Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

vcm needs replacement even after MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 Model S, this past winter I paid for the MCU2 upgrade. This past weekend went to car and it was bricked, would not turn on at all and would not shift in revers,neutral or drive. Got it towed to Tesla and they diagnosed it as needing a new VCM. Anyone else have this issue after getting upgrade. I was under the impression the VCM gets swapped out with the MCU2. Or just bad luck and have a faulty MCU2. Anyone else have this issue?

I can only find search results for that term that are associated with the Nvidia Tegra platform that MCU1 was based on. MCU2 is an Intel Atom platform, totally different.

In any case, the infotainment upgrade you paid for should have come with some sort of warranty, so if they're saying it's MCU related, I'd push them to cover it.

I can only find search results for that term that are associated with the Nvidia Tegra platform that MCU1 was based on. MCU2 is an Intel Atom platform, totally different.

In any case, the infotainment upgrade you paid for should have come with some sort of warranty, so if they're saying it's MCU related, I'd push them to cover it.
your correct, they are covering it. I just never heard of this issue after MCU2 upgrade.