Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vault cover waterproof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The roll up tonneau cover won't like be waterproof.

I recently installed a new vinyl tonneau cover on my Dodge 3500, with melting snow on it, the seams start to leak.

I think the CT vault cover will deflect water off to the edges provided the rain isn't too heavy. But over time, and as more dirt gets rubbed into the hinges during normal usage, I think it'll be less water resistant.

The roll up tonneau cover won't like be waterproof.

I recently installed a new vinyl tonneau cover on my Dodge 3500, with melting snow on it, the seams start to leak.

I think the CT vault cover will deflect water off to the edges provided the rain isn't too heavy. But over time, and as more dirt gets rubbed into the hinges during normal usage, I think it'll be less water resistant.
Well it is sensible to believe that the roller cover won't be waterproof, but if it isn't the use of it is going to be EXTREMELY limited. Not only will you not have a real need to be able to have the climate controlled in it because it would be too porous and thin to insulate that space, and if rainwater can get in there then the lid will only be good to keep your stuff from being stolen or blowing out of the truck. Which is really not worth of the cost.
It would be a nightmare to be using the camping mode of sleeping in the vault with the roller cover in place, and then having a rain storm come along.....
So I am going to remain open to the engineering team making a waterproof rolling cover.

I saw a recent video with Sandy Munro where he was talking about the moving vault cover and it is the same design the military uses and it is very waterproof. He was saying once his company gets their hands on a CT they will do some extensive testing
This is just the thing I was hoping someone had heard about...now, do you have the source so I can watch/read it?
I was laying in bed this morning (retired wife at work, and had let the dogs out and just felt like the need to get another 20 minutes horizontal was the most important thing at the time), and even considered how will the retractable roof work in icy conditions. But if there is a better mousetrap out there then all my wonderings about the lid can be put to rest.

• Disagree
Reactions: drcarric2650
Seems yet another obvious problem we can trust very smart people have already addressed (vs us yahoos giving it 10 seconds' thought). Tesla is very committed to a paradigm of "don't let obvious issue ___ become a problem immediately after production release". A leaking bed cover seems an obvious & solvable problem.

Reactions: lafrisbee
I wonder how difficult it will be to keep the tonneau track clean enough to keep the cover from snagging and/or binding up? Since you won't be able to see out of the back window if the tonneau cover is deployed, I'm hoping that Tesla uses multiple (redundant?) cameras as a replacement for a rearview mirror.