Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By defaulting to "miles", instead of percentage, Tesla sort of invites the range anxiety that generates these posts. We can switch to percentage, and most of us do, but I suspect a virtual gauge, broken down into "quarter tanks" as the main presentation of available charge would really cut down on the anxiety and worry. It's something most drivers are used to, and the newbies would find it familiar.

Actually, even in ICEVs, I like it when they have distance-to-empty readings, since the typical fuel gauges are too low resolution.

Tesla offers all three of percentage remaining, EPA miles remaining (note that this can also be used to track battery capacity loss over time), and (on the energy display) recent driving history based miles remaining, although there is no way to show all three at the same time. Having easy access to all three is a good thing.

Reactions: cpaull
Upvote 0
Actually, even in ICEVs, I like it when they have distance-to-empty readings, since the typical fuel gauges are too low resolution.
Yes, but when you fill up and it says "400 miles left" are you disturbed, or do you even notice, after 380 miles when it then says "14 miles left" ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have under 3k on car. Purchased car in August of 2022. Just charged to 100% for the first time and the range states 353. Supposed to be 358, I know not much but when you pay this kind of money you want every mile. What do I do?
5 miles? 5 miles? I've had my M3SR+ for 3.5 years 30K miles, I've lost 7.5 battery. Used to charge to 216 at 90% now it's 200. But.......If you have reasonably good wether (50-70F) and drive sensibility you go to main main and press Trips. Add that to the # miles left on battery ( icon I get 230-238 miles) Depends but a 5 mile loss. Don't even waste your time going to service center. Do you have Sentry on? Eats the battery. Do you have TeslaFi account. Eats the battery. I have a bunch of these little plugs that are wireless and have a bunch of devices connected to it. I either turn them off and on or turn them on and off via timers it saves a nice chunk of electricity due to vampire drain

Upvote 0
Just charged to 100% for the first time and the range states 353. Supposed to be 358, I know not much but when you pay this kind of money you want every mile. What do I do?
Know that you will never drive 353 miles on a single charge ever. You may drive 250-300 miles on a charge but rarely will you ever go under 10% SoC or about 30miles of range left. Fueling an ICE vehicle vs. an EV takes a different approach. You typically only charge your EV enough to get to the next DC charger or complete your trip and charge overnight on a level 1 or 2 charger. People who love to coast into a gas station on fumes and/or like to keep their vehicle fuel tank at above 3/4s full may have a bit of an adjustment period with an EV. I adjusted and now only fuel my ICE vehicle the same way I charge my EV, I put just enough fuel in my tank to get me to where I am going for a couple days instead of filling it up. Change your display to percent of charge and not miles and enjoy the ride!

Upvote 0
Just like MPG on an ice car, if you drive fast, accelerate hard, or idle the MPG will go down. If you do those things in a Tesla the range will drop. However they will creep back up over time if your driving habits change. Drive the speed limit and reduce playing with the screen and app and it will likely come back after some time.

Reactions: chrstna4
Upvote 0
The real answer to all of these "My car doesn't show the advertised range" is more DC fast chargers and faster charging. Once DC fast chargers are like gas stations "one on every corner" no one will really care. Lots of ICE vehicles show miles as well. no one really pays attention to it. There will always be a few people overly concerned with battery degradation, but for the most part I don't think it will be a concern. My subaru WRX would show 250 miles (distance to empty) when I would fill up and had been driving around town. Never cared once...

Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
Once DC fast chargers are like gas stations "one on every corner" no one will really care.

If your statement read "once DC fast chargers are like gas stations "one on every corner" AND "charging 150 miles only takes 10 minutes or less", then I would mostly agree that people would not learn not to care.

We also simply need time. Its "new" still for most people, and so they are hyper hyper vigilant about watching "everything" the car does. Even things they would not care about in previous cars, or not notice, they will in this one because it has "a battery".

People coming from other battery operated vehicles have no issues, because its not new to them anymore. The more people purchase their first plug in battery car (not a hybrid), the more will get used to how it works, and the fact that unless they are traveling salespeople, whether the car shows 358, 353 or 340 miles of range does not matter in the slightest in day to day operation, if you can charge the vehicle at home.

Upvote 0
5 miles? 5 miles? I've had my M3SR+ for 3.5 years 30K miles, I've lost 7.5 battery. Used to charge to 216 at 90% now it's 200. But.......If you have reasonably good wether (50-70F) and drive sensibility you go to main main and press Trips. Add that to the # miles left on battery ( icon I get 230-238 miles) Depends but a 5 mile loss. Don't even waste your time going to service center. Do you have Sentry on? Eats the battery. Do you have TeslaFi account. Eats the battery. I have a bunch of these little plugs that are wireless and have a bunch of devices connected to it. I either turn them off and on or turn them on and off via timers it saves a nice chunk of electricity due to vampire drain
Mine too, 3 1/2 years old with 13k on the odo and my 90% max is also ~200. My sentry consumes just about 1 mile for every 2 hours of operation. Big deal!

Upvote 0
Man you guys are savage. 🤣

1668102648253.png

• Funny
Reactions: toolman335
Upvote 0
I have under 3k on car. Purchased car in August of 2022. Just charged to 100% for the first time and the range states 353. Supposed to be 358, I know not much but when you pay this kind of money you want every mile. What do I do?
If you're having a meltdown over it showing 353, charge it to that amount then go for a drive and try to see how close to 353 that you get:eek:🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl and DrGriz
Upvote 0
I often wonder if people who worry a lot about what number the car says at 100% were that vigilant about an ICE car. I know some people had notebooks for number of gallons bought and number of miles driven between fueling stops. Is this concern just a personality type?
My ex-wife logged her miles and gallons. One of many things that drove me crazy and led to divorce LMAO

Upvote 0