TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Vast majority of Americans afraid of self-driving

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by voyager, Mar 9, 2017.

1. voyager

voyager Member

A recent study from the American Automobile Association suggests it might be more serious than that. The vast majority of surveyed Americans admitted to being “afraid” of riding in an autonomous vehicle while over half said they felt less safe at the prospect of sharing the road with driverless technology.

The Average American is Seriously Afraid of Autonomous Cars

• Informative x 1
  2. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. voyager

voyager Member

4. calisnow

calisnow Banned

Mountain out of a molehill. Perceptions will inevitably change as more folks are exposed to autopilot and beyond. :shrugs:

5. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Uh huh.

Until autonomous systems start reducing insurance premiums.

Then suddenly everyone will announce that they love it.

6. Nosken

Nosken Member

About 2 years ago, Elon said that people won't accept Autonomous driving, until it proven to be 10 times safer. With the NHTSA study showing AP1 and Colision avoundance is 40% safer, we are in the way.

7. David29

David29 Active Member

Some members of my family are not even keen on the (limited) self-driving functionality in my AP1 Model S.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

People are often afraid of something completely new to them, so the results of that survey do not surprise me.

9. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

• Like x 1
  10. Sasmania

Sasmania Member

I don't care what any poll says now. The tide will turn so fast once FSD is out and the suckers driving old ICE cars are watching those in a Tesla read a book, taking a nap, texting or otherwise completely relaxing while they are pulling their hair out at rush hour traffic.

And guess what, you can still grab the wheel and drive when you actually want to....but I'm guessing it will turn into FSD 80% or more of the time for most drivers once it's proven safe. Maybe less on the P versions :)

I also wonder how fast the laws will change in regards to DUIs? I would hope that as long as you are not in the drivers seat and don't touch the controls, you would be allowed to have the car drive you home without penalty...

• Like x 1
  11. croman

croman Active Member

You can get a DUI in my state for sleeping on the side of the road in the back seat. You can get DUI for smoking pot a month before getting in the car.

12. Sasmania

Sasmania Member

That's what is crazy. You are smart enough to not be driving, yet still get the same penalty as someone who was swerving all over the road. How does that make sense?

13. croman

croman Active Member

It depends on your intent. How did you get there? Did you leave your keys in the ignition? This becomes a lot more complicated with a car without an on off switch or ignition.

Further while the crime is similar, the punishment likely won't be.