TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vauxhall ampera slow to charge?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Subevo, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Subevo

Subevo Member

went to use a charge station and the above car uses a type 2 so couldn't plug in.im used to leafs in my area using the chademo which leaves the type 2 free.
    Anyway had a look at the charge station screen I'm sure it said charge time 2 hours 30 minutes. Charge delivered 3.5 kw.
    No point waiting around then.

2. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

What’s your question?

3. Subevo

Subevo Member

what I meant to ask was are they really that slow to charge.how long to fully charge?

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

It will be about 8 hours to charge from empty to full on a L2 charger. It's indeed a lot slower than a DC Fast Charger, just as a Tesla destination charger is a lot slower than a Supercharger.

A L2 charger is great for overnight and topping off during a meal or shopping trip. There are a LOT more L2 chargers than Tesla or DC Fast Chargers.

5. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

The Ampera has a very slow charger built into it. The Ampera E is better, but still not great.

• Like x 1
  6. sashton

sashton Member

Yes the original Volt and Ampera (derived from the Volt) only had 3.6kW chargers. The inline charger only delivers 1.4 or 2.3kW. Ideal for base overnight charging but not really designed for trip charging. This is more than made up for by the fact that it is a hybrid EV - and IMHO, a bloody good one.
    I have an old Volt and it's just turning 80,000 miles and most of the time the ICE only kicks in alongside a msg that it's only being started because it hasn't run for a while - I guess just to check it's OK.