians amazing.

50,000 miles.
25 months (26 as of this week, At 52,000 miles now).
image.jpg

Three winters.
Lots of snow (Massachusetts, New Hampshire, etc.), but no snow tires as of yet.
Tons of joy.

Looking back to my first post at the top of this thread, reminds me that, if I never said thanks, thank you Bonnie for your early providence, Jerry33 for your technical advice, Robert for your levelheaded thinking, Ben for your guidance (and videos)!,Nigel for picking up my father, who you did not even know, in his front yard and taking him for a ride, Gigi for being even more enthusiastic than me, John "Tesla Guy" for introducing me to Elon, and all the people who were helpful in those very first months online. Looking back, the more than 3 1/2 year wait was really a part of the fun. I think they should make every reservation holder wait a few years. Augments the Magic.

image.jpg

Gotta love a battery that has lost 6 miles in over 50,000 miles. And not one oil change.

image.jpg

If you are considering buying a Model S or Model X, let me just say, as I have said before:

Of all the things in life that don't really matter, this is the best.

Everyone - Enjoy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    821.2 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Ed! How could I not have thanked you for being there - being there! - the day Elwood arrived. Many thanks, indeed, for all the support and advice over these years. Also Aaron, who posted for me as I traveled the east coast with my son. These are good days, indeed.