Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Hold Fail? Software bug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure vehicle hold works when driving in reverse after immediately restarting. This seems like a safety issue/serious bug.

I parked in a steep parking lot. When I returned to the car, I stepped on brake, and shifted into R to back out of space. But when my foot left the brake to move to the accelerator, the car let go and started to roll forward--yipes!

Thoughts or similar experiences?

Just for clearing up the obvious things first.

Vehicle hold or hill hold is "manual" operated by pressing a bit harder on the brake when stationary. It won't automatically engage when the car is on a slope.
So you are sure there was a (H) on the display before you moved the foot from the brake?

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
I am not certain there was an H--the whole thing was a surprise. But I cannot remember ever not having an H after stepping on the brake, so I believe my normal step is sufficient to engage Vehicle Hold
The amount of pressure required to enable hill hold seems to vary. In my S90D, if I just use 'normal' brake pressure, it won't enable hill hold. I have to intentionally push a little harder on the pedal to turn it on. I had a P85D loaner in February and it seemed to enable hill hold every time I touched the brake pedal.

I am not certain there was an H--the whole thing was a surprise. But I cannot remember ever not having an H after stepping on the brake, so I believe my normal step is sufficient to engage Vehicle Hold

It may vary a bit from car to car and driver to driver then. I need to give the brakes an extra push in order to engage it, I don't think I can ever remember it has engaged otherwise.