Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Registration Colorado

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys, I am about to put in an order for the Model S on Saturday. One thing that's unclear to me is how much the vehicle registration is going to be. I live in Colorado and I know part of our registration is based on vehicle value...so I expect it will be high. Can anyone shed light on this? Thanks!

Colorado is a little different. Tesla will collect the State sales tax when you pickup your Model S. You will have to pay the county, city, and possibly RTD sales tax, plus the plate fees when you get your plate. I live in Parker, in Douglas County, so it was very painful...

Yeah it was a lot but I don't recall the amount. I remember that there is a 1% credit card fee and since that alone was a **** ton of money I came back a different day when I had my checkbook.

P.s. we'll have to have a little play date for our vehicles once yours arrives!

Any update on these numbers for Model X in 2017?

First you pay Sales Tax based on your home address tax rate. If the shop own the street charged 8.5%, that's what you'll pay for your car. If you're lucky enough to live in unincorporated land, you'll pay 2.9-5% depending on the county.

Then you pay License Fees which will range anywhere from $50-300 based on different nebulous reasons :)

Finally you pay an Ownership Tax, which varies by year as seen here:

Year 1, 2.1% of taxable value (85% MSRP).
Year 2, 1.5%.
Year 3 1.2%.
Year 4, 0.9%.
Years 5-9, 0.45%.

Assuming you're at $100,000, that means you can expect $1,785 plus sales tax for the first year, $1,275 year two, etc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrClown and gr2020