Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle surrounding display mostly cars in front of me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new owner of model 3 standard range without self driving package. I noticed when I am driving the vehicle there is an area on the touch screen where cars surrounding me is being displayed. Mostly cars in front of me are being displayed; cars behind me are not shown unless one is right up behind me extremely closely. Is this normal?

I can sort of rotate the view by dragging and pinching the screen. It seems the system is aware of cars behind me, but not showing it due to a default zoom level.

I can switch to a beta self-driving visualization mode where the zoom level is not as severe, but still not great...

Well, since you are driving forward, the cars in front of you and beside you are what the software deems most important.

Having said that, I do wish they would show the cars coming up beside you a little sooner.
It's already really easy to see the cars in front of you, they're right there in front of you, after all. I'd say they are the least important to show. At least with the horrible rearview visibility in the Y that display might become marginally useful if it showed what was behind you more clearly-- especially the ones coming up fast.

Reactions: Transformer
It's already really easy to see the cars in front of you, they're right there in front of you, after all. I'd say they are the least important to show. At least with the horrible rearview visibility in the Y that display might become marginally useful if it showed what was behind you more clearly-- especially the ones coming up fast.
Agree to disagree. The software is interested in the cars in front of it from a safety standpoint. The purpose of the safety features is to react faster than a human to prevent accidents. How often are you distracted and take your eyes off of what is in front of you?

Are you really serious about wanting to take your eyes off of the rear view mirror and look at the screen to see a vehicle flying up behind you?

Agree to disagree. The software is interested in the cars in front of it from a safety standpoint. The purpose of the safety features is to react faster than a human to prevent accidents. How often are you distracted and take your eyes off of what is in front of you?

Are you really serious about wanting to take your eyes off of the rear view mirror and look at the screen to see a vehicle flying up behind you?
The car and the software should be very interested in what's in front of me; we're talking about what it chooses to display to be most useful to the driver.

As I've said before in other threads I find the use of that much screen area to show something you probably shouldn't be looking at anyway to be a really dumb use of space. So no, I don't want to and won't look at the screen rather than the road, hence my "marginally useful" comment. I have looked at it occasionally to try to see what's in my blind spots, usually to no avail. I'd ditch the whole display in a minute.

Reactions: iloveplywood