Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have under 3k on car. Purchased car in August of 2022. Just charged to 100% for the first time and the range states 353. Supposed to be 358, I know not much but when you pay this kind of money you want every mile. What do I do?
For your own sanity, you accept that the range is just an estimate - just like every other car regardless of propulsion - and don't worry about it.

Upvote 0
What do I do?
You can start, by spot reading through this 275+ page thread on this exact topic.

TL ; DR "The number is an estimate, it can and will change over time, it has no real bearing on how far you can actually go in your vehicle without a charge, and focusing on that number will be an exercise in frustration"

For more than that, feel free to peruse through the thread above.

Upvote 1
Yeah, that number isn't what you think it is. It's estimated, so it could be that your driving style and speed use more energy than the EPA estimate of 358 miles did.

Using climate controls makes a difference too. Last time I checked, we all use the same "kind" of money. There are many, many posts that discuss maximizing range and conserving energy, as well as tips for minimizing battery degradation if you really want to learn about it. I second what @Scelto says - just enjoy the car.

Your car also has a battery management system whose job it is to estimate the remaining energy within the battery... and it needs the right data to do its job. So sometimes your estimates can be off just because of your charging habits. Once again, if you really want to take the time to understand it, these forums provide *lots* of information.

Most drivers of ICE vehicles also don't get the estimated MPG listed on the Monroney sticker, but they don't have a screen that tells them the % of fuel remaining or their MPG, so they don't even know.

You *can* achieve the EPA estimated mileage or even better, but that estimate is given under specific circumstances (speed, elevation, climate controls, etc).

Upvote 0
The miles shown at the top of the screen is the estimate based on EPA economy for the remaining battery capacity. If charged to 100%, it is the battery capacity from the BMS estimate.

Obviously, your actual economy may vary. EV batteries do lose some capacity over time, as mentioned in the thread linked previously.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Upvote 0
I have under 3k on car. Purchased car in August of 2022. Just charged to 100% for the first time and the range states 353. Supposed to be 358, I know not much but when you pay this kind of money you want every mile. What do I do?
Holy carp..... did you notice when your last ICE car had 1.4 percent less range than it was rated for? That's a headwind, a hill, 1mph over the speed at which the rating was defined.....

Just wait another year or two and your range will drop by THIRTY miles, and there STILL won't be anything to do about it.

Upvote 0
Holy carp..... did you notice when your last ICE car had 1.4 percent less range than it was rated for? That's a headwind, a hill, 1mph over the speed at which the rating was defined.....

Just wait another year or two and your range will drop by THIRTY miles, and there STILL won't be anything to do about it.
I often wonder if people who worry a lot about what number the car says at 100% were that vigilant about an ICE car. I know some people had notebooks for number of gallons bought and number of miles driven between fueling stops. Is this concern just a personality type?

Upvote 0
Rarely does anyone get the listed range at 100%. Mine was M3P was listed at 310, best I ever saw was 306. You probably won't like the average %5 drop in range the first year either. My 18 with 46k lost about %10 range with 274 showing at 100%.

Upvote 0
I often wonder if people who worry a lot about what number the car says at 100% were that vigilant about an ICE car. I know some people had notebooks for number of gallons bought and number of miles driven between fueling stops. Is this concern just a personality type?

Having seen literally several hundred posts that say the same thing the OP is saying (and this number is likely not an exaggeration), I am convinced that:

1. People post about this because the car is "different" than their last one, and they are stressed about "the battery"

2. They dont have any real idea that the number on the screen doesnt really show how far they can actually go, and dont seem to care that for normal use that number means nothing (when your commute is 60 miles each way to work and back, whether the number says 358 or 353 doesnt matter).

3. The thought process seems to be "lemme pop on the internet and ask this question" vs " Let me pop on the internet and find the answer to this question". What I mean is, some variation of this question / concern is asked somewhere on TMC probably 4-6 times per day, every day, 7 days a week, and has been since I joined this website, yet it is very rare for someone new to find one of those threads and post in it.

When you create a new thread, the site asks "is this already being discussed?" with thread suggestions. Im not sure why people create new ones, other than "I dont have time to read all that, ill just pop on here and create a new thread...." /shrug

Upvote 0
When you create a new thread, the site asks "is this already being discussed?" with thread suggestions. Im not sure why people create new ones, other than "I dont have time to read all that, ill just pop on here and create a new thread...." /shrug
Or, my post must be different than all of those.

We see daily posts on our Tesla Group forum as well. I constantly recommend to change it to percentage and forget about it. Their gas car never got what it said it would do either.

Upvote 0
Or, my post must be different than all of those.

We see daily posts on our Tesla Group forum as well. I constantly recommend to change it to percentage and forget about it. Their gas car never got what it said it would do either.

Yeah I am positive this isnt a "TMC" thing.

I am also sure there will be people who read my last post and think its being too harsh, or unwelcoming, and let me say that is not the intention. I was simply pointing out what I see, and did not have any intention to be rude or anything, although I acknowledge that there will be people who see it as unwelcoming.

I used to put all these posts in one thread, so that:

1. When people ask "does anyone else see this?" they would see that yes, actually a lot of other people see this.
2. It could be searched and read if desired, to get as much information about the subject as one wanted.
3. People who take the time to answer these questions would have one thread to answer in, not several
4. People who were not interested in the topic would not see it overtake the subforum its posted in.

But after a couple of years of moving 4-6 posts a day into that thread (which is likely one reason mods in other subforums dont do it), I decided to let these all stand on their own.

Upvote 0
Yeah I am positive this isnt a "TMC" thing.

I am also sure there will be people who read my last post and think its being too harsh, or unwelcoming, and let me say that is not the intention. I was simply pointing out what I see, and did not have any intention to be rude or anything, although I acknowledge that there will be people who see it as unwelcoming.

I used to put all these posts in one thread, so that:

1. When people ask "does anyone else see this?" they would see that yes, actually a lot of other people see this.
2. It could be searched and read if desired, to get as much information about the subject as one wanted.
3. People who take the time to answer these questions would have one thread to answer in, not several
4. People who were not interested in the topic would not see it overtake the subforum its posted in.

But after a couple of years of moving 4-6 posts a day into that thread (which is likely one reason mods in other subforums dont do it), I decided to let these all stand on their own.
Yeah, I also have been watching it for years. Never made sense to me. But, I am very nerdy and love digging into the details of how things work... Five year old me took apart the Nintendo.

Upvote 0
By defaulting to "miles", instead of percentage, Tesla sort of invites the range anxiety that generates these posts. We can switch to percentage, and most of us do, but I suspect a virtual gauge, broken down into "quarter tanks" as the main presentation of available charge would really cut down on the anxiety and worry. It's something most drivers are used to, and the newbies would find it familiar.

Of course, because there's not yet a charging station on every corner, we still want to know whether or not we can make it to the next charger. The excellent trip planner covers that well.

Upvote 0
By defaulting to "miles", instead of percentage, Tesla sort of invites the range anxiety that generates these posts.

Yeah, Tesla should default to percentage and hide the switch to miles in the settings, accompanied by a notice that explains more about consumption.

Or they could even provide a web link... "Click here to ask on TMC why you're not getting EPA rated range".

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz and Park2670
Upvote 0
I will say one more thing on the topic this OP asked about, which is basically " Why does my car say 353 miles range rather than 358 miles range?"

I totally get this question. In fact, I had the same question in 2018 when I bought my model 3 Performance. The car at that time was rated for 310 miles range. When I got it home and got home charging installed a couple weeks later, I charged it to full, and it only charged to 307. I was like "WTF why did this only charge to 307?!?!"

I went on line, searched for the problem, ended up on a thread here, and said "oh... I see". The only real difference is, I didnt create a new thread, I went looking to see if there was something existing people were talking about, found a bunch of stuff, and started reading through it.

So, yeah I get the concern, and its not going away anytime soon. I just think "lemme create a thread on this" vs "lemme look for an existing answer to this" might be a generational gap thing, with me being older and leaning toward "lets look". I dont know that though, its just an opinion.

Upvote 0
Do? Swap with me for my 2018 LR-AWD with over 42k miles. It has its original EPA-rated 310 miles. I paid this kind of money and I still get every mile I paid for.

IMG_6317.jpeg

SMT shows Full Pack at 76.5kWh still, out of an estimated New Full Pack of 77.8kWh. Still using the top buffer.
IMG_6302.jpeg

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Upvote 0
I have no idea what the car would have said for range on full charge to 100% at initial delivery. Anything other that, realize you are dealing with a used car!

Still, I doubt the car will ever be delivered with a full charge to validate or even know the first full range assessment. That being said, I would think Tesla could make the range display the full EPA estimate upon initial delivery, since as most say, its just an estimate.

Many ICE cars have estimated range and real-time MPG estimates. I would say they are much more inconsistent than Tesla's range estimate. I seem to recall that VAG (Volkswagen Automotive Group) software has a fudge factor that can be applied to get the MPG/range estimates to vary by as much as +/-10%, just to make the consumer "feel good".

Upvote 0