TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vehicle Hold Fail? Software bug?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by PeterHG, Aug 6, 2017.

1. PeterHG

PeterHG Member

I'm not sure vehicle hold works when driving in reverse after immediately restarting. This seems like a safety issue/serious bug.

I parked in a steep parking lot. When I returned to the car, I stepped on brake, and shifted into R to back out of space. But when my foot left the brake to move to the accelerator, the car let go and started to roll forward--yipes!

Thoughts or similar experiences?

2. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

#2 Veritas1980, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Just for clearing up the obvious things first.

Vehicle hold or hill hold is "manual" operated by pressing a bit harder on the brake when stationary. It won't automatically engage when the car is on a slope.
    So you are sure there was a (H) on the display before you moved the foot from the brake?

• Like x 1
  3. PeterHG

PeterHG Member

I am not certain there was an H--the whole thing was a surprise. But I cannot remember ever not having an H after stepping on the brake, so I believe my normal step is sufficient to engage Vehicle Hold

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.26

The amount of pressure required to enable hill hold seems to vary. In my S90D, if I just use 'normal' brake pressure, it won't enable hill hold. I have to intentionally push a little harder on the pedal to turn it on. I had a P85D loaner in February and it seemed to enable hill hold every time I touched the brake pedal.

5. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

It may vary a bit from car to car and driver to driver then. I need to give the brakes an extra push in order to engage it, I don't think I can ever remember it has engaged otherwise.