Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Vehicle Systems Very Hot. Charge Speed Reduced"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a recent trip from San Diego to Phoenix, we used the SCs at Yuma and Gila Bend. Ambient was around 105 and we had the AC in range mode. I charged in Yuma to ~130% of the rated range to Gila Bend. With about 60 miles to Gila Bend, we had 90 miles rated remaining so I picked up the pace a bit. We hit 0 miles remaining as we coasted in to the SC.
After plugging in, the charge rate was limited to 10 kW for the first 5 minutes or so. Apparently zero SOC and high ambient limit SC rate.
Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone experimented with the minimum SOC to prevent limiting at high ambient temperature?

Follow up - I took the car in for its annual inspection last week. In reviewing the logs, tech found "thermal alert present", fault code THC_w0130_radLeftShutrNoFeedbk. Performed activation test, found left shutter faulty, replaced, performed thermal test, no further faults at this time.

So, I assume that my slow charging issue can be traced to a hot battery from high speed run with range mode on and a faulty shutter limiting the cooling system efficiency. I am surprised that the shutter failure did not result in an alert.

Follow up - I took the car in for its annual inspection last week. In reviewing the logs, tech found "thermal alert present", fault code THC_w0130_radLeftShutrNoFeedbk. Performed activation test, found left shutter faulty, replaced, performed thermal test, no further faults at this time.

So, I assume that my slow charging issue can be traced to a hot battery from high speed run with range mode on and a faulty shutter limiting the cooling system efficiency. I am surprised that the shutter failure did not result in an alert.

Driving in range mode has no impact on battery cooling. It limits output to the cabin, not the battery.