Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do? Swap with me for my 2018 LR-AWD with over 42k miles. It has its original EPA-rated 310 miles. I paid this kind of money and I still get every mile I paid for.

View attachment 872925
SMT shows Full Pack at 76.5kWh still, out of an estimated New Full Pack of 77.8kWh. Still using the top buffer.
View attachment 872926
What does the bottom graph mean? Still using the buffer?

Upvote 0
What does the bottom graph mean? Still using the buffer?
image.jpeg

From SMT. My battery SOC here is only at around 58%, at 44kWh Remaining and Expected, so the orange bars are kind of distracting. And, the top orange bar and bottom bar are also confusing, since the bottom is just shifted over by the size of the bottom buffer, 3.4kWh.

But basically, the important things are over in the red rectangle, the NFP, New Full Pack is assumed to have been 77.8kWh. For newer models, that number is closer to 82kWh. The current size according to SMT is 76.5kWh, but that's still in the top buffer, which is above 75kWh. So, my 3 still shows its EPA-rated capacity of 310 miles. Not until that Full pack number drops below 75kWh, will it start to show any range deg to the user.

I've driven over 42k miles and over 4yrs since manufacture so, it's taking its time, and I don't mind. Why is it doing so well?

There's no real answer, but things that may help are colder latitude, but if that's the case, shouldn't we see more stories about cars in Norway and Canada doing really well?

The other thing that may help is I keep my charging SOC at 60% or lower. You'll see others recommend keeping at 55% or less, but I started at 60% over 3 years ago, and I thought I'd keep the original experiment going. I do charge much higher when on roadtrips, but I don't let my car sit at high SOCs.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Upvote 0