Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VCFRONT_a135_coolantlevellow Service Mode Error?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was messing with service mode while waiting for my car to charge and noticed this error that repeatedly showed up in the service-only alerts section.

Anyone know if it’s something that needs to be taken care of urgently? The car has been in for service several times recently for unrelated things but they’ve never mentioned anything about this. Also, my warranty is about to expire.

2018 model 3 LR RWD

Attachments

• B8CA6165-CE7B-4ECC-ADF9-CC65D6D60E0A.jpeg
    B8CA6165-CE7B-4ECC-ADF9-CC65D6D60E0A.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 490
Tesla Model 3 - Coolant Level Low Warning while in Service Mode

VCFRONT_a135_coolantLevelLow - VCFRONT_A135 Coolant Level Low

2019 LR RWD - The coolant low service alert message only displayed in Service Mode. My local service center said it was OK to stop by without an appointment. They had the car for less than 15 minutes. They didn't provide any paperwork or explanation of what they did. I assume they added coolant. They definitely didn't have time to search for a leak. The provided no paperwork or explanation of the repair, service, or work performed.

For me, outside of a bad sensor, this message indicates there is a leak somewhere in the coolant system. This is a closed system and the only way the coolant can be "low" is via a leak in the closed system. Reflecting on my experience, I would leave the car at the service center and insist on an explanation and root cause. I suspect Tesla is happy to add coolant until your warranty expires and then charge you out of pocket to actually find and 'fix' the leak. Perhaps there is a Tesla service tech on this forum who could provide more insight?

While not included in the screenshot below, the alert history showed it had triggered for over a month but as noted above, no alert was displayed to the driver. This could only be seen in Service Mode - Vehicle is 2.5 years old with ~25,000 miles. Always garaged (home and work)

Screenshot 2022-12-17 115621.jpg

Hi @AZ-3 ,

It was nice of them to top it off for you...

With all of the passages in the battery and drive unit(s) it is
possible over time some trapped air has been released.

This Service Alert looks to me like an early warning that your coolant
is nearing the low level.

There is a message that will show on your display "Coolant Level Low"
when the coolant is low.

Check the rear and/or front underneath your car for wet spots.
The rear and or front designation is dependent on whether you have
a rear wheel drive or front/4 wheel drive car.
The coolant does pass through your drive units.
On clean concrete you can barely see the light blue tint of the coolant.
The stain will almost look like an oil spot more than a water spot
as it will not evaporate.

When I had a low coolant problem - rodents had chewed through the
hoses to my rear drive unit... The aero panels will contain the coolant
from spilling onto the ground, so the leaks are "disguised."

Good luck,

Shawn

Had the same alert in service mode on my recently purchased used 2020 M3LR. Mobile service came out and topped off coolant level with radiator fluid. Tech said they usually have a 55 gallon drum at the SC but were out and had to buy 10 bottles of antifreeze at Autozone. He said it is common in our area , Phoenix AZ.

I wound up adding maybe 3-5oz tops, before reaching the max file line. So, not very much in other words. I expect that it's not worth scheduling a service call, hence the lack of a bulletin in the main driving mode, but something the techs can see if you bring the car in for something else and let them top it up while the vehicle is there?

I wound up adding maybe 3-5oz tops, before reaching the max file line. So, not very much in other words. I expect that it's not worth scheduling a service call, hence the lack of a bulletin in the main driving mode, but something the techs can see if you bring the car in for something else and let them top it up while the vehicle is there?
If you get out of service mode and do a reboot it seems all alerts that have been fixed go away in service mode. I will check every month to see if alert comes back in case there is actually a leak somewhere.

I have the same situation on my 2018 model 3 performance. Thanks for the link showing the proper coolant mixture and brand. I haven't checked yet, but is there a link for the location of the coolant film, neck and proper level?