TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

VDS Contrast Problem

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by malag7, Jul 23, 2018.

1. malag7

malag7 New Member

Hi Everybody

Since a couple weeks my VDS display is kind of dark and it is almost impossible to see the information on the display.

If I go into the contrast settings I can do the following steps.

but after a couple seconds the display is dark again.

Anybody can help or does anybody have an idea what I can do? I belive the screen should still be ok as he lights up for a few seconds everytime.

BTW I rebooted the VDS allready and it does not change anything!

Thanks a lot for any suggestions

2. DeedWest

DeedWest 2010 Roadster 2.0 - VIN 523

While I've never seen anything like it, your VDS display could be dying out. I've heard they're about $600 to replace, though I'm not certain.

If you can access the Diagnostic Menu, you could try Inhibiting APS and then turning it back on.

3. backmost

backmost Member

Like DeedWest mentioned I would try a reboot if possible. Luckily OVMS can control everything the VDS does so if you're screen has gone kaput you have another method of controlling the car.

I hope Tesla has a spare one in their ever shrinking parts bin, but in the meantime OVMS seems the way to go.

4. gregd

gregd Active Member

Interesting thought to use OVMS, but it can't do everything. Much, actually, at least as it is now. And it totally depends on a working CAN bus, so if your VDS isn't talking to the VMS (ref Communication Problem Service Required (id:1900)), you're stuck.

(Related question: when you disable APS, can you still open the driver's door from the key slot at the bottom?)

5. malag7

malag7 New Member

Thanks everybody for your answers. So far Inhibiting APS didn't change anything at all. You need to know that the display works fine I can still use all the functions in my dark garage. Just the contrast is very low and the light also. But I still can use it. the problem is that I outside with sunlight I can't see anything at all.

So you guys think to replace the display will solve the problem?

6. backmost

backmost Member

The weird thing is it looks like it works fine for a moment and then suddenly it goes back to being messed up.

Certainly wouldn't hurt to have Tesla take a look. Things like this worry me as our cars get older.

7. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Is it a backlit led display? Sounds like the backlight is going bad.

8. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

If the back light is bad it would not be able to hold brightness as shown in the video. Seems like it won't memorize the contrast change adjustment for some reason.