Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vector Maps??

Lee_B

Supporting Member
Nov 22, 2016
Springfield VA
What happened to the vector map update. I have the 2018.12 firmware but the maps look the same. Did I miss something or is everyone still waiting?

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
What happened to the vector map update. I have the 2018.12 firmware but the maps look the same. Did I miss something or is everyone still waiting?

Map is a separate download that comes after 2018.12.

You'll be prompted in your Tesla to update but no notifications on your phone.

Blup85

Oct 26, 2016
Chico
Do you know this because you've been through the process?

If you have please provide more info.

I've had 2018.12 since March 29 and no sign of the map update you mention.

Me too. Have had since the 28th, but no maps :(. On wifi too.

Nerdy_Engineer

Brett - The Nerdy Engineer
Sep 22, 2016
Colorado
You're all probably already aware, but the Google Maps on the big screen doesn't change, it's only the map on the dashboard during navigation that changes.

BigD0g

Jan 12, 2017
Somewhere
Navigation download has nothing to do with vector maps, vector maps is a cid config away and just works no 5g download, no idea when they are going to enable vector maps, I “think” they are already on mcu2. I know they are on m3.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D

outie

May 22, 2016
SoCal
You're all probably already aware, but the Google Maps on the big screen doesn't change, it's only the map on the dashboard during navigation that changes.
If it’s now vector maps, it’s changed, right? I know I noticed the coloring is different and that’s something my wife, who usually cares less, noticed immediately.

• Disagree
Reactions: BigD0g

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon

People have reported how it works. After the update to 2018.12 there will be a large download, over WiFi, your MCU will reboot and display the release notes again, but this time they include information about the new, beta, navigation system.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf and Lee_B

ABC2D

Dec 19, 2016
Home

Just do 30 sec of looking around the forums and you'll find all the info you need

• Informative
Reactions: Jays200

BigD0g

Jan 12, 2017
Somewhere
@Jays200 You must be on WiFi to get the navigation maps download. This has nothing to do with vector maps. Navigation maps and CID maps are very different things! Navigation Maps are / will be Tesla Maps ( Maps in the IC ), Maps on the CID are Google maps and one day to be Google Maps with vector graphics which has nothing to do with the latest firmware and navigation push.

Jays200

Apr 1, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
My car spends 23 hours a day on WiFi and charging from the Sun. Not literally of course but it does spend most of its time at home.

The pics below show a navigation route (root) from my house to Perth international airport. The intersection I've pictured was opened in Sept 2015, however, the blue nav route shows a left turn which was the old traffic light controlled intersection. This has obviously not been updated
20180404_205010_resized.jpg
20180404_205051_resized.jpg
20180404_205114_resizeda.jpg

Keeping in mind we drive on the left over here, the small grey (gray) bit of road with no green traffic flow is the path it should take. The car will gradually slow itself in this area because it's confused. It thinks we're "off the reservation". Yep, spent a bit of time in the USA ;)

BigD0g

Jan 12, 2017
Somewhere
My car spends 23 hours a day on WiFi and charging from the Sun. Not literally of course but it does spend most of its time at home.

The pics below show a navigation route (root) from my house to Perth international airport. The intersection I've pictured was opened in Sept 2015, however, the blue nav route shows a left turn which was the old traffic light controlled intersection. This has obviously not been updatedView attachment 291691 View attachment 291692 View attachment 291693

Keeping in mind we drive on the left over here, the small grey (gray) bit of road with no green traffic flow is the path it should take. The car will gradually slow itself in this area because it's confused. It thinks we're "off the reservation". Yep, spent a bit of time in the USA ;)

I hate to break this to you, but the new maps Elon is referring too is for NA only. Unless your Korea and I think one other place that @verygreen knows, but it's only for NA in regards to Elon tweets. I wouldn't hold my breath internationally.

nemSoma

Oct 6, 2017
Budapest, Hungary

The pics below show a navigation route (root) from my house to Perth international airport. The intersection I've pictured was opened in Sept 2015, however, the blue nav route shows a left turn which was the old traffic light controlled intersection. This has obviously not been updatedView attachment 291691 View attachment 291692 View attachment 291693

AFAIK newest Australia maps in Teslas are Q1 2015 Navigon maps. They haven't been updated since then
Europe has Q1 2017 Navigon maps and finally NA has the new 2018 Tesla maps

Last edited:

Murbs

Oct 6, 2016
Perth Western Australia
AFAIK newest Australia maps in Teslas are Q1 2015 Navigon maps. They haven't been updated since then
Europe has Q1 2017 Navigon maps and finally NA has the new 2018 Tesla maps
Therein lies the crux of the problem.
When Elon tweets that new maps are coming out this weekend etc, the WHOLE world listens and gets excited. That excitement then quickly turns to disappointment and disillusionment when people outside the USA gradually find out that almost none of what Elon tweets is ever intended to be delivered to any of his loyal foreign owners any time soon.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC