Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle shutting down warning [bad drive unit]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 M3LR initially gave me a rear motor disabled and reduced power warning then after driving for few miles, I decided to park the car. Turned it off then come out of the car and went back in. But this time it won't let me drive and gave me the vehicle shutting down warning. Luckily I was able to park the car safely.
Currently waiting for a tow truck...

Reactions: Taxvictim
My point is I have an EV car and they should give me an EV loaner as well. I bought an EV to save on gas and if they are giving me an ICE car, they should atleast pay the difference of gas expenses vs electricity.
You may think so, but there’s nothing in your purchase contract that entitles you to an EV loaner. Most service centers stopped providing Tesla loaners a while back, so they either provide a rental like yours or Uber credits, depending on the circumstances.

Unacceptable. Thanks for sharing. Tesla service HAS to change.
2 weeks to order a part which is used daily (!) by the thousands(!) in Fremont/Austin/Shanghai/Berlin. That's crazy stuff and shows the ignorance to customer service. I dont expect them to hold a few drive units in their SC inventory at all times... but maybe do a "rushed" order which shouldn't take more than a few days max (versus putting the part on the normal truck which brings non urgent parts to the SC).

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
I assume OP meant 2 weeks for the part to arrive, not two weeks to order it. Not really unheard of right now with parts shortages, our Hyundai EV had a months-long backorder of a charging module recently too. Two weeks goes by quick. The whole industry is like this right now.

2 weeks to order a part which is used daily (!) by the thousands(!) in Fremont/Austin/Shanghai/Berlin.
The problem isn't the quantity of parts available, it's that they are all being prioritized for new car builds. With that said, I hope they update this part with a newer revision. 2021/2022 M3 and MYs are dropping like flies with this same issue it seems.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I assume OP meant 2 weeks for the part to arrive, not two weeks to order it. Not really unheard of right now with parts shortages, our Hyundai EV had a months-long backorder of a charging module recently too. Two weeks goes by quick. The whole industry is like this right now.

The problem isn't the quantity of parts available, it's that they are all being prioritized for new car builds. With that said, I hope they update this part with a newer revision. 2021/2022 M3 and MYs are dropping like flies with this same issue it seems.
maybe they should prioritize service higher even if it means siphoning off a few hundred parts per month from the production lines (...) 2 weeks delivery time for a part being in stock at domestic factories is unacceptable. at least Hyundai has as an excuse that their EVs are made in Korea and the parts are likely coming from there.

did Tesla change the drive units from 2018-2020 model years ? Drive unit failures used to be quite rare

These are the parts that they replaced on my M3.
Screenshot_20220622-091232_Office.jpg

This was our 3rd drive (on a Saturday) in our recently delivered 2022 MX refresh with less than 90 miles on the odometer when all of a sudden while driving on a highway we received a warning in the instrument cluster screen "PULL OVER SAFELY" and "Vehicle shutting down". The vehicle immediately started to buck and shake violently as I struggled to get it on the shoulder without being in an accident. The message below the car pic in the instrument cluster stated "Power Reduced - OK to drive" and below that it stated "Front motor temporarily disabled" and an emoji of an orange turtle was to the left of the message. This really shook up my wife and myself and we were dazed and confused for a few moments as the alert chime was ringing in sets of three rings. We decided to reset (hard boot) the system by holding the two thumbwheels down and let the system reset itself. The result was the same condition as before with same warning messages and alert chimes going off. We messaged Tesla service and they arranged a flatbed tow truck which arrived within the hour. We were informed by the Tesla service rep that our car was being taken to our local service center. We called a friend to come pick us up from were we broke down. We are waiting to hear from the technicians after this weekend passes. This has really shaken our faith in making this Tesla MX purchase especially since we waited 14 months for delivery and paid way more than we ever paid for a car because we thought we would get a couple hundred thousand miles out of it. Can't wait to hear what went wrong.

This was our 3rd drive (on a Saturday) in our recently delivered 2022 MX refresh with less than 90 miles on the odometer when all of a sudden while driving on a highway we received a warning in the instrument cluster screen "PULL OVER SAFELY" and "Vehicle shutting down". The vehicle immediately started to buck and shake violently as I struggled to get it on the shoulder without being in an accident. The message below the car pic in the instrument cluster stated "Power Reduced - OK to drive" and below that it stated "Front motor temporarily disabled" and an emoji of an orange turtle was to the left of the message. This really shook up my wife and myself and we were dazed and confused for a few moments as the alert chime was ringing in sets of three rings. We decided to reset (hard boot) the system by holding the two thumbwheels down and let the system reset itself. The result was the same condition as before with same warning messages and alert chimes going off. We messaged Tesla service and they arranged a flatbed tow truck which arrived within the hour. We were informed by the Tesla service rep that our car was being taken to our local service center. We called a friend to come pick us up from were we broke down. We are waiting to hear from the technicians after this weekend passes. This has really shaken our faith in making this Tesla MX purchase especially since we waited 14 months for delivery and paid way more than we ever paid for a car because we thought we would get a couple hundred thousand miles out of it. Can't wait to hear what went wrong.
So here is the update on what caused our problem. According to the Tesla technician the front motor inverter failed and had to be replaced. This is the unit that converts battery power for the electric motor’s use. The impressive part of this experience was that Tesla worked on our car Saturday and Sunday so we could pick it up Monday.

2 weeks to order a part which is used daily (!) by the thousands(!) in Fremont/Austin/Shanghai/Berlin. That's crazy stuff and shows the ignorance to customer service. I dont expect them to hold a few drive units in their SC inventory at all times... but maybe do a "rushed" order which shouldn't take more than a few days max (versus putting the part on the normal truck which brings non urgent parts to the SC).
Be glad you're not driving one of the new Ford Bronco's. Some of them the motors are imploding and they're on a 50 day backorder right now from what i understand.

going to get my MYP and my sis MYP delivery this thursday. plan to go on road trip, after read all this issue. thinking to cancel my trip since happening to many of you guys
I'm not sure I would equate a few people on a web forum complaining about an issue makes it widespread. This of the tens of thousands not having this issue. Not belittling those with it (which certainly sucks), but I doubt it's all that common.

Picked up my M3P last week and in a couple we're headed to MN for a week. I'm more concerned about sitting at chargers for the extra ~90 minutes on the drive than anything heh.

I'm not sure I would equate a few people on a web forum complaining about an issue makes it widespread. This of the tens of thousands not having this issue. Not belittling those with it (which certainly sucks), but I doubt it's all that common.

Picked up my M3P last week and in a couple we're headed to MN for a week. I'm more concerned about sitting at chargers for the extra ~90 minutes on the drive than anything heh.
aaah... the issue is at least known and published by Tesla in China ( likely regulatory pressure) and impacting nearly 130k vehicles.... Tesla Recalls 127,785 Model 3s in China Due to Rear Motor Inverter Defect

I'd bet the inverter issues / drive unit failures here on brand new 2022 cars have a similar background

Reactions: ufo22 and In4lo