Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vector maps for AU/NZ? Anyone got the yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the 2018.24 update a couple of weeks ago, and the nav maps changed to the grey style maps. It seems these are supposed to be vector style maps according to European and US users. The new vector maps are supposed to work on MCU1 systems: MCU1 Vector maps. When?

But apparently the new maps need Tom Tom data, not Garmin which is still bitmap. The Tom Tom data needs to be downloaded separately from the update, if I understand correctly. So it's possible to have 2018.24 and still be on bitmap (Garmin) maps apparently. Of course I could have misunderstood this.

I haven't noticed the road names in the IC (instrument cluster) like those mentioned in the above thread.

Has anybody been able to confirm that we are getting vector maps in AU and NZ?

I'm unable to access my MS (MCU1) at the moment so can't check the maps for the 'Tom Tom' label which is supposed to be at the bottom beside the 'Google' map lable.

PS....sorry about the typo in the heading.....can't workout how to change it. Perhaps a moderator could fix it for me........'Anyone got them yet?'

Yep don't confuse the navigation (cluster behind the steering wheel) with the MCU.

2018.24.1 introduced vector maps to the MCU. The navigation update for the cluster is still MIA - when we will get this additional update is unknown (and frustrating as the cluster is using 2015 navigation data AFAIK).

Shane.

Tom Tom maps exist for Australia since July 13
It is just a matter of time until they push it to all cars. I don't know if they got officially released or not, maybe no one legitimately has them yet.

But I see that it exists and I'm sure you guys will get it soon.

And as Shane said please don't confuse the Google Maps (which are now vector maps from 2018.24) with the offline maps which is used for navigation itself.

The last Navigon map release for Australia (which all cars should have right now) is Q1 2015

Code:
2018/07/13 14:03:03 AU-2018.12-983
2015/11/20 11:24:17 AU-Q115-9de09736

And New Zeland I assume is also part of the Australia maps since I don't see separate NZ maps. So all the above should apply to NZ too.

The new map's size seems to be only around 600-700 megs

I can suggest keeping your cars on Wi-Fi because Tesla always specifies a date which until the car waits for Wi-Fi to download the update so if you want to get it quicker then have your car connected. (this works the same for normal firmware updates too)

That's the presentation of the new vector rendering of the maps.
BTW I was told that some sort of issue was discovered when they installed the new navigation and maps in an old-MCU car (in Melbourne) and that was the reason we were still waiting on getting those pushed out more widely. Seems to still be new cars only that I've heard of being equipped with the new maps and nav on delivery. Hopefully not far off, will be great to finally have traffic awarenes in the main nav and not have to double check with google.

Seems I have the new vector maps then....grey main background...I’ve defiantly an old-MCU car....car was with Tesla for 2-3 weeks though for ‘stuff’ being done....got it back last night and it’s the first thing I noticed.

In all honesty I can’t tell the different with the exception of the colour change....how/what test can I do?

From what I can work out most AU and NZ people are slowly getting the vector based Google maps on the MCU, including MCU1s. But no one in AU or NZ has the new navigation software (the bit that reads out directions and displays on the instrument cluster). The new navigation software on the instrument cluster displays street names in framed 'speech bubble' like boxes (see attached image). And according to discussions is 'traffic aware' resulting in traffic based routing. But I could be wrong.
IMG_0981-1.jpeg

Yes, I have the new vector maps.
In my opinion they look much better and clearer.
The negatives are that traffic data seems to be different at different zoom levels, and also the tiles take longer to load if panning away from current location.

I prefer no-nags on 2018.18.2. Vector maps won’t entice me. Not sure which will finally make me update:

• Dashcam mode - maybe
• Fully functioning Navigation that recognises new motorways which doesn’t make autopilot & even regular cruise control unusable - that would be really good
• Cross Country Summon - very likely yes
• Forced update at next service - most likely of all

Reactions: mike_j