Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vauxhall ampera slow to charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
went to use a charge station and the above car uses a type 2 so couldn't plug in.im used to leafs in my area using the chademo which leaves the type 2 free.
Anyway had a look at the charge station screen I'm sure it said charge time 2 hours 30 minutes. Charge delivered 3.5 kw.
No point waiting around then.

It will be about 8 hours to charge from empty to full on a L2 charger. It's indeed a lot slower than a DC Fast Charger, just as a Tesla destination charger is a lot slower than a Supercharger.

A L2 charger is great for overnight and topping off during a meal or shopping trip. There are a LOT more L2 chargers than Tesla or DC Fast Chargers.

what I meant to ask was are they really that slow to charge.how long to fully charge?
Yes the original Volt and Ampera (derived from the Volt) only had 3.6kW chargers. The inline charger only delivers 1.4 or 2.3kW. Ideal for base overnight charging but not really designed for trip charging. This is more than made up for by the fact that it is a hybrid EV - and IMHO, a bloody good one.
I have an old Volt and it's just turning 80,000 miles and most of the time the ICE only kicks in alongside a msg that it's only being started because it hasn't run for a while - I guess just to check it's OK.