Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Coolant is Low - Contact Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my S (Dec 2017) has its first service yesterday as it was coming up to 12,500 miles. Apparently they don’t do drive unit fluid changes at the first service anymore even though their website states they do but I digress.

It was fine driving home after collecting the car (8 miles) and a round trip to work was fine as far as i know (130 miles) but I hop back into the car to go down the road and instantly get ‘Vehicle coolant is low, contact Tesla Service’. I then see a pool on the drive and sticky coolant on the valance under the front bumper.

So, apparently the first service is a visual inspection for coolant but coincidence is not in my vocabulary but are they going to try and charge for repair and loan car which I seriously need when I call them at 8am tomorrow or will warranty cover it all but will they screw me as I need a car tomorrow!!!

Anyone else had this? What was the outcome?

Reactions: SmartElectric
Called roadside assistance and they are collecting the car tomorrow morning. They were going to sort a hire car but it wouldn’t be here in time so had to skip that bit but at least they will hopefully collect and get it sorted while I’m away.

What's the story with the drive fluid? They didn't use to do it on 1st service and then they did and now they don't is that correct?

I think it was a reaction to the problem with bearing failures, ultimately resolved by design changes.

Whether the oil change was actually beneficial (and thus cars of that vintage that missed out have a problem in store), or whether it was a failed experiment it is hard to know.

So the issue turned out to be a foreign object that had split the radiator hence the leak. No idea what the foreign object was/is or even how but the 130mile round trip I guess flipped something up. Trying to remember if I heard anything and something is telling me I dis hear a clunk on the way home so perhaps it was whatever that was unless I am imagining it :)

Unfortunately not covered under warranty so will be about £600 all in but should be able to get it sorted by Monday which is pretty good turnaround for a non stocked part.