Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle coolant is low—can I replace myself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vehicle coolant warning came up. Called service center and they can't get me in until 12/30, and can't guarantee a loaner. Offered Uber vouchers, which is not going to work because... pandemic, for one, and because we live in Park City, UT, it's snowing, and I have a family to get around.

In addition, the warning is literally beeping every 2 minutes, which is driving me insane. Called Tesla and asked if they could turn it off. Nope.

I love my X, and loved my S before that, but Tesla service is terrible considering the price point. We bought a Range Rover Sport last year. Had an issue with the tailgate, and the dealer sent someone to our house to pick it up *and* leave us with a loaner. Then they brought it back up when the repair was finished. That's the kind of service I expect for a $100k vehicle.

So, my question: is this something I can replace myself, or does it have to be done by the service center?

Hi @badlydrawnboy,

You may add coolant BUT it is very sensitive to contamination...
If you foul it up it could cost a very expensive battery coolant flush...

Ask for mobile service...
It has to be going somewhere...

When I had a coolant leak - There were pinhole leaks in the coolant hoses
in the rear drive unit.
It did not appear there was any coolant on the floor of the garage.
When the rear aero panel was removed, a pint to a quart of pale blue coolant
spilled out onto the ground.
Then I knew I was in trouble.

They towed it to the service center and replaced the hoses...
All good now.

Good luck,

Shawn

Thanks for posting. My vehicle had the battery changed this past summer and over the past few months have had to add a gallon of coolant. No coolant message had displayed prior to the battery change. Have owned the vehicle since 2013.

Thanks for posting. My vehicle had the battery changed this past summer and over the past few months have had to add a gallon of coolant. No coolant message had displayed prior to the battery change. Have owned the vehicle since 2013.

If you've added coolant yourself, I *strongly* suggest having Tesla check out the cooling system. It's supposed to be a completely closed loop - very unlike a traditional gasoline car. If it's low, it's leaking somewhere. And could end somewhat catastrophically bad.