Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 Model 3 Long Range (less than 4,000 miles) got bricked last week after supercharging. It's currently at the service center, but they've been "diagnosing" for a week now and they can't figure out what's wrong. Here is my perspective leading up to the error, bricking, and eventual tow to service center.

1. Charged to 100% in preparation for a road trip. It was fairly cold outside around 28 degrees F. The "preconditioning battery for fast charging" popped up a few times as I got close to a supercharger.
2. Arrived at Bayton Houston Supercharger and backed into charging stall #1. Outdoor temperature was around 40 degrees F at this time. Battery was at 15%.
3. Plugged in supercharger and verified it was charging. I walked inside to grab some snacks, when I noticed the Tesla app saying "charging stopped". Battery was at 20% when this occurred.
4. Walked back outside, and unplugged and re-plugged the supercharger cable in a few times. The app would say "charging starting" then after 30 seconds or so, say "charging stopped".
5. I got back in my car to move to another charging station, thinking it was a faulty charger. However, that's when I noticed the error message "VCFRONT_a180 Electrical sytem power reduced". At this point, it would not let me put the car into gear or drive it. The console was dimmed, but was still running HVAC heat. I assume we were running on 12V battery at this point.
6. I tried doing a restart of the software by holding both steering wheel buttons until the screen turned off and the Tesla logo came back on. Did this a couple times.
7. Tried turning off the car (Controls > Safety > Power Off), waited a few minutes, then pressed the brake pedal to start the car again. Did this a couple times.
8. After about 20-30 minutes, the car completely turned off, and pressing the brake would not turn it back on.
9. Tow truck driver arrived, and we were able to manually open the frunk with a small 12V battery, and then use a jump start battery pack to jump the 12V. Was able to put the car into gear and limp it onto the tow truck, but there were several warnings on the screen. Not sure exactly what was going off, as the tow truck driver was driving, and I was off on the side.
10. Towed to Service Center, they are unable to replicate this issue. The car seems to be charging and driving fine. I am VERY hesitant to just take the car back, since very rarely do things "fix itself".

Anyone else seen this issue before? This was out first road trip with the new Tesla, and I am now scared to take it more than a couple hundred miles outside of any major city.

It seems obvious that the 12v battery was dead, or you wouldn't have needed the jump, however the car is new, so the battery shouldn't be bad, and the SC should have thoroughly tested it. You might want to carry a jump pack just in case that can get you out of your next jam. I also suggest popping the frunk as soon as you start to have trouble so you don't have go through the dance to pop it with a dead battery.

Reactions: ATPMSD
I do have the new Lithium Ion system. Car is fairly new (mid 2022, 4000 miles), and the low voltage battery seemed to be healthy. My best guess of what happened is that somehow the connection to the HV (high voltage) battery temporarily failed, perhaps due to the cold. The car then switched to use the low voltage battery to power the car (running HVAC and other systems in the car), which explains why the car ended up shutting down completely after about 20 mins in this mode.

The service center could not reproduce the issue. The car was able to charge, drive, and was completely fine after they began diagnosis. Granted, the temperature did warm up significantly since then.

Service center is giving my car back without doing any fixes...although I was very adamant for them to keep it until they can figure out root cause. They checked all the battery connections, battery health, and firmware and all were working fine. Now I'm forever going to have anxiety that this happens again...

Got the car back.

Their lead tech spent 30 hours to drop the HV battery and pretty much take it apart. They also checked each connection between HV and 12V and validated everything was fine as well.

I've always heard bad things about customer service, but the SC employees at the location I was at were surprisingly good. (North Houston, TX)

Nothing was swapped out mechanically, but car has been driving fine since I got it back. We'll see if this ever happens again...

Reactions: DownshiftDre
Got the car back.

Their lead tech spent 30 hours to drop the HV battery and pretty much take it apart. They also checked each connection between HV and 12V and validated everything was fine as well.

I've always heard bad things about customer service, but the SC employees at the location I was at were surprisingly good. (North Houston, TX)

Nothing was swapped out mechanically, but car has been driving fine since I got it back. We'll see if this ever happens again...
If it happens again, don't try a reboot until see the cause. Going i not service mode under notifications it should tell you exactly what caused it in more detail than the generic notifications button top of normal page. Rebooting might erase the message so take a photo, exit service mode then if a reboot suggested go ahead but you will have the record. it could be a bad LV battery I have heard of some having issues and that is a replacement at the service center since software must be reinstalled (only on the 15.5v lithium cars). Could be something simple as a lose connection.