Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle fraudulently transferred out of account without permission

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP's car insurance agent might be a good resource in how to handle this case, documentation, and attorney referral.
This is as wild a situation I have ever heard. Scares the daylight out of me as how Tesla can be so easily fooled as they don't verify the authenticity of the documents with either DMV or the original owner. I think the suggestion to get the insurance company involved may be a good idea.. If the car has a loan then get the financing company/Lien holder involved. Both Insurance and Financing companies have an army of lawyers to take this up . Hope this helps...

Tesla has direct access to DMV records through the state computers, just like any car dealer. They can issue temporary registration with that system.

They should be able to log on and verify current ownership.

I struggle to understand how they would accept a Bill of Sale to transfer ownership. They need evidence of completed title transfer, verified through the State DMV.

You should be able to make them look you up on the spot in the State DMV system, and verify that there is no pending transfer, and fix it.

I do hope that the OP gets this worked out.
Plus he might want to consider setting a PIN to drive if someone else has access to his vehicle. Unsure if even a PIN to drive can be bypassed with social engineering, but...

For the rest of us. If this is a new nefarious scam is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening? Is there going to be any notification before the vehicle is gone from the app?

Thoughts?

Reactions: Synthax
Am I wrong, but doesn’t the app/account require the current owner to initiate an ownership transfer. I don’t understand how Tesla accepted a new Bill of Sale without the current owner initiating the transfer.
don't think so... bad example but what if the owner is deceased? how would they initiate it...
plus im sure many owners forget to do that..
what u might be thinking of is the option Tesla added not too long ago to add next owners email when removing a car so the transfer process is quick n easy.

Last edited:
bad example but what if the owner is deceased?

This is a good point. The situation in which the owner is deceased. The car is sold to a used car dealership by just exchanging the title (the dealership is not aware of the app transfer process or simply does not care). The dealership sells the car to a new buyer. What is this new owner supposed to do? Looks like the new owner would approach Tesla for transfer exactly as the impostor in this case has done. The process (loophole) seems to exist and can be abused.

Am I not correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: brainhouston
In the app, it's possible for either the buyer or seller to transfer ownership.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221021-121058_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221021-121058_Tesla.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 147
Except the impostor in this case did not have access to the OP's car.
I was just pointing out that if a person legitimately buys a vehicle from a dealer, they should have no problem transferring ownership. They should be able to use the app and provide the necessary documents and be able to take ownership without (m)any problems. A legitimate new buyer would have access to the car and be able to perform the step to change the vehicle name.

I was just pointing out that if a person legitimately buys a vehicle from a dealer, they should have no problem transferring ownership. They should be able to use the app and provide the necessary documents and be able to take ownership without (m)any problems. A legitimate new buyer would have access to the car and be able to perform the step to change the vehicle name.

Sorry it wasn't clear to me that you were just validating my hypothesis.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker