Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Veganism/Leather etc. out of Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parkinsonism Develops in Animals Given Herbicide and Lectins at Low Dose, Study Reports

lets put this in context, the combination of a leaky gut and green pea lectins is a known agent to cause parkinsons disease.
No, let's put this in actual context, with the combination of poison and lectins:
“We were able to demonstrate that if you have oral paraquat exposure, even at very low levels, and you also consume lectins — perhaps in the form of uncooked vegetables, dairy or eggs — then it could potentially trigger the formation of this protein alpha-synuclein in the gut,”

So I'll assume you have concerns with dairy and eggs as well?

From the paper:
"While lectins are environmentally pervasive, dietary lectins in properly cooked food are harmless and generally thought to pose no health risk."

Since the burgers are cooked lectins are not a concern, and your fear mongering attempts fall flat.

JRP3

here is the open text I linked to
http://sci-hub.tw/https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.24448

ok, so my idiot interpretation
vagotomy was a medical treatment, and now there is a cohort which a large population study of long term effects of that treatment.
Once baddies pass the penetrate the epithelial lining, they can tranfer via the vagal nerve and do bad stuff in the brain, this process takes 20 years. a full vagotomy stops this avenue, halving the rate of parkingson's disease.

so what?
this is something akin to the asbestos timebomb, its slow,
the combination of a agent that attacks the gut (be it pesticide or gluten etc) with an agent that binds to the brain (specific lectins, particularly pea based) is a time bomb with a 20+ year fuse.

if a society decides to consume in high quantities both glutens and pea lectins, if they live long enough, they will multiply their occurrence of PD. fake meats tend to rely on plant proteins, be it wheat, soy or pea. this is sad, they don't realise the long term gamble they are taking.

On a related note, I just tried the Impossible Cheeseburger from Red Robin. Wow. I swear it tastes like beef or better. If being vegetarian/vegan can taste like this, I’d definitely be open to it.

885DB452-AA3D-42D4-A401-879618884BDB.jpeg

So, don't drink wastewater? OK, got it.
The industry considers soy to quite a potent pollutant, and testing for its EEQ is standardized. ISO 19040-2:2018

lets consider impossible meats, and what we know
Estrogens in the daily diet: in vitro analysis indicates that estrogenic activity is omnipresent in foodstuff and infant formula. - PubMed - NCBI
upload_2019-4-11_13-31-13.png

if the buns are not soy excluded, then they are about 15 EEQ/100grams
if the impossible meats recipe 2 is half soy, thats a wild guess at 50 EEQ/100grams

so the above burger is 2 x 20 grams bread with a 75 gram piece of fake meat, its literally a stack of estogenic compounds presented as food that would be quite deleterious if it was presented as wastewater.

the EEQ of soy products varies wildly, from the extreme high (soy lecithin) to the quite low (3yr fermented soya sauce). perhaps one day the impossible meat will be tested, but i'm not waiting for it.

Impossible Foods is definitely on to something if folks are so upset they’re bringing up arguments about lectins and estrogens.

Reminds me of the arguments about lithium and cobalt as reasons not to support Tesla. Let’s not miss the forest for the trees folks. Pun intended. ;)
Ah crap! Cobalt? The Freaking Armpit of the Periodic Table? Noooooooo!

• Funny
Reactions: commasign
Here's the back-of-napkin math which is what makes me most excited about imitation/synthetic meats from a sustainability point of view (fair disclosure: I love eating cows, pigs, and chickens and will continue to so, but I understand it's not sustainable just as driving ICE cars and burning fossil fuels is not sustainable).

Driving 1 mile in a Model 3 LR vs a gas car saves 304g of CO2. So with the average 40 miles/day commute, one would save 12,160g of CO2 per day.
Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 12.30.26 PM.png

How Clean is Your Electric Vehicle?

Eating 1 Beyond Burger instead of a beef burger saves at least 3,300g of CO2. At 3 meals a day, one would save 9,900g of CO2. Of course no one eats 3 burgers a day (or do they????) but there are many more imitation/synthetic meats in the pipeline. Impossible now comes in a "ground beef" format which makes it suitable for spaghetti, tacos, etc.,. And there's a well reviewed tomato-based fake tuna called Ahimi. So in the near future, one could probably replace the animal protein with imitation/synthetic meats 3 meals/day.
Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 12.30.11 PM.png

http://css.umich.edu/sites/default/files/publication/CSS18-10.pdf
http://www.ift.org/~/media/Food Technology/Weekly/IF_SustainabilityReport2017.pdf

Keep in mind it's gonna be difficult to convince the masses to stop eating meat, just like you can't convince people to stop driving. So you gotta make the alternative more compelling (e.g. Tesla, e.g. Impossible Burger).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: abasile
one thing I never quite understood: if we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made of meat, then?

I do support PETA, though (people eating tasty animals).

Linux Works--

You're confused: your body is NOT designed to be eating the parts of murdered animals.

http://adaptt.org/archive/Mills The Comparative Anatomy of Eating1.pdf

You will be better served by learning why you think as you do; Dr. Joy's TEDx talk will help (second video below):

Home | BEYOND CARNISM

my teeth disagree with you. they like meat.

man grew as carnivores. I say just the opposite as you, that its NOT natural to go vegitarian if your body does not like it. personally, I don't love the taste of many veggies - you go with what your taste and body like and are used to.

you do you, I'll do me. I have no problem with your choice of food; you should not really tell others what they should and should not eat..

my teeth disagree with you. they like meat.

man grew as carnivores. I say just the opposite as you, that its NOT natural to go vegitarian if your body does not like it. personally, I don't love the taste of many veggies - you go with what your taste and body like and are used to.

you do you, I'll do me. I have no problem with your choice of food; you should not really tell others what they should and should not eat..

Linux,

First, perhaps reading isn't your strong suit. Let me post the relevant section for you from Dr. Mills's white paper (BTW, he is a Stanford Med School Graduate so it's pretty likely he's not a quack):

Human teeth are also similar to those found in other herbivores with the exception of the
canines (the canines of some of the apes are elongated and are thought to be used for
display and/or defense). Our teeth are rather large and usually abut against one another. The
incisors are flat and spade-like, useful for peeling, snipping and biting relatively soft
materials. The canines are neither serrated nor conical, but are flattened, blunt and small
and function Like incisors. The premolars and molars are squarish, flattened and nodular,
and used for crushing, grinding and pulping noncoarse foods.

Human saliva contains the carbohydrate-digesting enzyme, salivary amylase. This enzyme
is responsible for the majority of starch digestion. The esophagus is narrow and suited to
small, soft balls of thoroughly chewed food. Eating quickly, attempting to swallow a large
amount of food or swallowing fibrous and/or poorly chewed food (meat is the most
frequent culprit) often results in choking in humans.

Second, while I appreciate your efforts to deflect the issue, the reality is that, NO, you are NOT an island. Poor food choices not only hasten your personal demise, but also the demise of our entire planet:

The Amazon is burning because the world eats so much meat - CNN

It's distressing that the facts are what they are, but please realize that if wasn't for the abuse of every other species on the planet, both this thread, and the Coronavirus problem, would not be here. When presented with worldview-changing facts, mature, responsible adults change their worldviews.

Please do so.

Thank you.

Linux,

First, perhaps reading isn't your strong suit. Let me post the relevant section for you from Dr. Mills's white paper (BTW, he is a Stanford Med School Graduate so it's pretty likely he's not a quack):

Human teeth are also similar to those found in other herbivores with the exception of the
canines (the canines of some of the apes are elongated and are thought to be used for
display and/or defense). Our teeth are rather large and usually abut against one another. The
incisors are flat and spade-like, useful for peeling, snipping and biting relatively soft
materials. The canines are neither serrated nor conical, but are flattened, blunt and small
and function Like incisors. The premolars and molars are squarish, flattened and nodular,
and used for crushing, grinding and pulping noncoarse foods.

Human saliva contains the carbohydrate-digesting enzyme, salivary amylase. This enzyme
is responsible for the majority of starch digestion. The esophagus is narrow and suited to
small, soft balls of thoroughly chewed food. Eating quickly, attempting to swallow a large
amount of food or swallowing fibrous and/or poorly chewed food (meat is the most
frequent culprit) often results in choking in humans.

Second, while I appreciate your efforts to deflect the issue, the reality is that, NO, you are NOT an island. Poor food choices not only hasten your personal demise, but also the demise of our entire planet:

The Amazon is burning because the world eats so much meat - CNN

It's distressing that the facts are what they are, but please realize that if wasn't for the abuse of every other species on the planet, both this thread, and the Coronavirus problem, would not be here. When presented with worldview-changing facts, mature, responsible adults change their worldviews.

Please do so.

Thank you.

Take the holier-than-though vegetarian/vegan conversation elsewhere. This thread is about the coronavirus.