Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle display and actual position of vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model 3, AWD, FSD, HW3, 2020.48.10

Last night I noticed when passing a vehicle, I was almost completely pass them and yet the display shows them still in front of vehicle or even with me. I normally haven’t paid attention to the screen, but last night I noticed all the vehicles were significantly off. I also had issue with previous releases and pedestrian avoidance. I would be past the individual before the vehicle did an emergency brake. They were walking to get their garbage cans by the curb, or walking to their car. The car emergency braked, no real reason too but that’s another story, yet I was already passed them. A year or so ago, the pedestrian avoidance worked early, now it is after the fact.

So my question to my esteemed fellow Tesla owners, have you noticed this behavior, or is it a camera calibration issue or something else?

As far as I can tell, this is normal.

Visualisations have about a one delay from what I can roughly tell (count out one second in your head, it's a pretty long delay for things moving as fast as vehicles do). I would say traffic aware cruise control also does (e.g. it normally react to someone turning left long after they have completed crossing in front of me). Many people have reported the same in the past.

I know that's not a response that makes you feel good probably, but that's the way it is. They've definitely passed some tests for emergency braking and such, so it's either sufficient in those cases or there's a way for it to react faster than normal in emergencies.

Makes sense you wouldn’t have noticed this before, since you would be looking at the road, not the screen visualization of it. I think that, as long as the car isn’t believing what you are seeing and hitting people, it’s okay. Better to have a lag in the screen then in the car’s reaction time. :)