Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle shutting down - PULL OVER SAFELY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this happened to me on Sunday whilst driving my son the 200 odd miles to Manchester taking him back for the start of uni...

Two messages popped up, firstly on saying rear motor disabled, then the above one telling me to pull over.

Called Tesla support and after taking me through soft and hard reboots and exiting the car for a few mins and test again, no luck. Can't get the M3 into drive, so recovery it is.

Ensue a nightmare of where are you, taxis and a POS Vauxhall Grandland X as a loan car I finally got to Manchester 5hrs later.

To rub salt into the wound, I got a text from the Birmingham service center asking me to authorise £87+VAT to diagnose my concerns... WTF, car is 7 months old and still under warranty... I told them to do one and I have left it with the fleet car company to sort out.

Day two and nothing yet... Some pics, we all love pics

Attachments

• IMG_20200823_124529.jpg
    IMG_20200823_124529.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20200823_124532.jpg
    IMG_20200823_124532.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_20200823_124543.jpg
    IMG_20200823_124543.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_20200823_143239.jpg
    IMG_20200823_143239.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20200823_143429.jpg
    IMG_20200823_143429.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: dfwatt and CMc1
Yup, as soon as I pulled over it disabled the front motor too.

View attachment 580643
I'm not a Tesla engineer, but it would appear a small tortoise has made his home near the front motor and possibly chewed something.

But seriously, hope it is a quick solution and they cover you with something decent in the meantime. The £87 diagnostic fee is such a joke when it's clearly not something the customer has done. They did the same to me when I had a whistling noise 30 minutes after picking my car up.

• Funny
Reactions: Gatsojon
To be honest I'm a bit pissed with them. From new I've had the 12v battery replaced twice, the rear lense had the water issue and now this. Feels like a Friday car.

I gave the loaner back as I have another car to use, so I don't need a 3cyl POS on my drive.

I'll chase them tmr as it's poor that I've not heard yet. Having said that I got a customer satisfaction survey.... Let's just say my response was a bit if a rant

Wow, two 12V batteries in 7 months. Surely, that’s an indication of a significant underlying problem. Did Tesla Service get to the bottom of this issue?
Nope, nothing from them at all. I honestly am not sure I would replace the M3P with another Tesla, hopefully in 2 years time there will be some descent competition to them. One thing I am sure about, and that is j would never spend £60k of my own money on a Tesla

agree this sounds scary, but just for some context - I had a brand new VW Passat diesel, within 300 miles from new the NoX sensor on the back of the turbo literally fell out of its mounting, it hadn’t been bolted in tight from factory.

When VW assist and the dealer tried to order the replacement part (apparently a NoX sensor banging around on a hot turbo tends to ruin the sensor ...) - none in stock. Across the whole of Europe. And Skoda. And Audi.

ETA .... Unknown. I had their sales manager’s car for a month before the part mysteriously turned up.

Hopefully the OP gets some good news soon on timescale and a working car :)

The no ETA thing is a pain in that I gave back the hire car optimistically thinking it would be a quick fix. Tesla have now said they don't have a loaned, and whilst it's not a biggie this week, next week I need to do some business miles, which I don't want to put on my Audi.

I said lease, but it's a company car, which I believe we purchase outright, just use a fleet company to manage for us.

Fleet company have asked Tesla to give me a car, but I'm not holding my breath.