TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Varying charge/discharge levels any benefit?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by jasonjax, Nov 20, 2015.

1. jasonjax

jasonjax Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Ponte Vedra FL
    Hi folks,

I'd say for 85% of my driving I am off to the office, visit same customers, drive home, charge. Rinse and repeat, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat.....

Got me to wondering: Is there benefit to randomizing the level of discharge I let the battery get to? How about the charge? I charge to the recommended range every night, which leaves me around ~240 rated range every morning. I go on a trip once in a blue moon that requires superchargers etc. (one time in last ~5,000 miles)

What's the collective thought on this question? I know lithium batteries don't have the same "memory" that older chemistry batteries have, but I still have the nagging thought that maybe it would be better to switch things up ever so often.
  2. cmu5p

cmu5p Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Interested in opinions on this also as I often (daily) change my charge limit based on what time in the wee hours I get home from work and how much super-off peak charging time I have left.
  3. David99

David99 Active Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Brea, Orange County
    I have never read or heard of anything that would support this. There is no such thing as a memory effect when charging to the same level every day.
  4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Jun 21, 2012
    I don't worry about it at all. I normally leave it at 90%, but I'm not afraid to charge to 100% when I think I might need it. I don't try to time it so that I leave the SECOND it reaches 100%; I've let it sit at 100% for a day or so before, and while on vacation while charging with only 120V, I regularly kept it up at 100% so that I would be fine.

My refurbished battery, installed Feb-2014, still charges to 266-267 miles in the spring-summer and 263ish in the winter.