Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle fraudulently transferred out of account without permission

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for the hyperbolic title, but it's essentially what this post is about.

Some of you may remember me as the one who exposed Tesla's hidden DC Fast Charging scandal where they would limit charging rates on batteries after a set number of DC Fast Charges. See If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

Well, I'm back with another completely ridiculous and utterly sociopathic move by Tesla that puts every Tesla at risk from theft, tracking/stalking, or general havoc and mayhem.

I would like to preface this episode with the fact that I have tried to work with Tesla on this for about a week prior to posting this publically, but they don't even acknowledge it's a problem, much less show any interest in fixing it. They have stopped responding to me, so here I am, posting this publicly. So read on if you want to steal Elon Musks Cybertruck.

Last week I received a mysterious email from Tesla with the title "Remove Vehicle Request has been received." The content of the email was basic, it had my VIN, stock picture of my car, and the text "Model S will be removed from your Tesla app and Tesla Account in a few hours. Any active subscriptions will be cancelled (sic), any referral history will be removed."

I received this email at 17:45. I was concerned with this to say the least... I checked my app and sure enough one of my Teslas was missing from the app. They didn't even give me 10 minutes to contact them before removing it, much less "A few hours." No one ever contacted me to authorize this transfer. They just did it out of the blue. So I t tried to contact Tesla immediately. Well, I think we all know that it's difficult to actually talk to anyone at Tesla. I spent almost an hour and a half on the phone being transferred around from idiot to idiot (This was after I slogged my way through literally every option in the automated tree), and was finally told I need to email [email protected] and they'd get back to me.

Well, I did, and it took them 3 days to respond to me. During that time, I contacted my local service center and they said they have nothing to do with that and they can't help me. I tried calling everyone I could, but got nowhere.

I finally got an email back from customer support, which requested the following:

I sent them all the required documents as outlined above.

A day later, I received this:

Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed off at this point. As I already sent them a perfectly legible color copy of my title. Not only that, however, I sent the registration. According to their request, it's a copy of the title OR the registration and I sent them both, so even if the copy of the title was not legible (it was), they had the registration. I sent them yet ANOTHER photo of my title in full 48MP resolution.

Another day passes and I get this back from the idiots at Tesla:

I contacted my DMV. They said they don't see any requests for a retitling of the vehicle or for a new registration and the vehicle is registered to my name like it has been since I purchased it and there's nothing wrong with my ownership of the vehicle and there has been no change. No crime has been committed according to the police, so there's nothing to report, since the vehicle isn't actually stolen and it's a civil matter between myself and Tesla. I had recently requested a printed title (The state has screwed up on one of my other Teslas and took a lien off a car I had sold instead of the lien off this car, so I needed a new title printed. I had the new title issued on the 26 Aug 22, less than two weeks prior to this incident, so the title was FRESH). There was and is no "investigation" that the DMV or police can perform since there is no problem with the vehicle. I inform Tesla of this.

Another day passes and the smooth brains at Tesla respond with this mind-numbing stupidity:

Note how they've stopped signing their name to this complete miscarriage of justice. But I digress... So to put the car back in my name, they need a more current document than a freshly issued title and registration. Remember, my current title was issued less than two weeks ago. How much more current can it be? I don't know what documents I can provide beyond that. I asked them as much, but they have yet to answer what documents would be sufficient. Getting desperate, I decided that since they clearly accept forged Bills of Sale, I would just send them a new Bill of Sale in my name, which I did. They did not even acknowledge it.

I asked them who the other party was, but they refuse to give me any information on the party that supposedly owns my vehicle. So I have no way to contact anyone/that person. Tesla will not change the vehicle back, even though I clearly own it. It's not on my account, and I have to turn off mobile access because otherwise this anonymous individual can locate and steal things from my car or steal the whole car at any time. They can screw with me via opening windows/trunk turning on air conditioning/heater, etc... and I have NO recourse whatsoever.

I've given them since last Friday to respond, and they've gone radio silent. I can't get anyone to respond to me.

So, to you folks, I give you this gift. If you'd like to have a free Tesla, just make up a fake bill of sale and submit it to Tesla to have it transferred to your newly minted account. They will do it no questions asked. You now have access to this Tesla and you can unlock it and drive away with it. The owner can't track it, access it, nor will Tesla even tell the real owner WHO you are or where the vehicle is. You will not be able to get your vehicle back on your Tesla account, because it seems the last person to submit a fake bill of sale is now the legitimate owner as far as Tesla is concerned.

They will, though, empathize the hell out of your plight. I don't know what that's worth, but that's all you'll get.
just send this story to the news. I live in bc canada but our national news has a special division called "consumer matters" that specifically reports stories like this for fraud and mistreatment by companies like airlines, garages etc.....they allocate a certain part of the national tv news cast for this. It would be solved overnight literally

Apologies for the hyperbolic title, but it's essentially what this post is about.

Some of you may remember me as the one who exposed Tesla's hidden DC Fast Charging scandal where they would limit charging rates on batteries after a set number of DC Fast Charges. See If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

Well, I'm back with another completely ridiculous and utterly sociopathic move by Tesla that puts every Tesla at risk from theft, tracking/stalking, or general havoc and mayhem.

I would like to preface this episode with the fact that I have tried to work with Tesla on this for about a week prior to posting this publically, but they don't even acknowledge it's a problem, much less show any interest in fixing it. They have stopped responding to me, so here I am, posting this publicly. So read on if you want to steal Elon Musks Cybertruck.

Last week I received a mysterious email from Tesla with the title "Remove Vehicle Request has been received." The content of the email was basic, it had my VIN, stock picture of my car, and the text "Model S will be removed from your Tesla app and Tesla Account in a few hours. Any active subscriptions will be cancelled (sic), any referral history will be removed."

I received this email at 17:45. I was concerned with this to say the least... I checked my app and sure enough one of my Teslas was missing from the app. They didn't even give me 10 minutes to contact them before removing it, much less "A few hours." No one ever contacted me to authorize this transfer. They just did it out of the blue. So I t tried to contact Tesla immediately. Well, I think we all know that it's difficult to actually talk to anyone at Tesla. I spent almost an hour and a half on the phone being transferred around from idiot to idiot (This was after I slogged my way through literally every option in the automated tree), and was finally told I need to email [email protected] and they'd get back to me.

Well, I did, and it took them 3 days to respond to me. During that time, I contacted my local service center and they said they have nothing to do with that and they can't help me. I tried calling everyone I could, but got nowhere.

I finally got an email back from customer support, which requested the following:

Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed off at this point. As I already sent them a perfectly legible color copy of my title. Not only that, however, I sent the registration. According to their request, it's a copy of the title OR the registration and I sent them both, so even if the copy of the title was not legible (it was), they had the registration. I sent them yet ANOTHER photo of my title in full 48MP resolution.

I contacted my DMV. They said they don't see any requests for a retitling of the vehicle or for a new registration and the vehicle is registered to my name like it has been since I purchased it and there's nothing wrong with my ownership of the vehicle and there has been no change. No crime has been committed according to the police, so there's nothing to report, since the vehicle isn't actually stolen and it's a civil matter between myself and Tesla. I had recently requested a printed title (The state has screwed up on one of my other Teslas and took a lien off a car I had sold instead of the lien off this car, so I needed a new title printed. I had the new title issued on the 26 Aug 22, less than two weeks prior to this incident, so the title was FRESH). There was and is no "investigation" that the DMV or police can perform since there is no problem with the vehicle. I inform Tesla of this.

Another day passes and the smooth brains at Tesla respond with this mind-numbing stupidity:

Note how they've stopped signing their name to this complete miscarriage of justice. But I digress... So to put the car back in my name, they need a more current document than a freshly issued title and registration. Remember, my current title was issued less than two weeks ago. How much more current can it be? I don't know what documents I can provide beyond that. I asked them as much, but they have yet to answer what documents would be sufficient. Getting desperate, I decided that since they clearly accept forged Bills of Sale, I would just send them a new Bill of Sale in my name, which I did. They did not even acknowledge it.

I asked them who the other party was, but they refuse to give me any information on the party that supposedly owns my vehicle. So I have no way to contact anyone/that person. Tesla will not change the vehicle back, even though I clearly own it. It's not on my account, and I have to turn off mobile access because otherwise this anonymous individual can locate and steal things from my car or steal the whole car at any time. They can screw with me via opening windows/trunk turning on air conditioning/heater, etc... and I have NO recourse whatsoever.

I've given them since last Friday to respond, and they've gone radio silent. I can't get anyone to respond to me.

So, to you folks, I give you this gift. If you'd like to have a free Tesla, just make up a fake bill of sale and submit it to Tesla to have it transferred to your newly minted account. They will do it no questions asked. You now have access to this Tesla and you can unlock it and drive away with it. The owner can't track it, access it, nor will Tesla even tell the real owner WHO you are or where the vehicle is. You will not be able to get your vehicle back on your Tesla account, because it seems the last person to submit a fake bill of sale is now the legitimate owner as far as Tesla is concerned.

They will, though, empathize the hell out of your plight. I don't know what that's worth, but that's all you'll get.
Call the local news. This is ratings gold to them

So i just registered the car n added to Tesla account via app.
First thing it asked is to rename a car, then upload docs.
App said it will take 3-5days...
I uploaded license/registration and literally 5min later car was added.
Pretty sure Tesla automated everything at least for official docs.

This does seem like what OP is saying is possible in theory if u gain access to the car for few min.
If someone leaves a car unlocked (does renaming work in locked car?) or 'borrow' the key for few min, owner wouldn't even know...
I guess there's also possibility of cloning the key, not sure if its possible tho...

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
This is a good point. The situation in which the owner is deceased. The car is sold to a used car dealership by just exchanging the title (the dealership is not aware of the app transfer process or simply does not care). The dealership sells the car to a new buyer. What is this new owner supposed to do? Looks like the new owner would approach Tesla for transfer exactly as the impostor in this case has done. The process (loophole) seems to exist and can be abused.

Am I not correct?

Whether the previous owner is deceased or not, the new owner should be able to produce a title. My understanding is that in the OP’s case Tesla accepted a “bill of sale” instead of a title. That seems wild to me.

Reactions: Droschke
So i just registered the car n added to Tesla account via app.
First thing it asked is to rename a car, then upload docs.
App said it will take 3-5days...
I uploaded license/registration and literally 5min later car was added.
Pretty sure Tesla automated everything at least for official docs.

This does seem like what OP is saying is possible in theory if u gain access to the car for few min.
If someone leaves a car unlocked (does renaming work in locked car?) or 'borrow' the key for few min, owner wouldn't even know...
I guess there's also possibility of cloning the key, not sure if its possible tho...

Did the seller have to do anything before you went through your steps?

I'm guessing that Tesla legal finally got involved and the cone of silence has been activated.
Or maybe Elon called a friend at the attorney general's office, and @Naonak is now serving time for creating a fake bill of sale (or for not paying taxes on that fake sale). Or, perhaps a caravan of 3 black Model X's with blacked out windows came to his house, guys with in black suits wearing sunglasses and sporting not-a-flame-throwers emerged from the X's and took him to some Boring test tunnel, after which he's not been seen or heard of since. ;)

Or maybe Elon called a friend at the attorney general's office, and @Naonak is now serving time for creating a fake bill of sale (or for not paying taxes on that fake sale). Or, perhaps a caravan of 3 black Model X's with blacked out windows came to his house, guys with in black suits wearing sunglasses and sporting not-a-flame-throwers emerged from the X's and took him to some Boring test tunnel, after which he's not been seen or heard of since. ;)

Considering how Elon has been doing everything in his power to look and act like a Bond villain.... This is plausible.

Wow--so weird. Sounds like you have tried everything. Hate to suggest it--but maybe a lawyer could help.

Bruh—

1666985937278.png