Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VAT increase on public chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tom Callow from BP Pulse has tweeted about this, 30 minutes ago. He states it has not been increased and remains at 20%, as it always was. I think this is a peculiarity of Instavolt.

EDIT - I think InstaVolt were claiming it as a service and not VAT per unit supplied? I think this is also BP’s way of pointing out their prices are not increasing and the difference is quite significant

Anyone know what VAT rate IONITY have been applying? Adding 15% to theirs would be pushing £1 / kWh..

Last edited:
Reactions: davidmc
V
VAT on Electricity supplied to your home is 5%.
No surprise it is normal rate for public chargers.
Hmm.. what happens on free electricity, such as Tesco?
It is a value ADDED tax, When there is no charge, there is no tax! Since the electricity is being bought by a business, they don't pay VAT (or more accurately, it can be claimed back). Since it is not being sold, there is no VAT to pay..

Reactions: Delvino and Durzel
Wouldn't stand a chance IMO.

They will need to cover the shortfall from fossil eventually. About 72% of what we pay at the pumps (used to pay) was tax anyway so they will be looking for ways to recoup that loss as more people shift across to EV's.

Wouldn't stand a chance IMO.

They will need to cover the shortfall from fossil eventually. About 72% of what we pay at the pumps (used to pay) was tax anyway so they will be looking for ways to recoup that loss as more people shift across to EV's.
Yes we need to move to road pricing so those who do the miles pay the tax. Not those who don't have a drive

Reactions: ringi and tj333
Is this going to increase the supercharger fees?
Tesla already charge 20% VAT so the change by them not long ago was something else

Snapshot of invoice from last year

VAT.JPG

Reactions: SR-Plus