Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Display System (VDS) touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla_img_2b.jpg

Does anyone know if they helped design the existing Roadster VDS screens or are they going to improve them?
The former.

HYDRANT Work: Tesla Motors roadster touchscreen interface design
Tesla Motors needed help designing the user interface for their Vehicle Information System, a touch-screen interface built into the dashboard of their pioneering sports car. The Tesla Roadster is a first-of-its-kind, all-electric luxury sports car. Build on the chassis of a Lotus Elise, this battery-powered bullet goes from 0 to 60 in less than 4 seconds. Set in the dashboard, a touchscreen panel helps drivers understand the performance of the car, provides status updates, and gives them control of various electronic functions. HYDRANT's design for the user-interface of this screen elegantly dealt with a number of important challenges: from the small size of the screen, to the need to be able to access key functions with high accuracy at the minimal level of attention that can be spared when traveling at 140 miles per hour.

Looks to be the same colors as the HYDRANT display.
I don't know. To my eye, the Roadster LCD doesn't seem to have any shades of colors or anti-aliasing - certainly not photo-realistic. The HYDRANT seems to have multiple shades of each color, anti-aliased curves, and basically way more color resolution.

I was asking whether it's a 6-bit color, 8-bit color, 15-bit color, 16-bit color, 24-bit color, or what. There are many LCD technologies available, and the Roadster may not have something that can show the Photoshop style from HYDRANT.

I was asking whether it's a 6-bit color, 8-bit color, 15-bit color, 16-bit color, 24-bit color, or what. There are many LCD technologies available, and the Roadster may not have something that can show the Photoshop style from HYDRANT.

12 bit direct color. Qvga 320x240. But most of the images are predominately 3 bit color. The extra bits are used to create the rececessed domed buttons.

Last edited: