Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VDS Contrast Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everybody

Since a couple weeks my VDS display is kind of dark and it is almost impossible to see the information on the display.

If I go into the contrast settings I can do the following steps.

but after a couple seconds the display is dark again.

Anybody can help or does anybody have an idea what I can do? I belive the screen should still be ok as he lights up for a few seconds everytime.

BTW I rebooted the VDS allready and it does not change anything!

Thanks a lot for any suggestions

While I've never seen anything like it, your VDS display could be dying out. I've heard they're about $600 to replace, though I'm not certain.

If you can access the Diagnostic Menu, you could try Inhibiting APS and then turning it back on.

Like DeedWest mentioned I would try a reboot if possible. Luckily OVMS can control everything the VDS does so if you're screen has gone kaput you have another method of controlling the car.

I hope Tesla has a spare one in their ever shrinking parts bin, but in the meantime OVMS seems the way to go.

Like DeedWest mentioned I would try a reboot if possible. Luckily OVMS can control everything the VDS does so if you're screen has gone kaput you have another method of controlling the car.

I hope Tesla has a spare one in their ever shrinking parts bin, but in the meantime OVMS seems the way to go.
Interesting thought to use OVMS, but it can't do everything. Much, actually, at least as it is now. And it totally depends on a working CAN bus, so if your VDS isn't talking to the VMS (ref Communication Problem Service Required (id:1900)), you're stuck.

(Related question: when you disable APS, can you still open the driver's door from the key slot at the bottom?)

Thanks everybody for your answers. So far Inhibiting APS didn't change anything at all. You need to know that the display works fine I can still use all the functions in my dark garage. Just the contrast is very low and the light also. But I still can use it. the problem is that I outside with sunlight I can't see anything at all.

So you guys think to replace the display will solve the problem?