Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle stops while driving... PRND turns red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi my car is 2015 85.
recently replaced eMMc with recall.
Starting about week ago, car suddenly stops while PRND turns into red.
3EE80C65-D959-43AA-968A-EE2AF9CEDEAA.jpeg

And today this happens while I was driving highway. I was turning on AC because it felt so weak. Suddenly this happens and car stops driving. I have to wait for about 5-10 sec on letting it drive by Neutral gear.
when I turn AC back on, this happens within a minutes, and the interval gets shorter. At the end, i started driving without AC.

what is the problem? I booked SC immediately but i have to wait for a week.
Thanks for your input

I had the same symptom, while highway driving my 2017 MS 90D, a few weeks after the eMMC replacement. I don't remember if I had AC on, but I shifted to N and came to a full stop (at an exit ramp...) after receiving a couple of error messages (driving not possible, front motor deactivated, no emergency braking, no Auto-speed ). After opening the the driver door and frunk to secure the car I noticed that the PRND had returned to normal white letters and I was able to shift to D and continue my trip normally. While Supercharging I called Tesla to check my status and pull logs, but they were not able to find any specific reason (after asking me to reboot the MCU and shut down the car completely. No problems reoccured sind then during 4000 km.

I had the same symptom, while highway driving my 2017 MS 90D, a few weeks after the eMMC replacement. I don't remember if I had AC on, but I shifted to N and came to a full stop (at an exit ramp...) after receiving a couple of error messages (driving not possible, front motor deactivated, no emergency braking, no Auto-speed ). After opening the the driver door and frunk to secure the car I noticed that the PRND had returned to normal white letters and I was able to shift to D and continue my trip normally. While Supercharging I called Tesla to check my status and pull logs, but they were not able to find any specific reason (after asking me to reboot the MCU and shut down the car completely. No problems reoccured sind then during 4000 km.
appreciate your input.

However, I received a confirmation from Tesla Service Center at South Korea that DU and main battery have problem.
worst nightmare ever.

Reactions: rickyjb
This will happen more frequently over time. Go to SC immediately.
I scheduled an appointment, I guess they pulled the logs and determined my front drive unit is dying. I only know that because they rescheduled the appointment on the basis of waiting for parts. I had to ask what parts and they simply said front drive unit. They didn't say whether or not I should be driving the car in the meantime. I have a trip out of town scheduled before the appointment, let's hope the DU doesn't kick the bucket on the way there.

WOW !!! Here is US there is really no way to "Call Tesla". You are lucky.

M

Reactions: Wol747
I scheduled an appointment, I guess they pulled the logs and determined my front drive unit is dying. I only know that because they rescheduled the appointment on the basis of waiting for parts. I had to ask what parts and they simply said front drive unit. They didn't say whether or not I should be driving the car in the meantime. I have a trip out of town scheduled before the appointment, let's hope the DU doesn't kick the bucket on the way there.
Is your warranty still valid? DU cost a lot, and I am just one of the unlucky one here. But once again, 6 years old car shouldn’t have DU problem. This is a quality issue.

Welp, I just got home from my trip out of town. On the way back the car went into limp mode. I'm still waiting for parts, so I hope Tesla can get me a loaner, otherwise I won't have a car to get me to work Tuesday.

PXL_20211009_191647127.jpg

sorry for what happened. At least you are getting a brand new RDU. Unfortunately I am still at oversea military base, and my car's been stuck at the base parking lot.
That sucks man. Taking longer than I expected. I was originally told I would get it about a week later. Now looking like it's going to be longer. Been driving wife's gas car for the last couple days. Not cool.