Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vector maps for AU/NZ? Anyone got the yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to get the thread back on topic.....I have some great news.

This morning I got in the car and there was a release notes message on the MCU. It was blank, as in no release notes. I thought that is weird, especially given I did not initiate any software updates. And there was no notification on the app.

But......suddenly my navigation software (the mini map in the instrument cluster) is vector based (see attached photo).

Two weeks ago I updated to 2018.26 but at the time it didn't seem to affect the navigation. It's almost as if the navigation maps/instrument cluster updated themselves to vector last night.

Anyway.... I can now confirm that both the MCU and instrument cluster support vector maps on MCU1 models in New Zealand.

20180809_090840.jpg

Reactions: ICUDoc
Can confirm it's rolling out for Aussies too. Mine updated last night. Just a note that you don't get any sort of update notification via the app like you do for a software update. It seems to download separately and install by itself.

Street names pop up in a little chat-bubble type thing and seem a bit smoother

MVIMG_20180809_083505.jpg

In the settings, there's also options for routing based on traffic conditions that wasn't there before (sorry for potato quality pics)
IMG_20180809_083626.jpg

Reactions: ARMARM and ICUDoc
I also got the new maps last night.
I think there’s a distinction to be made between vector maps and new maps. The MCU screen has been vector for me since 2018.26 about three weeks ago. That’s the grey background with text that stays horizontal when twisting map.
This is the new IC cluster area with new options in the Apps/Nav setting for traffic avoidance.
Hopefully this also is fresh map data. Driving to Brisbane and back lately Autopilot is almost unusable thanks to new roads causing sudden braking.

Ok, went up to Nambucca Heads for lunch and to test the new maps out.

Good news:

* Nav now knows the correct route into the Port Macquarie supercharger. When departing and heading north it recommends turning right at the Casegrains top gate and rejoining the motorway about 5km north, rather than backtracking via the entry route [which was the only option so far as i knew until today!]

* Autopilot north of Port Macquarie works well now. No problems with crossing extinct roads causing braking in the middle of nowhere.

* Starting at about South Kempsey on the A1 auto lane change is enabled, and was available on all the new road sections north of there. Was not available on the legacy stretches of road still. That was great, no more flicking in and out of AP to overtake P platers and trucks.

Not as good news:

* The cars speed database is inaccurate in a lot of places. Port Macquarie to South Kempsey is 110 Kph road but the car thinks its 100.

* Final exit instruction "exit left now" is given quite late - right when you should be well into the move

* At the fork onto the new freeway at South Kempsey AP was a little confused on speed, and there were a few AP limited to 80 kph messages with the car speeding up and slowing down but it sorted itself once firmly on the A1.

* A similar speed limited to 110kph message with no hesitation (I was doing 110) up the hill before the off-ramp to the Port Macquari SC.

All in all a very much appreciated update!

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Thanks Tesla.

Vector maps on car when I got home from nightshift this morning.

Nice birthday present. MX in having charger replaced atm so will get it back with 2018.28.1 also.

All I need now is MCU2 and Lte upgrade ;)
On this subject...does anyone know how to tell whether you have MCU1 or MCU2 without access to the web browser that our US friends have? I had my MCU replaced recently, and am keen to find out if they replaced it with the new one..