TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vector Maps??

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Lee_B, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Lee_B

Lee_B Supporting Member

What happened to the vector map update. I have the 2018.12 firmware but the maps look the same. Did I miss something or is everyone still waiting?

2. unpollo2

unpollo2 Member

im still on 2018.10.4

3. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Map is a separate download that comes after 2018.12.

You'll be prompted in your Tesla to update but no notifications on your phone.

4. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Do you know this because you've been through the process?

If you have please provide more info.

I've had 2018.12 since March 29 and no sign of the map update you mention.

5. Lee_B

Lee_B Supporting Member

Thanks. Got 2018.12 today so I guess it's coming

6. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Me too. Have had since the 28th, but no maps :(. On wifi too.

7. rsum

rsum Member

It's on an elon timeline. You may get it by the end of the month. Or may not.

• Like x 1
  8. Nerdy_Engineer

Nerdy_Engineer Brett - The Nerdy Engineer

You're all probably already aware, but the Google Maps on the big screen doesn't change, it's only the map on the dashboard during navigation that changes.

9. Jays200

Jays200 Member

• Helpful x 1
  10. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Navigation download has nothing to do with vector maps, vector maps is a cid config away and just works no 5g download, no idea when they are going to enable vector maps, I “think” they are already on mcu2. I know they are on m3.

• Informative x 1
  11. outie

outie Active Member

If it’s now vector maps, it’s changed, right? I know I noticed the coloring is different and that’s something my wife, who usually cares less, noticed immediately.

• Disagree x 1
  12. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

People have reported how it works. After the update to 2018.12 there will be a large download, over WiFi, your MCU will reboot and display the release notes again, but this time they include information about the new, beta, navigation system.

• Informative x 2
  13. MasterT

MasterT Member

Just do 30 sec of looking around the forums and you'll find all the info you need

• Informative x 1
  14. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

@Jays200 You must be on WiFi to get the navigation maps download. This has nothing to do with vector maps. Navigation maps and CID maps are very different things! Navigation Maps are / will be Tesla Maps ( Maps in the IC ), Maps on the CID are Google maps and one day to be Google Maps with vector graphics which has nothing to do with the latest firmware and navigation push.

• Informative x 2
  15. Nerdy_Engineer

Nerdy_Engineer Brett - The Nerdy Engineer

16. Jays200

Jays200 Member

My car spends 23 hours a day on WiFi and charging from the Sun. Not literally of course but it does spend most of its time at home.

The pics below show a navigation route (root) from my house to Perth international airport. The intersection I've pictured was opened in Sept 2015, however, the blue nav route shows a left turn which was the old traffic light controlled intersection. This has obviously not been updated 20180404_205010_resized.jpg 20180404_205051_resized.jpg 20180404_205114_resizeda.jpg

Keeping in mind we drive on the left over here, the small grey (gray) bit of road with no green traffic flow is the path it should take. The car will gradually slow itself in this area because it's confused. It thinks we're "off the reservation". Yep, spent a bit of time in the USA ;)

17. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

I hate to break this to you, but the new maps Elon is referring too is for NA only. Unless your Korea and I think one other place that @verygreen knows, but it's only for NA in regards to Elon tweets. I wouldn't hold my breath internationally.

18. nemSoma

nemSoma Member

#19 nemSoma, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    AFAIK newest Australia maps in Teslas are Q1 2015 Navigon maps. They haven't been updated since then
    Europe has Q1 2017 Navigon maps and finally NA has the new 2018 Tesla maps

19. Murbs

Murbs Member

Therein lies the crux of the problem.
    When Elon tweets that new maps are coming out this weekend etc, the WHOLE world listens and gets excited. That excitement then quickly turns to disappointment and disillusionment when people outside the USA gradually find out that almost none of what Elon tweets is ever intended to be delivered to any of his loyal foreign owners any time soon.