Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Hold puzzles me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the 7.0 download there appear to be no settings for hill hold (or what's now called Vehicle Hold). The manual states this:

Vehicle hold.jpg

I never see the small icon on my dash, I can't find any Vehicle Hold or Hill Hold settings in the touchscreen controls, but hill hold functions as it always has.

Am I missing something? Or does Vehicle Hold only apply to newer cars?

With the 7.0 download there appear to be no settings for hill hold (or what's now called Vehicle Hold). The manual states this:

View attachment 99369

I never see the small icon on my dash, I can'f find any Vehicle Hold or Hill Hold settings in the touchscreen controls, but hill hold functions as it always has.

Am I missing something? Or does Vehicle Hold only apply to newer cars?

Just newer cars :)

I used it on my brother's car. It basically kicks in whenever you push on the brakes and holds you there until you push the accelerator or push hard on the brakes. It's very similar to hill hold and I have no idea why we can't have it as well...

I'm surprised that it doesn't work. How old is your car Artsci? It takes a fairly good push after coming to a complete stop to actuate. The icon is in the upper right. It's very convenient. Did you lose hill hold? I actually haven't even noticed if I still have that feature. I do have the Bosch iBooster brakes.

Yup, only works as stated in the Op with AP-capable cars. Otherwise, 6.2's behavior remained. They didn't even extend 6.2's behavior to all inclines. Meanwhile, while my 2006 Toyota doesn't activate on all hills, it does engage indefinitely. A shame my 2013 can't do almost as good as a 2015.

Yup, only works as stated in the Op with AP-capable cars. Otherwise, 6.2's behavior remained. They didn't even extend 6.2's behavior to all inclines. Meanwhile, while my 2006 Toyota doesn't activate on all hills, it does engage indefinitely. A shame my 2013 can't do almost as good as a 2015.

P85D - Electric Mechanical Braking System

I'm confused what you are trying to tell me. I am aware the enhanced hill hold by Tesla is only available on cars with the new iBooster as detailed in the thread you noted, hence my first sense that it is only available for AP-capable vehicles. Could you please clarify? Thanks.

Yep, that is correct, with iBooster, and the link is to allow you examine how it works ;)

Yep, that is correct, with iBooster, and the link is to allow you examine how it works ;)

Ahh. A link to learn more about the system. Gotcha. Yeah, I get how the system works, I just know that other manufacturers have been able to get it to work with older hydraulic systems, so maybe someday Tesla will find a solution or at least make it engage all the time rather than at seemingly random inclines.

Ahh. A link to learn more about the system. Gotcha. Yeah, I get how the system works, I just know that other manufacturers have been able to get it to work with older hydraulic systems, so maybe someday Tesla will find a solution or at least make it engage all the time rather than at seemingly random inclines.

So yours or others are not engaging all the time on any slope with iBooster? Sorry if I missed that detail...

So yours or others are not engaging all the time on any slope with iBooster? Sorry if I missed that detail...

My classic without the iBooster only engages hill hold for two seconds on some hills with an unspecified slope. While I would like it if these cars could hold like the newer cars from Tesla and older cars from other makes, I would be happy if it would just engage on all slopes. It's an enigma to determine if it will engage or not (and we also don't get the icon on the dash when it does).

My classic without the iBooster only engages hill hold for two seconds on some hills with an unspecified slope. While I would like it if these cars could hold like the newer cars from Tesla and older cars from other makes, I would be happy if it would just engage on all slopes. It's an enigma to determine if it will engage or not (and we also don't get the icon on the dash when it does).

Ah, I'm in the same boat (non-iBooster) and my behavior is that it will hold on higher incline slopes all the time **IF** the slope is enough to cause the car to roll back when changing from brake to throttle quickly. In other words, it is tuned to higher slopes where hold is necessary to not roll back and seems to be triggered by a stronger push of the brake while stopped. YMMV

I find it always engages in very strong slopes, but medium and slight ones, it is hit or miss. I can only think my original stop played some sort of role. There are hills around me that it won't regularly engage on and then weaker ones where it will. Not that I generally need to rely on it, but it does annoy the heck out of me.

I find it always engages in very strong slopes, but medium and slight ones, it is hit or miss. I can only think my original stop played some sort of role. There are hills around me that it won't regularly engage on and then weaker ones where it will. Not that I generally need to rely on it, but it does annoy the heck out of me.

I find the same thing and it's frustrating because most of the inclines I happen to stop on are all right on the "hit or miss" threshold. I have found if I stop and the car starts to roll back, if I "jab" the brakes causing the car to lurch a bit, Hill Hold will sometimes catch. I believe it uses the cars acellerometer to gauge the slope it's sitting on. I don't care about the 2 second limit (that's plenty) but wish they would change the algorithm such that it engages every time... like the cars with the newer braking system.

I'm surprised that it doesn't work. How old is your car Artsci? It takes a fairly good push after coming to a complete stop to actuate. The icon is in the upper right. It's very convenient. Did you lose hill hold? I actually haven't even noticed if I still have that feature. I do have the Bosch iBooster brakes.

Mine's 2103 P85, vin 8950. Hill hold still works with 7.0, with the same inconsistencies noted in other posts, but I have none of the other features of Vehicle Hold.