Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle fraudulently transferred out of account without permission

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And how does that make it worse? They won't transfer it, so I'm in the same situation either way. It did not make anything worse and exposes the hypocrisy.
Put yourself on the other end...especially knowing the incompetency there...They get the "previous owner" stating that the bill of sale is fake and then sends a fake bill of sale. It was a dumb move...I'm not sure if there's a way to spin it, especially if they collect everything for law enforcement.

You made a fake bill of sale in an attempt to override the other fake bill of sale? (rhetorical, fwiw...Just pointing out how crazy of a counter that was)

But it's not a fake bill of sale. I own the vehicle. I sold it to myself.

I have the title and registration. What more can I provide, except a bill of sale at that point, that supercedes the other bill of sale?
It reminds me of stories where people get receive bills and get sent to collections over a balance of $0.00. It's just easier to send the $0 check than to use logic. I hope it works for you.

Reactions: Synthax
When my screen went blank, and was replaced under recall, I paid out of pocket. It took over two years at least 50 separate attempts to get my $1700 refund. Nothing about your horrible ordeal surprises me.

Second, I'd join Tesla's bug bounty program found here. Tell them you've discovered a bug in their system which helps you easily steal only Tesla's. 😉. Might as well get paid for your trouble.

This is a great idea... and it might actually be the best way to escalate your specific situation to someone who's able to resolve it.

AND you *might* even get paid for it.

Really? It seems like an odd step after they say "The problem is we have two people claiming the vehicle is theirs and this new person claiming the vehicle is theirs has provided a more current bill of sale."

They are clearly and unequivocally saying a more current bill of sale is enough to transfer the vehicle. So sending a more current bill of sale seems odd to you? Wow.

Let's not forgot one of them has a current registration and title as well, which was already provided.

Possession is 9/10 of the law. I remember hearing that somewhere.....:)

Not looking at the process of how this happened (though I am curious if @Naonak can verify if the car name ever changed as the ownership transfer supposedly requires), but more the fallout of the vehicle no longer being on the original owner's Tesla account.

Is an owner required to have a Tesla account the vehicle is tied to? What is Tesla legally required to provide, if pressed (i.e. a civil suit being brought related to the titled owner being denied access to the vehicle on the Tesla account)? Some of the issues I'm thinking of...
-If under warranty, can warranty service still be requested/performed?
-For non-warranty items, can service be requested/performed? I am presuming "prior" service history is not available to the "new" owner...can the "previous" owner still see the prior service history?
-Presumably Naonak has disabled mobile access via the main screen to prevent theft via mobile app. Can Tesla remotely re-engage mobile app access if the "new" owner requests it?
-Supercharging/idling costs being tied to a Tesla account, would Tesla allow/disable Supercharging on a vehicle not tied to an account?
-What are the terms/conditions/agreements for Mobile App access? I'm presuming this has always been a "we are pleased to offer" but not "the owner is guaranteed access".

Reactions: Droschke
I suggest you contact an attorney. Attorney should be able to write a letter telling Tesla to fix this or face civil suit. May cost you $500 to get the letter written. Attorney letterhead has a way of getting action and offering credibility to you. Attorney should be able to attest to the validity of your claims. That should be enough to get this escalated to someone at Tesla that will work with you to get this resolved. If not, it sounds like you will need to initiate a civil case to motivate Tesla to straighten this out.

I suggest you contact an attorney. Attorney should be able to write a letter telling Tesla to fix this or face civil suit. May cost you $500 to get the letter written. Attorney letterhead has a way of getting action and offering credibility to you. Attorney should be able to attest to the validity of your claims. That should be enough to get this escalated to someone at Tesla that will work with you to get this resolved. If not, it sounds like you will need to initiate a civil case to motivate Tesla to straighten this out.
The reason I brought up my questions - should an owner go down this attorney route, it wouldn't surprise me in the least for Tesla's response to be "thanks for the letter, to resolve the situation we've removed the ability for the VIN in question to be part of any Tesla account, have permanently disabled Supercharging, have permanently disabled mobile app access, have a nice day."

I still suggest an attorney. Your concerns are real. Once you send a letter and Tesla retaliates, I think it strengthens your case for damages. You should at least be able to review your concerns with an attorney before you take action. That might be able to be done as part of your interview of attorney that should be free.

Reactions: Synthax and DrGriz
The reason I brought up my questions - should an owner go down this attorney route, it wouldn't surprise me in the least for Tesla's response to be "thanks for the letter, to resolve the situation we've removed the ability for the VIN in question to be part of any Tesla account, have permanently disabled Supercharging, have permanently disabled mobile app access, have a nice day."
For all intents and purpose you are in this situation already. You cant supercharge, you don't have mobile access and you probably cant schedule service.

... and you probably cant sell the car...

Reactions: Synthax and DrGriz
For all intents and purpose you are in this situation already. You cant supercharge, you don't have mobile access and you probably cant schedule service.

... and you probably cant sell the car...
I agree and I don't think that Tesla would tell the OP to pound sand and lock up his car because he sent a legitimate letter from his attorney. Effectively, they are stealing his car if they do. It just needs to go to the right department. That's an attorney's job. To map that out.