Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vast improvement to online store? (or just lucky)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChadS

Last tank of gas: March 2009
Jul 16, 2009
Redmond, WA
Tesla has had an online store selling accessories for years now. I have looked at it a lot over the years to see what was available.

I almost never ordered from it, though. I would either see if the local service center had them in stock, or try to find it from a third party or something. Prices were high, shipping was ridiculous, and when I did order something (only once that I can remember) it took forever to arrive, there was no status while it was on the way, and they charged me sales tax even though there was no tax on the item in my state. I did end up with a refund, but it took a long time and multiple contacts...and they kept charging sales tax online. I remember others complaining about similar issues.

But that was then. Boy, do things seem different now. My wife just got an X, and wanted a waterproof mat for the frunk. I looked at Tesla's shop...and apparently shipping is now free. I took a quick peek at alternatives from other parties...and they were more expensive. So I ordered it from Tesla...and it was on my doorstep 2 days later. Along the way, I got confirmation email instantly, and a note when it was shipped with tracking information.

What a pleasant improvement! Is this new, or have they been moving this way for a while? I don't recall seeing anybody mention their dealings with the online store for a while.

Reactions: GaryW
Shipping has been that way for a while, but getting some things in stock is still a pain. We are still waiting for the new rear floor mats for the Model X 7 seater, for example.

I waited months for a jacket to be available. I don’t know if it’s a supply issue or if bots snap them up for resale on Amazon at $100 more.

But for purchasing what they do have, the store seems to work. You will find threads of people having issues trying to get problems resolved sometimes.