Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vegan Model X Now an Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S'toon

Knows where his towel is
Apr 23, 2015
AB
Forgive me if this has been posted, but I couldn't find it if it was.
<snip>

For decades, leather-free options in the car industry have been limited at best. Generally speaking, buyers looking to avoid the use of animal products in their cars would have to settle for basic models with cloth seats and plastic steering wheels, but as they add options like better engines, heated seats or upgraded speakers, they're often forced to choose leather seats.

But now, Tesla's "Ultra White" interior option, currently only offered in the new Model X SUV, comes available with a fully vegan interior — including synthetic leather seats, steering wheel and gear shift — giving that streamlined luxury look of leather.

The company reportedly created the new interior option, in part, after receiving criticism from potential customers who felt the company's eco-friendly stance on limiting emissions made no sense when the cars included animal products.

<snip>
Full article at:
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/electric-cars-aren-t-enough-tesla-now-going-vegan-n497396

Does the Ultra White Model X come entirely without leather by default? Or do you have to request a vegan steering wheel and other bits like in the Model S? I think it's nice that Elon Musk's Model X has the vegan seats.

Does the Ultra White Model X come entirely without leather by default? Or do you have to request a vegan steering wheel and other bits like in the Model S? I think it's nice that Elon Musk's Model X has the vegan seats.

I was told by my DS that the standard steering wheel is black leather no matter what interior you select. When I asked about a vegan option a while ago when I placed my order, he said he wasn't aware of one for the X, just the S, and if I requested it, it would delay delivery. As it is it is taking forever.

I've never seen it mentioned anywhere that non-leather steering wheel comes with ultra white by defualt. Tesla has never mentioned vegan in the design studio or anywhere else either.

The description for the Premium Upgrades Package states "Leather arm rests, steering wheel and lower dashboard when paried with leather seating". This implies if you do not select the Premium Upgrades Package or if you select Ultra White seats, those items would not contain real leather. In another thread I saw a response quoting a Tesla rep that the Subzero Weather Package also includes a leather steering wheel as that's the only one that offers the heated function, but nowhere in the Design Studio does it mention this.

The description for the Premium Upgrades Package states "Leather arm rests, steering wheel and lower dashboard when paried with leather seating". This implies if you do not select the Premium Upgrades Package or if you select Ultra White seats, those items would not contain real leather. In another thread I saw a response quoting a Tesla rep that the Subzero Weather Package also includes a leather steering wheel as that's the only one that offers the heated function, but nowhere in the Design Studio does it mention this.

As has been true since 2013, if you want a true vegan interior on your vehicle, you need to specifically ask Tesla. Otherwise, you WILL get some leather (like steering wheel) in your vehicle. Thank Leilani Munter for the ability to order a vegan vehicle, not the lobbying that happened this summer. She made it happen back in 2013.

You will lose heated steering wheel.

The only change since 2013 is that the synthetic leather is now an option for seats (vs. fabric). It is not 'the vegan interior', however. A vegan interior must be specifically requested & is not available through the Design Studio.

I was told by my DS that the standard steering wheel is black leather no matter what interior you select. When I asked about a vegan option a while ago when I placed my order, he said he wasn't aware of one for the X, just the S, and if I requested it, it would delay delivery. As it is it is taking forever.

Mod removed my previous reply due to "snippiness," or perhaps more likely: because of the remarkably juvenile comment that followed from someone else? Since it remains informative to the thread, I'll repost it here with more genteel words, just in case it was me. (And I remain amazed at how those that see and help create a world without gasoline can have such massive angst about creating an environmentally-friendly world without cruelty. It doesn't seem logical.)

"Your DS was incorrect. IIRC, the steering wheel is not made out of environmentally-destructive leather on the X unless one orders the leather interior (2 of the 4 interior options). This info is scattered about on the Design Center pages."

Changed text follows...

Heads up--the facts presented below may conflict with the things we learned from our parents and teachers:

Source: Gizmodo.com

How Leather Is Slowly Killing the People and Places That Make It

Source: Vice.com

Tanneries in Bangladesh Are Spewing Toxic Waste and Making Workers Sick | VICE News

www.cowspiracy.com

Environmental Hazards of Leather | The Leather Industry | Animals Used for Clothing | The Issues | PETA

- - - Updated - - -

As has been true since 2013, if you want a true vegan interior on your vehicle, you need to specifically ask Tesla. Otherwise, you WILL get some leather (like steering wheel) in your vehicle. Thank Leilani Munter for the ability to order a vegan vehicle, not the lobbying that happened this summer. She made it happen back in 2013.

You will lose heated steering wheel.

The only change since 2013 is that the synthetic leather is now an option for seats (vs. fabric). It is not 'the vegan interior', however. A vegan interior must be specifically requested & is not available through the Design Studio.

I believe this to be correct ONLY with the current Model S orders (and may change).

The Model X is different. AFAIK, the two non-leather interiors in the Model X include the environmentally-friendly, non-leather steering wheel, even with the Cold Weather Package--there's no technical reason this wouldn't be the case.

We had an "X" on order and I'll double check later.

- - - Updated - - -

I would encourage you to re-engage with Tesla HQ on your order.

Especially after the NYT article, I strongly believe the vegan Model X is a regular production option. In my experience, the DS's have not be fully informed in the past. For many, it's a new job and they're just not up to speed on the many details they need to master:

[If the link won't post, just search for "vegan Tesla" at NYT.com]

Last edited:
I believe this to be correct ONLY with the current Model S orders (and may change).

The Model X is different. AFAIK, the two non-leather interiors in the Model X include the environmentally-friendly, non-leather steering wheel, even with the Cold Weather Package--there's no technical reason this wouldn't be the case.

We had an "X" on order and I'll double check later.
I'll help you out here. So far, the X's delivered with the ultra white synthetic option have been delivered with a leather steering wheel UNLESS the reservation holder made clear they wanted a vegan vehicle.

Again, nothing has (yet) changed since 2013. If you want a vegan vehicle, you cannot order through the Design Studio, but must talk to sales to make that happen.

To continue to insist that if you order ultra white, you'll automatically get a vegan vehicle, will result in some disappointed people when they find out at delivery that this is not true. Note that nowhere in the Design Studio does Tesla lead anyone to believe they can select a vegan option.