Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle sale and license plate question - Georgia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just sold my car (in Georgia, and to a friend) that the Model 3 replaced and was wondering -

1. Would any of you fellow Georgians know whether you can transfer a STANDARD license plate to the buyer (individual, not dealer) when you sell your car? I found a form (T-237) that authorizes the transfer of prestige/specialty plates - not sure whether I can just use this to authorize a standard license plate?

2. If the answer to 1 is no, are you (the seller) required to surrender the old plates/tag to the tag office - for the vehicle you just sold? Tesla applied for new plates/tags for the Model 3 and I plan to swap them out when they arrive, for an AFV plate (so I won't be transferring plates from the ICE that I sold).

3. Would you also happen to know how long you have after you sold the vehicle, to cancel registration and surrender plates to the tag office?

I spent much time asking google but came up with ambiguous answers. Hoping someone had prior experience and could throw some light.

Thanks in advance!!

Can't transfer the tag, and you don't have to turn it in to the tag office. Essentially, write your friend a bill of sale, sign the title, take your tag off and throw it away - give your friend the car. The rest is on him (he will have to register the car and pay the ad valorum tax, at which time he will get a tag for the car).

Hope this helps as I didn't fully read all of your questions.